Re: Natural alternatives to Fibreglass cloth?

  • chodges31711
    Message 1 of 28 , Jul 1, 2004
      Standard concrete like that in your driveway and most structural
      concrete is 3000 psi minimum in 28 days. You can buy harder mixes,
      up to 6000 psi, if you need it to resist higher point loading like
      bulldozer cleats or vibrating machines. There are different types of
      cement and many different admixtures.

      Structural steel, ASTM A36, has a minimum yield point of 36,000 psi.
      Most structural shapes are also available in a high strength steel
      that is 50,000 psi minimum.

      Charles

      but strength
      > figures for epoxy under 10kpsi. I think with ferro cement, the
      cement
      > might be able to take more of the compression load, as you
      describe,
      > and as I recall portland cement is ok in compression and terrible
      in
      > tension. I also seem to recall epoxy has some strength in both
      tension
      > and compression, but nothing like what you see with glass added.
      ?
    • rogerleroy
      Message 2 of 28 , Jul 1, 2004
        Just buy the darn fiberglass and be done with it!
        It'll be much easier to deal with, as strong, and your boat will be
        back in the water in no time!
        It is summer after all... at least here on Cape Cod...!
        Cheers!
        :-)

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Justin Meddock" <jmeddock@n...>