Sharpie

  • craig o'donnell
    Message 1 of 5 , May 30, 2004
      Bolger's slab-sided sharpies are well known. The Peero, at 12', is about
      the smallest and they go up to the AS39 and beyond.

      A boat with lots of flare, like a dory, is good for load carrying because
      as you add each pound it gets harder and harder to increase the draft. But
      it is a very tender sailing hull without ballast. (This is not to say that
      there haven't been dory racing classes, but that's the case).

      The slab-sided boats are very stiff even without ballast and given
      sufficient freeboard are virtually unswampable. You can swamp a Peero
      because it's so small. But try that with an AS29.
      --
      Craig O'Donnell
      Sinepuxent Ancestors & Boats

      -- Macintosh kinda guy
      Friend of Wanda the Wonder Cat, 1991-1997.
      _________________________________
    • ginkepink
      Message 2 of 5 , May 30, 2004
        Anyone any experiences/advices related to june bug propelled by a
        trolling motor??

        Paul

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, craig o'donnell <dadadata@f...> wrote:
        > Bolger's slab-sided sharpies are well known. The Peero, at 12', is
        about
        > the smallest and they go up to the AS39 and beyond.
        >
        > A boat with lots of flare, like a dory, is good for load carrying
        because
        > as you add each pound it gets harder and harder to increase the
        draft. But
        > it is a very tender sailing hull without ballast. (This is not to
        say that
        > there haven't been dory racing classes, but that's the case).
        >
        > The slab-sided boats are very stiff even without ballast and given
        > sufficient freeboard are virtually unswampable. You can swamp a
        Peero
        > because it's so small. But try that with an AS29.
        > --
        > Craig O'Donnell
        > Sinepuxent Ancestors & Boats
        > <http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~fassitt/>
        > The Proa FAQ <http://boat-links.com/proafaq.html>
        > The Cheap Pages <http://www.friend.ly.net/~dadadata/>
        > Sailing Canoes, Polytarp Sails, Bamboo, Chinese
        Junks,
        > American Proas, the Bolger Boat Honor Roll,
        > Plywood Boats, Bamboo Rafts, &c.
        > _________________________________
        >
        > -- Professor of Boatology -- Junkomologist
        > -- Macintosh kinda guy
        > Friend of Wanda the Wonder Cat, 1991-1997.
        > _________________________________
      • pauldayau
        Message 3 of 5 , May 31, 2004
          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "ginkepink" <pa.venus@w...> wrote:
          > Anyone any experiences/advices related to june bug propelled by a
          > trolling motor??
          >
          > Paul

          I found that although trolls moved the boat along quite well they
          were heavy to transport and tend to leave lingering smells .I changed
          over to dwarves. they stow really well under the.
          deck when not in use and can sing really well whilst rowing.
          the two I used knew a really cute blonde
          Paul.
        • Adam
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 1, 2004
            i had a junebug that i ran a 21 lb Yamaha 2 hp outboard on. moved
            it along at about 5 mph, anything more than that and the bow would
            start to climb upward ( i ran a 7.5 hp mercury on it just for grins
            once, and saw that happen).

            Adam

            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "ginkepink" <pa.venus@w...> wrote:
            > Anyone any experiences/advices related to june bug propelled by a
            > trolling motor??
            >
            > Paul
          • Adam
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 1, 2004
              sorry didn't address my experience with it...with the 2 hp, no
              vices, no weirdnesses. With the june bug in general, a nice
              sailor, but keep everyones butts planted on the floor...good initial
              stability, but didn't take much to roll it, once past that point.
              never rowed it, so can't speak to that.

              Adam