polyurethane/fiberglass cloth??

  • bill shamblin
    Message 1 of 3 , May 31, 2004
      builders,

      http://www.hci.net/~shamblin/may29015.jpg

      could polyurethane/fiberglass cloth work to cover joints and bottom
      on the plywood sailing pirogue??? is there a better alternating for a
      glue/cloth system besides epoxy/fiberglass or polyester/fiberglass??
      i seem to be getting alergic to them.

      if not i will do the joints and bottom in polyester/fiberglass cloth
      and paint the rest with just polyester resin for keeping the wood
      dry??? the joints are pl-premium polyurethane glued using chine logs
      of 5/8"x5/8" clear fir. then i will paint inside and out with porch
      and deck paint???

      any advice appreciated.

      much to learn in nc
      bill shamblin
    • Ford and Mary Ann Walton
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2004
        Bill,

        Fiberglass cloth and polyester resin are not too bad for joints and a
        bottom cover (although epoxy resin is much better), but straight
        polyester resin has always peeled off the plywood fairly quickly when
        I've used it as a coating. You would probably be better off with a good
        primer and an extra coat of paint for the bare wood.

        Good luck,
        Ford Walton

        bill shamblin wrote:

        > builders,
        >
        > http://www.hci.net/~shamblin/may29015.jpg
        >
        > could polyurethane/fiberglass cloth work to cover joints and bottom
        > on the plywood sailing pirogue??? is there a better alternating for a
        > glue/cloth system besides epoxy/fiberglass or polyester/fiberglass??
        > i seem to be getting alergic to them.
        >
        > if not i will do the joints and bottom in polyester/fiberglass cloth
        > and paint the rest with just polyester resin for keeping the wood
        > dry??? the joints are pl-premium polyurethane glued using chine logs
        > of 5/8"x5/8" clear fir. then i will paint inside and out with porch
        > and deck paint???
        >
        > any advice appreciated.
        >
        > much to learn in nc
        > bill shamblin

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • doug6949
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 1, 2004
          If you react to the fiberglass you could use Dynel or Xynole (sp?)
          polyester fabric. Defender has it.

          Epoxy sensitivity is more serious. Once you get it the reaction will
          be more severe with each exposure. Vinylester resin is a good
          subsititute for epoxy. Polyester is not.

          The two-part urethanes would probably work as a resin but cost might
          be prohibitive for wetting fabric. As for one-part PU resin, well,
          maybe. There isn't that much urethane in plain old $25 a gallon PU
          varnish. It's mostly fillers.

          Doug