[bolger] Re: New Member

  • harding2@home.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 26, 1999
      "chuck leinweber" <duckwork-@...> wrote:
      original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/?start=365
      > Robert:
      >
      > Welcome to the group. It has only been in existence for a couple of
      months,
      > so you haven't missed much (in case you haven't read the archives)
      >
      > Common sense boats is what used to be CSD. A you may remember that a
      while
      > back Bernie took on Jerry Estes as a partner. Well, now Jerry is the
      > apparent sole proprietor of the slightly renamed business. Bernie
      may still
      > be doing the html stuff. Here is the url:
      > http://www.common-sense-boats.com/
      >
      > I still have some of the old newsletters from Bernie too. I bought
      the
      > plans for my Tennessee from CSD.
      >
      > I like the pumps. The manufacturers all seem to have them, and they
      seem to
      > fit each others jugs. I use a lot of polyurethane casting resin in
      my work.
      > It comes in paint type cans and I mix it in plastic containers using a
      > measuring stick like David suggested. It works fine, and If I didn't
      have
      > pumps, I would measure epoxy that way too.
      >
      > I think you will like the table saw, Robert. Many years ago, I had
      to sell
      > and old craftsman cast iron one like you described, when we moved, and
      > couldn't take it. I soon had to get a Delta model to replace it. I
      use
      > mine a lot.
      >
      > Chuck
      >
      > > Hello All!
      > >
      > > Just joined this list. Can't believe it took so long to find it.
      > >
      > > A few questions:
      > >
      > > There have been several comments about a "Common Sense Boats" web
      site.
      > > What is the address and is it still run by Bernie? I really miss
      the old
      > > newsletter. I think I have almost every issue, including the old
      ones
      > from
      > > Elrow LaRowe.
      > >
      > > Like many of you, I own multiple plans (but no boats yet!)
      including Micro
      > > (Bought 1990!), Windsprint and the 15'6" Work Skiff. Am planning
      to start
      > > Windsprint next week. Several of you have used Fiberglass
      Coatings, my
      > > hometown store (a really neat store to visit). My only problem
      with them
      > is
      > > the lack of the really clever West System metered pumps. How do you
      > > measure? With the little graduated cups?
      > >
      > > Finally, I've read every post over the past few days and noticed
      some
      > > discussion about saws (circular and table). About two months ago I
      went
      > > Home Depot to buy one of the $189.00 bench top table saws. Right
      next to
      > it
      > > was the Dewalt at $469.00. I left with the Dewalt and the $69.00
      stand.
      > > Yes it is horribly expensive. But with the addition of the
      accessory
      > > (another $90) side and outfeed extensions, I have better
      functionality
      > than
      > > my dad's full sized 1962 Craftsman Cast Iron Tablesaw (because of
      the rack
      > > and pinion fence). And it rests happily under my workbench in the
      Garage
      > > when not in use. This saw is proff that Black and Decker engineers
      can
      > make
      > > really good tools (B&D owns DeWalt)

      Just saw this message. Think you made a really good decision on the
      Dewalt. We looked at all the options really hard. The fences and angle
      setting capacity of most of the portable table top saws just wasn't
      very good. We opted for a small Jet cast iron table saw that was
      comprable in price to some of the better portable saws but still covet
      the DeWalt. The Fence system is superb.
      Best Wishes on Your Project.
      Leander

    • boatschool@boatbuilding.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 3 2:00 PM
        I have recently purchased a small boatbuilding school on Vancouver
        Island. As an expert in boat lumber, I leave a lot to be desired as a
        builder. One of the areas that I need to "wrap my head around" is the
        choice of boat designs for the upcoming year. (2000) While we are a
        wooden boat school, dealing with small (18' or less) boats, I don't
        want to be caught up in the "authentic" mode. I certainly appreciate
        beautiful lapstrake boats, and Whitehalls, etc., but the demand around
        here is for "functional" rather than "traditional". I have heard so
        much about Mr. Bolgers "common sense boats" that I thought I might try
        to find out more information.

        Looking forward to hearing your comments, suggestions and ideas.
      • dukepryer@eisa.net.au
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 16 6:35 AM
          G'day having only recently joined the group ,I would like to say what
          a great source of info it is. A well as a great sounding board for
          ideas.

          I am currently building a Long Micro and am constructing a web site
          documenting the same.
          Feel free to have a look at http://members.tripod.com/rivalduke/
          I am trying to update as often as I can.

          If anyone out there has any feedback on the use of copper epoxy
          antifoul .I would welcome any feedback.

          Slowly progressing construction

          Andrew Pryer

          Victoria
          Austalia
        • Jan FaviĆ©
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 16 7:32 AM
            the best construction site i ever saw!

            jan
            holland
            G'day having only recently joined the group ,I would like to say what
            a great source of info it is. A well as a great sounding board for
            ideas.

            I am currently building a Long Micro and am constructing a web site
            documenting the same.
            Feel free to have a look at http://members.tripod.com/rivalduke/
            I am trying to update as often as I can.

            If anyone out there has any feedback on the use of copper epoxy
            antifoul .I would welcome any feedback.

            Slowly progressing construction

            Andrew Pryer

            Victoria
            Austalia

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Bolger rules!!!

          • colncath@bigpond.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 17 7:06 AM
              --
              Andrew,
              Congratulations on a fantastic website - great photo,s

              Regards

              Col Mooney

            • ellengaest@boatbuilding.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 18 4:34 PM
                Andrew,
                A warm welcome to the group and thanks for the link to your web
                page! Looking over your construction pictures brought me back to when
                I was building my Micro. I'll bet it will serve as an excellent
                reference page for future Long Micro builders and many others seeking
                to be inspired by your excellent building methods.Surely this is not
                your first boat.........
                The use of a strong-back has got to be the solo builders all time
                best"tool" and your pictures certainly illustrate just how sensible a
                boat building project can be when a strong-back is used.
                Please keep us posted regarding your construction and continued
                success with your Long Micro!
                Sincerely,
                Peter Lenihan
                Micro"LESTAT"

                --- In bolger@y..., dukepryer@e... wrote:
                > G'day having only recently joined the group ,I would like to say
                what
                > a great source of info it is. A well as a great sounding board for
                > ideas.
                >
                > I am currently building a Long Micro and am constructing a web site
                > documenting the same.
                > Feel free to have a look at http://members.tripod.com/rivalduke/
                > I am trying to update as often as I can.
                >
                > If anyone out there has any feedback on the use of copper epoxy
                > antifoul .I would welcome any feedback.
                >

                > Slowly progressing construction
                >
                > Andrew Pryer
                >
                > Victoria
                > Austalia
              • Tracy
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 3, 2009
                  Just a note to say hello to the group. I have been a fan of Phil Bolger since I became interested in boats many years ago. I read every "Small Boat Journal" magazine I could find and always looked to Phil's "Cartoons" first and usually spent many time going back over his designs many times before wearing out the magazine.

                  Phil had so many designs that caught my eye there is no way I could take up that much space nor could I remember them all but as I am looking to downsize my living space I can say the "Watervan" and the "Houseboat" are the two that mose interest me now. I am looking for information on both those at this time.

                  I look forward to searching the group files and pictures and seeing all those Bolger designs in an archive once again.

                  Thanks for letting me join this group and know that Phil will be missed even way down here in Texas.

                  Tracy Roberts