Re: [bolger] Flag Protocol

  • Bob Johnson
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 27, 2004
      Forgive me if someone else has already mentioned this, I've been on
      vacation for a week an d am working my way through a weeks worth of
      Bolger Digests.

      On a sail rig with a gaff or yard, the traditional place for the US
      Ensign (either the 50 stars or the circle & anchor version) is at the
      peak of the gaff, that is at the top, rear edge of the sail, on the
      aftermost mast in the case of vessels with more than one mast. The
      2/3s up the leech on a marconi sail came about in approximation of
      where the gaff would be if the sail were a gaff main with a topsail set
      above.

      The Coast Guard Auxiliary and the US Power Squadron both have info on
      flag protocol on their web sites.

      Bob
    • pvanderwaart
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 27, 2004
        > The 2/3s up the leech on a marconi sail came about in
        > approximation of where the gaff would be if the sail were
        > a gaff main with a topsail set above.

        Government thinking. How else could it be put in such an
        unsatisfactory place.

        Peter
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 1, 2004
          Thanks Bob, I appreciate your advice. My boat has a gaff mainsail, and
          a triangular mizzen sail. The 'mixed' advice I get from the
          rec.cruising newsgroup is to fly the national emblem from 2/3rds up
          the leech of the mizzen. If I were to attach the flag to the main
          gaff, would the top grommet fasten to the tip of the gaff, and the
          bottom grommet to the leech of the sail?

          On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 17:34:55 -0400, Bob Johnson <dredbob@...> wrote:

          > Forgive me if someone else has already mentioned this, I've been on
          > vacation for a week an d am working my way through a weeks worth of
          > Bolger Digests.
          >
          > On a sail rig with a gaff or yard, the traditional place for the US
          > Ensign (either the 50 stars or the circle & anchor version) is at the
          > peak of the gaff, that is at the top, rear edge of the sail, on the
          > aftermost mast in the case of vessels with more than one mast. The
          > 2/3s up the leech on a marconi sail came about in approximation of
          > where the gaff would be if the sail were a gaff main with a topsail set
          > above.
          >
          > The Coast Guard Auxiliary and the US Power Squadron both have info on
          > flag protocol on their web sites.
          >
          > Bob

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Bob Johnson
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 1, 2004
            Bruce,

            The advice from rec.cruising is correct. The aftermost mast is the
            place of honor for the national ensign. It is also now considered
            correct to fly from a stern staff, if your boat will permit it.

            Here are links to a couple of articles I found (there are entire books
            on the subject, because flag flying used to be taken much more
            seriously).

            <http://www.sailnet.com/collections/articles/
            index.cfm?articleid=rousma0041>

            <http://www.usps.org/f_stuff/etiquett.html#honoring-o-n-flags>

            Historically, ensigns were originally flown from stern staffs from the
            high quarter decks of square rigged sailing vessels. Then with the
            advent of fore-and-aft rig and the overhanging long boom typical then,
            this position was no longer usable. Hence the shift to the peak of the
            gaff of the aftermost mast. Then came the shift to marconi sail and the
            move to the 2/3rds up the leech of the aftermost mast. Now that most
            production sailboats have short booms, the stern staff has begun to
            come back into acceptance. Also, many have substituted 2/3rds up the
            back stay for the leech, if the backstay would interfere. The aft end
            of the ship has been the position of honor since at least roman times
            because that is where the high muckety-mucks always have congregated:)

            Bob

            On Thursday, July 1, 2004, at 05:55 PM, bolger@yahoogroups.com wrote:

            > Message: 9
            > Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 07:58:24 -0700
            > From: Bruce Hallman <bruce@...>
            > Subject: Re: Flag Protocol
            >
            > Thanks Bob, I appreciate your advice. My boat has a gaff mainsail, and
            > a triangular mizzen sail. The 'mixed' advice I get from the
            > rec.cruising newsgroup is to fly the national emblem from 2/3rds up
            > the leech of the mizzen. If I were to attach the flag to the main
            > gaff, would the top grommet fasten to the tip of the gaff, and the
            > bottom grommet to the leech of the sail?
            >

            > On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 17:34:55 -0400, Bob Johnson <dredbob@...>
            > wrote:
            >>
            >> Forgive me if someone else has already mentioned this, I've been on
            >> vacation for a week an d am working my way through a weeks worth of
            >> Bolger Digests.
            >>
            >> On a sail rig with a gaff or yard, the traditional place for the US
            >> Ensign (either the 50 stars or the circle & anchor version) is at the
            >> peak of the gaff, that is at the top, rear edge of the sail, on the
            >> aftermost mast in the case of vessels with more than one mast. The
            >> 2/3s up the leech on a marconi sail came about in approximation of
            >> where the gaff would be if the sail were a gaff main with a topsail
            >> set
            >> above.
            >>
            >> The Coast Guard Auxiliary and the US Power Squadron both have info on
            >> flag protocol on their web sites.
            >>
            >> Bob
            >>

            >> Bolger rules!!!
          • kiwidadd
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 1, 2004
              Bruce
              from an old naval fella, for yr gaff mainsail the flag halyard should
              be attached: upper block to upper/outer end of gaff, lower
              fastening to tack point of boom. for singlehanded adjustments,
              bring the halyard back from the tack point along the boom, until you
              can reach the fastening from the cockpit.
              howard