Re: Interesting artcle on ALERT

  • pauldayau
    Message 1 of 25 , Jun 2, 2004
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, David Ryan <david@c...> wrote:
      > >> OK david I give up. just whatis fetch? do I need a rod or
      handline
      > >to catch one?
      >
      > Wave size is determined by how hard the wind blows, how long it
      > blows, and the distance over which it blow (fetch).
      >
      > A gale blowing for a day across a pond will not develop the same
      size
      > waves as a 20 knot wind blowing for a week across 1000 miles of
      open
      > ocean.
      >
      > YIBB,
      >
      > David
      > --

      Arrrgggh. I get it . it was a good job thatwe were at the start of
      the lake rather that 60 kms north at the end of the lake. At that end
      the water basically flooded out of the lake floor and poisoned a big
      area of saltbush grazing land. I was told it looked like a series of
      mini tidal waves rolling across a paddock.
      cheers paul