RE: [bolger] MDO delamination

  • Robert Gainer
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 2 2:35 AM
      Do you think this is a defect in the plywood or the result of getting the
      boat wet? I only just joined this group so I may have missed something but
      did you say its not marine plywood. What makes this the �better wood�? Is
      the glue waterproof.
      Thanks;
      Robert Gainer

      >From: "Jason Stancil" <jasonstancil@...>
      >To: bolger@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [bolger] MDO delamination
      >Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 00:53:57 -0000
      >
      >So after leaving town for week, the micro AKA ark has dried out
      >enough for the glassing fun to begin.
      >
      >Today, after work i sanded all the seams and rounded the chines to
      >prepare for tommorrow's dynel sheathing.......and there it was that
      >little bulge just above the rear port chine. I figured i would kick
      >my self in the rear if i let it be until after i finished it.
      >
      >I put the grinder to it and now i have a 6" x 8" "hole" thru the MDO
      >sheathing and the first ply and a half of plywood. Kinda pissed i
      >sprung for the better wood and i'm having this problem. Olympic is
      >going to get an earful tommorrow!
      >
      >The repair? Should i just slather it full of micro ballons and fair
      >or should i lay a little bit of 6 oz glass in there and then
      >fair?.....it looks like a litle bit of delam goes a bit farther than
      >what i've ground out. Should i just empty a syringe full of epoxy
      >down in there.....or keep grinding?
      >
      >Can't say for sure till i finish out the top sides, but as of now i
      >wish i would have gone with the marine fir.
      >
      >Thanks
      >Jason

    • craig o'donnell
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 2 3:34 AM
        >Do you think this is a defect in the plywood or the result of getting the
        >boat wet? I only just joined this group so I may have missed something but
        >did you say its not marine plywood. What makes this the “better wood”? Is
        >the glue waterproof.

        It must be defective plywood. MDO is exterior glue ply as used for road
        signs etc. This is the first complaint I've seen about problems with it.
        --
        Craig O'Donnell
        Sinepuxent Ancestors & Boats

        -- Macintosh kinda guy
        Friend of Wanda the Wonder Cat, 1991-1997.
        _________________________________
      • doug6949
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 2 6:19 AM
          The recent soaring lumber prices have produced another bad effect.
          I've seen quite a bit of exterior plywood lately that delaminated due
          to poor manufacture. I took two sheets of 1/2" ply back to Lowes a few
          weeks ago.

          And if you pick up a sheet of OSB now you may notice that it doesn't
          weigh very much. I have some old pieces that have been laying outside
          for two years that are still intact. A new sheet I used to cover some
          construction work began to disintegrate in about two weeks.

          Doug