Re: micro pictures online

  • Jason Stancil
    Message 1 of 12 , May 2, 2004
      Jim -
      I'm glad i'm not the only one currently struggling through this
      micro thing.
      I'm on the same line of thought with you on the keel......not too
      worried about it, i just want to get it behind me.
      I'm looking forward to your pictures get 'em up will ya.
      Not sure about my building pace, now the weather is getting nice
      it's hard to stay in the garage and i feel bad running the table saw
      after 8 pm, my neibors may kill me before i'm done.
      I've decided to just finish out one compartment at a time. Stern
      well, bow well, stowage bins, then the interior.....i actually
      already started framing the bunks cause i wanted to stiffen the hull
      up before i flip her back over to glass the bottom. Been dragging my
      feet on that part as i'll need to let her sit untouched for a week
      before i can prime it and flip it back over.

      I'm hoping to do sea trials by the end of august but that will be
      without an electraical system or water tanks. I'm setting the boat
      up for a bit of micro cruising but just geting it on the water takes
      precedent over fitting out the cruising gear as i won't take an
      extended cruise until december. I'm a poor graduate student so
      funding may slow my progress significantly, only a little bit of tax
      refund left to plunder.

      When is your targeted launch date?

      Jason
    • Nels
      Message 2 of 12 , May 2, 2004
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, findleyjh@e... wrote:
        > Hey Jason,
        I'm looking for some
        > information on pouring the lead also. It doesn't look difficult,
        but
        > I'm curious about hanging it. The plans don't call for 'through
        > bolting', and I can't help but wonder about strength.

        I mentioned it twice before and will mention it again. For ten bucks
        you can get a CD from DW magazine that gives instructions for the
        lead keel built in traditional fashion.

        I live in Canada, and the day I ordered my CD's I got an immediate
        confirmation, from Sandra, that they had been shipped, the same
        evening and was viewing them within a week. Here is the table of
        contents listing for the one with the MICRO building articles:

        http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/store/books_cds/der/der1contents.htm

        The other source of information is Bud MacIntosh's book "How to Build
        a Wooden Boat", which also shows the method Peter Lenihan used to
        build a really weatherproof hatch.

        Cheers, Nels
      • findleyjh@earthlink.net
        Message 3 of 12 , May 2, 2004
          Thanks Nels,

          I appreciate your repeating yourself. I've been reading the
          archives, and I think I only have about 34,000 posts to go!

          The list of articles in this reader looks terrific: I'll give it a
          try. As for the book...I live in mortal fear of my wife filing for
          divorce if I spend any more money on books. [But what she doesn't
          know, she can't divorce me for.]

          Cheers,
          Jim

        • findleyjh@earthlink.net
          Message 4 of 12 , May 2, 2004
            Jason,

            One compartment at a time sounds like a good approach.

            I've not set a date certain for the launch (lest I set myself up for
            failure), but I'm hoping for mid-summer. I'd like to get my family
            out on Lake Michigan sometime this summer/fall.

            Cheers,
            Jim

            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Stancil" <jasonstancil@h...>
            wrote:
            > Jim -
            > I'm glad i'm not the only one currently struggling through this
            > micro thing.
            > I'm on the same line of thought with you on the keel......not too
            > worried about it, i just want to get it behind me.
            > I'm looking forward to your pictures get 'em up will ya.
            > Not sure about my building pace, now the weather is getting nice
            > it's hard to stay in the garage and i feel bad running the table
            saw
            > after 8 pm, my neibors may kill me before i'm done.
            > I've decided to just finish out one compartment at a time. Stern
            > well, bow well, stowage bins, then the interior.....i actually
            > already started framing the bunks cause i wanted to stiffen the
            hull
            > up before i flip her back over to glass the bottom. Been dragging
            my
            > feet on that part as i'll need to let her sit untouched for a week
            > before i can prime it and flip it back over.
            >
            > I'm hoping to do sea trials by the end of august but that will be
            > without an electraical system or water tanks. I'm setting the boat
            > up for a bit of micro cruising but just geting it on the water
            takes
            > precedent over fitting out the cruising gear as i won't take an
            > extended cruise until december. I'm a poor graduate student so
            > funding may slow my progress significantly, only a little bit of
            tax
            > refund left to plunder.
            >
            > When is your targeted launch date?
            >
            > Jason
          • Nels
            Message 5 of 12 , May 2, 2004
              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, findleyjh@e... wrote:
              > Thanks Nels,

              As for the book...I live in mortal fear of my wife filing for
              > divorce if I spend any more money on books. [But what she doesn't
              > know, she can't divorce me for.]
              >
              > Cheers,
              > Jim

              Hi Jim,

              The book should be available at most libraries. We even have it in
              ours up here in Regina, Saskatchewan:-)

              Sorry to hear about your wife. I'm sure you will miss her for awhile,
              but such is the life of a Bolgerista;-)

              Cheers, Nels