Resin sensitivity

  • Phil
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2004
      Does vinylester resin have the same toxic allergic problems that epoxy does.
      And could dynel and vinylester be a good substitute for epoxy and glass for
      sheathing a fir plywood boat. Also will vinylester cure over epoxy if you
      had glued the chines with epoxy.
      Phil
    • David Alan
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2004
        Phil,
        I tried building a Wood Ultarlight Airplane last year and had a very severe reacton to the T-88 Epoxy that I was using to glue it together. I have used Fiberglass Resin {in a well vetilated area} and have had no problems. I am not saying tht you won't, but, it does work for me.

        Dave Blow
        smallshelters

        Subject: [bolger] Resin sensitivity
        Does vinylester resin have the same toxic allergic problems that epoxy does.
        Phil

        This e-mail was sent using a CentralPets WebMail account
        Get yours at: http://mail.centralpets.com
      • Mark
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 2, 2004
          This appears a reasonable take comparing the three resins.
          http://www.redrockstore.com/resin.htm

          Epoxy sticks much better.

          Vinylester has some serious flaws, mostly temperature sensitivity and, if you're concerned
          about epoxy reactivity, the fact that some epoxy is added to polyester resin in order to
          make it.

          The MSDS sheets for all three types show that for most people reasonable precautions make
          them safe enough for occasional use. That doesn't help though, I know, if they really
          bother _you_.
          Mark