Re: micro pictures online

  • Nels
    Message 1 of 12 , May 2, 2004
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, findleyjh@e... wrote:
      > Hey Jason,
      I'm looking for some
      > information on pouring the lead also. It doesn't look difficult,
      but
      > I'm curious about hanging it. The plans don't call for 'through
      > bolting', and I can't help but wonder about strength.

      I mentioned it twice before and will mention it again. For ten bucks
      you can get a CD from DW magazine that gives instructions for the
      lead keel built in traditional fashion.

      I live in Canada, and the day I ordered my CD's I got an immediate
      confirmation, from Sandra, that they had been shipped, the same
      evening and was viewing them within a week. Here is the table of
      contents listing for the one with the MICRO building articles:

      http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/store/books_cds/der/der1contents.htm

      The other source of information is Bud MacIntosh's book "How to Build
      a Wooden Boat", which also shows the method Peter Lenihan used to
      build a really weatherproof hatch.

      Cheers, Nels
    • findleyjh@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 12 , May 2, 2004
        Thanks Nels,

        I appreciate your repeating yourself. I've been reading the
        archives, and I think I only have about 34,000 posts to go!

        The list of articles in this reader looks terrific: I'll give it a
        try. As for the book...I live in mortal fear of my wife filing for
        divorce if I spend any more money on books. [But what she doesn't
        know, she can't divorce me for.]

        Cheers,
        Jim

      • findleyjh@earthlink.net
        Message 3 of 12 , May 2, 2004
          Jason,

          One compartment at a time sounds like a good approach.

          I've not set a date certain for the launch (lest I set myself up for
          failure), but I'm hoping for mid-summer. I'd like to get my family
          out on Lake Michigan sometime this summer/fall.

          Cheers,
          Jim

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Stancil" <jasonstancil@h...>
          wrote:
          > Jim -
          > I'm glad i'm not the only one currently struggling through this
          > micro thing.
          > I'm on the same line of thought with you on the keel......not too
          > worried about it, i just want to get it behind me.
          > I'm looking forward to your pictures get 'em up will ya.
          > Not sure about my building pace, now the weather is getting nice
          > it's hard to stay in the garage and i feel bad running the table
          saw
          > after 8 pm, my neibors may kill me before i'm done.
          > I've decided to just finish out one compartment at a time. Stern
          > well, bow well, stowage bins, then the interior.....i actually
          > already started framing the bunks cause i wanted to stiffen the
          hull
          > up before i flip her back over to glass the bottom. Been dragging
          my
          > feet on that part as i'll need to let her sit untouched for a week
          > before i can prime it and flip it back over.
          >
          > I'm hoping to do sea trials by the end of august but that will be
          > without an electraical system or water tanks. I'm setting the boat
          > up for a bit of micro cruising but just geting it on the water
          takes
          > precedent over fitting out the cruising gear as i won't take an
          > extended cruise until december. I'm a poor graduate student so
          > funding may slow my progress significantly, only a little bit of
          tax
          > refund left to plunder.
          >
          > When is your targeted launch date?
          >
          > Jason
        • Nels
          Message 4 of 12 , May 2, 2004
            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, findleyjh@e... wrote:
            > Thanks Nels,

            As for the book...I live in mortal fear of my wife filing for
            > divorce if I spend any more money on books. [But what she doesn't
            > know, she can't divorce me for.]
            >
            > Cheers,
            > Jim

            Hi Jim,

            The book should be available at most libraries. We even have it in
            ours up here in Regina, Saskatchewan:-)

            Sorry to hear about your wife. I'm sure you will miss her for awhile,
            but such is the life of a Bolgerista;-)

            Cheers, Nels