RE: [bolger] Teal, stem & stern posts

  • Bill Kreamer
    Message 1 of 7 , May 28, 2004
      If I Recall Correctly...IIRC.

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Bruce Hallman [mailto:bruce@...]
      Sent: Friday, May 28, 2004 11:54
      To: bolger@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [bolger] Teal, stem & stern posts

      I am sorry, what I wrote before about using the
      drawings from Folding Schooner was probably incorrect!

      I cannot recall if I worked from the book Instant Boats
      or from the book Folding Schooner, but probably I
      *did* use the angle shown in Instant Boats.

      As a zillion more Teals have been built from Payson's
      book Instant Boats, those angles seem to be the
      safest ones to use!

      As I don't have my copy of Folding Schooner handy,
      frankly I am surprised that it is different from the drawings
      in Instant Boats. Normally, PCB would have put a note
      on the drawings if he corrected an error of such magnitude
      as a change in the stem/stern post angles!

      What does IRRC mean?

      On Fri, 28 May 2004 09:30:14 -0600, hal <hal@...> wrote:

      > On May 27, 2004, at 5:39 PM, Thierry Msika wrote:
      >
      > > I was going to cut the stem & stern posts and noticed that the
      bevels
      > > are quite different between the design in The Folding Schooner and
      > > the instructions by Harold Payson.
      > >
      > > I measured the cutting bevels at 23° and 28° respectively for
      > > the stem and the stern while H. Payson gives them at 28° and 30.5°
      > > in Instant Boats (p. 96 Chapter 9 Building Teal Step by Step).
      > >
      > > Can somebody help me sort out that problem.
      >
      > IRRC I did it by Payson's book. It worked just fine.
      >
      > hal

      Bolger rules!!!
      - Plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209, Gloucester, MA, 01930,
      Fax: (978) 282-1349

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=1292kaf7m/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=gr
      oups/S=1705065791:HM/EXP=1085846047/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http:/c
      ompanion.yahoo.com> click here

      s/S=:HM/A=2128215/rand=297921277>

      _____

      Yahoo! Groups Links

    • southcoveemail
      Message 2 of 7 , May 28, 2004
        I enventually cut them using Payson.
        I called him this morning and his answer was that perhaps Bolger drew the plan view instead of the 90°cut of stem and stern posts which reduces the angles.
        Thierry