Re: Flat / curved ?

  • pvanderwaart
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 2, 2004
      There are many complicating factors, and many different ideas. Boat
      shape questions do not have single answers.

      The weight of the boat is an important factor. The lighter a boat is,
      the flatter the bottom will be. A light boat can't push a rounded
      shape deep enough into the water. Tenessee is very light for her
      size. Bolger uses a very flat bottom so the boat does not go deep in
      the water. It only has to push a little surface water aside as it
      moves along. (And it is an easy shape to build.)

      A shanty boat built on a barge-like shape will have a flat bottom
      because it is easy to build and will float in shallow water. It will
      never go anywere fast, so the shape does not have to be very
      boatlike. The flat bottom will also rock the least.

      Peter

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "alternateuser2001"
      <alternateuser2001@y...> wrote:

      > Thank you very much !! Wow ! that cleared up a LOT , for me that
      is -
      > the whole "hull-form" issue 's much more clear now . And how
      logical
      > it is, when you think of it; what would move the easiest through
      > water - a square block or a needle ?! (why didn't I think of
      > that ...;)Thanks!
      >
      > But that leaves me with the question: for a sort-of "narrow-like-
      > shanty-boat", the flatt hull ( 'box-style' they call it
      > at 'cimplicityboats') like f.o. off Bolger's Tennessee , isn't a
      good
      > idea ,because this boat isn't going to plane over the water...??
    • alternateuser2001
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 2, 2004
        Thanks people ...
        that 's a LOT of info, a lot to think about as well.
        I'm off to make some planns and sketches !

        Thanks again .

        Sincere greetings,

        M.Hulleman
      • craig o'donnell
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 2, 2004
          >If anyone would be so kind as to explain this a little I would be
          >very gratefull for that.
          >Also my earlier offer; to be willing to search for anything "Dutch-
          >related" still stands, ok ?!
          >
          >Sincere greetings,
          >
          >M.Hulleman

          But there are also Dutch boats with flat bottoms!
          --
          Craig O'Donnell
          Sinepuxent Ancestors & Boats

          -- Macintosh kinda guy
          Friend of Wanda the Wonder Cat, 1991-1997.
          _________________________________
        • craig o'donnell
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 2, 2004
            >But that leaves me with the question: for a sort-of "narrow-like-
            >shanty-boat", the flatt hull ( 'box-style' they call it
            >at 'cimplicityboats') like f.o. off Bolger's Tennessee , isn't a good
            >idea ,because this boat isn't going to plane over the water...??

            If a boat is going to go very slow, then the "barge shape: or "scow shape"
            is no problem. When scow shapes are very large they are very efficient load
            carriers. Keep the transom out of the water. In the case of the scow keep
            both transoms out of the water.

            There is another reason for flat bottom boats. In the USA, many small
            working boats were "crossplanked" that is the boards on the bottom were
            nailed across. This makes for an easily built, cheap and very strong hull.
            Sometimes there is a little "V" to the bottom but the principle remains the
            same.

            Cheap and strong is what the fishermen wanted.

            --
            Craig O'Donnell
            Sinepuxent Ancestors & Boats
            Plywood Boats, Bamboo Rafts, &c.
            _________________________________

            -- Macintosh kinda guy
            Friend of Wanda the Wonder Cat, 1991-1997.
            _________________________________
          • Roger Derby
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 2, 2004
              One other issue with flat surfaces -- they "oil can." By introducing a
              curve (aka arch) the stresses do not reverse and the material/structure
              lasts longer.

              Roger
              derbyrm@...
              derbyrm.mystarband.net/default.htm

              > There are many complicating factors, and many different ideas. Boat
              > shape questions do not have single answers.
              >
              > The weight of the boat is an important factor. The lighter a boat is,
              > the flatter the bottom will be. A light boat can't push a rounded
              > shape deep enough into the water. Tenessee is very light for her
              > size. Bolger uses a very flat bottom so the boat does not go deep in
              > the water. It only has to push a little surface water aside as it
              > moves along. (And it is an easy shape to build.)
              >
              > A shanty boat built on a barge-like shape will have a flat bottom
              > because it is easy to build and will float in shallow water. It will
              > never go anywere fast, so the shape does not have to be very
              > boatlike. The flat bottom will also rock the least.
              >
              > Peter
            • grant corson
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 2, 2004
                One good reason would be a softer ride, no pounding, however if you are
                building a slow moving flat bottomed boat you wont need to be concerned too
                much about it....
                Grant