Re: Flat / curved ?

  • alternateuser2001
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 2, 2004
      Thanks people ...
      that 's a LOT of info, a lot to think about as well.
      I'm off to make some planns and sketches !

      Thanks again .

      Sincere greetings,

      M.Hulleman
    • craig o'donnell
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 2, 2004
        >If anyone would be so kind as to explain this a little I would be
        >very gratefull for that.
        >Also my earlier offer; to be willing to search for anything "Dutch-
        >related" still stands, ok ?!
        >
        >Sincere greetings,
        >
        >M.Hulleman

        But there are also Dutch boats with flat bottoms!
        --
        Craig O'Donnell
        Sinepuxent Ancestors & Boats

        -- Macintosh kinda guy
        Friend of Wanda the Wonder Cat, 1991-1997.
        _________________________________
      • craig o'donnell
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 2, 2004
          >But that leaves me with the question: for a sort-of "narrow-like-
          >shanty-boat", the flatt hull ( 'box-style' they call it
          >at 'cimplicityboats') like f.o. off Bolger's Tennessee , isn't a good
          >idea ,because this boat isn't going to plane over the water...??

          If a boat is going to go very slow, then the "barge shape: or "scow shape"
          is no problem. When scow shapes are very large they are very efficient load
          carriers. Keep the transom out of the water. In the case of the scow keep
          both transoms out of the water.

          There is another reason for flat bottom boats. In the USA, many small
          working boats were "crossplanked" that is the boards on the bottom were
          nailed across. This makes for an easily built, cheap and very strong hull.
          Sometimes there is a little "V" to the bottom but the principle remains the
          same.

          Cheap and strong is what the fishermen wanted.

          --
          Craig O'Donnell
          Sinepuxent Ancestors & Boats
          Plywood Boats, Bamboo Rafts, &c.
          _________________________________

          -- Macintosh kinda guy
          Friend of Wanda the Wonder Cat, 1991-1997.
          _________________________________
        • Roger Derby
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 2, 2004
            One other issue with flat surfaces -- they "oil can." By introducing a
            curve (aka arch) the stresses do not reverse and the material/structure
            lasts longer.

            Roger
            derbyrm@...
            derbyrm.mystarband.net/default.htm

            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 2, 2004
              One good reason would be a softer ride, no pounding, however if you are
              building a slow moving flat bottomed boat you wont need to be concerned too
              much about it....
              Grant