MDO delamination

  • Jason Stancil
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2004
      So after leaving town for week, the micro AKA ark has dried out
      enough for the glassing fun to begin.

      Today, after work i sanded all the seams and rounded the chines to
      prepare for tommorrow's dynel sheathing.......and there it was that
      little bulge just above the rear port chine. I figured i would kick
      my self in the rear if i let it be until after i finished it.

      I put the grinder to it and now i have a 6" x 8" "hole" thru the MDO
      sheathing and the first ply and a half of plywood. Kinda pissed i
      sprung for the better wood and i'm having this problem. Olympic is
      going to get an earful tommorrow!

      The repair? Should i just slather it full of micro ballons and fair
      or should i lay a little bit of 6 oz glass in there and then
      fair?.....it looks like a litle bit of delam goes a bit farther than
      what i've ground out. Should i just empty a syringe full of epoxy
      down in there.....or keep grinding?

      Can't say for sure till i finish out the top sides, but as of now i
      wish i would have gone with the marine fir.

      Thanks
      Jason
    • Robert Gainer
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 2, 2004
        Do you think this is a defect in the plywood or the result of getting the
        boat wet? I only just joined this group so I may have missed something but
        did you say its not marine plywood. What makes this the �better wood�? Is
        the glue waterproof.
        Thanks;
        Robert Gainer

        >From: "Jason Stancil" <jasonstancil@...>
        >To: bolger@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [bolger] MDO delamination
        >Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 00:53:57 -0000
        >
        >So after leaving town for week, the micro AKA ark has dried out
        >enough for the glassing fun to begin.
        >
        >Today, after work i sanded all the seams and rounded the chines to
        >prepare for tommorrow's dynel sheathing.......and there it was that
        >little bulge just above the rear port chine. I figured i would kick
        >my self in the rear if i let it be until after i finished it.
        >
        >I put the grinder to it and now i have a 6" x 8" "hole" thru the MDO
        >sheathing and the first ply and a half of plywood. Kinda pissed i
        >sprung for the better wood and i'm having this problem. Olympic is
        >going to get an earful tommorrow!
        >
        >The repair? Should i just slather it full of micro ballons and fair
        >or should i lay a little bit of 6 oz glass in there and then
        >fair?.....it looks like a litle bit of delam goes a bit farther than
        >what i've ground out. Should i just empty a syringe full of epoxy
        >down in there.....or keep grinding?
        >
        >Can't say for sure till i finish out the top sides, but as of now i
        >wish i would have gone with the marine fir.
        >
        >Thanks
        >Jason

      • craig o'donnell
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 2, 2004
          >Do you think this is a defect in the plywood or the result of getting the
          >boat wet? I only just joined this group so I may have missed something but
          >did you say its not marine plywood. What makes this the “better wood”? Is
          >the glue waterproof.

          It must be defective plywood. MDO is exterior glue ply as used for road
          signs etc. This is the first complaint I've seen about problems with it.
          --
          Craig O'Donnell
          Sinepuxent Ancestors & Boats

          -- Macintosh kinda guy
          Friend of Wanda the Wonder Cat, 1991-1997.
          _________________________________
        • doug6949
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 2, 2004
            The recent soaring lumber prices have produced another bad effect.
            I've seen quite a bit of exterior plywood lately that delaminated due
            to poor manufacture. I took two sheets of 1/2" ply back to Lowes a few
            weeks ago.

            And if you pick up a sheet of OSB now you may notice that it doesn't
            weigh very much. I have some old pieces that have been laying outside
            for two years that are still intact. A new sheet I used to cover some
            construction work began to disintegrate in about two weeks.

            Doug