Re: micro pictures online

  • findleyjh@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 12 , May 2, 2004
      Hey Jason,

      The hull's mostly complete. A picture's worth a thousand words, so
      I'll get a couple in the photos section of my profile...soon I hope.
      I'm just a bit out in front of you, but I suspect not for long at the
      pace you've set.

      Mostly these days I seem to be doing more spring cleaning than
      building. Until the weather warms a bit, I'm going to get to the
      interior, the masts/spars, and the keel. I'm looking for some
      information on pouring the lead also. It doesn't look difficult, but
      I'm curious about hanging it. The plans don't call for 'through
      bolting', and I can't help but wonder about strength.

      By the way, your questions seem right on target to me.

      Do you have a launch date targeted?

      Cheers,
      Jim

      > Hey jim where are you in the process?
      > Glad i'm not the only one doing this. I feel like a jack ass asking
      > all these questions and fielding my ideas to these poor souls. But
      > they already made the mistakes and got the job done. I really value
      > the imput from these guys even if i totally disregard it and do
      dumb
      > things anyhow.
      > Thanks Everyone,
      > Jason
    • Jason Stancil
      Message 2 of 12 , May 2, 2004
        Jim -
        I'm glad i'm not the only one currently struggling through this
        micro thing.
        I'm on the same line of thought with you on the keel......not too
        worried about it, i just want to get it behind me.
        I'm looking forward to your pictures get 'em up will ya.
        Not sure about my building pace, now the weather is getting nice
        it's hard to stay in the garage and i feel bad running the table saw
        after 8 pm, my neibors may kill me before i'm done.
        I've decided to just finish out one compartment at a time. Stern
        well, bow well, stowage bins, then the interior.....i actually
        already started framing the bunks cause i wanted to stiffen the hull
        up before i flip her back over to glass the bottom. Been dragging my
        feet on that part as i'll need to let her sit untouched for a week
        before i can prime it and flip it back over.

        I'm hoping to do sea trials by the end of august but that will be
        without an electraical system or water tanks. I'm setting the boat
        up for a bit of micro cruising but just geting it on the water takes
        precedent over fitting out the cruising gear as i won't take an
        extended cruise until december. I'm a poor graduate student so
        funding may slow my progress significantly, only a little bit of tax
        refund left to plunder.

        When is your targeted launch date?

        Jason
      • Nels
        Message 3 of 12 , May 2, 2004
          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, findleyjh@e... wrote:
          > Hey Jason,
          I'm looking for some
          > information on pouring the lead also. It doesn't look difficult,
          but
          > I'm curious about hanging it. The plans don't call for 'through
          > bolting', and I can't help but wonder about strength.

          I mentioned it twice before and will mention it again. For ten bucks
          you can get a CD from DW magazine that gives instructions for the
          lead keel built in traditional fashion.

          I live in Canada, and the day I ordered my CD's I got an immediate
          confirmation, from Sandra, that they had been shipped, the same
          evening and was viewing them within a week. Here is the table of
          contents listing for the one with the MICRO building articles:

          http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/store/books_cds/der/der1contents.htm

          The other source of information is Bud MacIntosh's book "How to Build
          a Wooden Boat", which also shows the method Peter Lenihan used to
          build a really weatherproof hatch.

          Cheers, Nels
        • findleyjh@earthlink.net
          Message 4 of 12 , May 2, 2004
            Thanks Nels,

            I appreciate your repeating yourself. I've been reading the
            archives, and I think I only have about 34,000 posts to go!

            The list of articles in this reader looks terrific: I'll give it a
            try. As for the book...I live in mortal fear of my wife filing for
            divorce if I spend any more money on books. [But what she doesn't
            know, she can't divorce me for.]

            Cheers,
            Jim

          • findleyjh@earthlink.net
            Message 5 of 12 , May 2, 2004
              Jason,

              One compartment at a time sounds like a good approach.

              I've not set a date certain for the launch (lest I set myself up for
              failure), but I'm hoping for mid-summer. I'd like to get my family
              out on Lake Michigan sometime this summer/fall.

              Cheers,
              Jim

              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Stancil" <jasonstancil@h...>
              wrote:
              > Jim -
              > I'm glad i'm not the only one currently struggling through this
              > micro thing.
              > I'm on the same line of thought with you on the keel......not too
              > worried about it, i just want to get it behind me.
              > I'm looking forward to your pictures get 'em up will ya.
              > Not sure about my building pace, now the weather is getting nice
              > it's hard to stay in the garage and i feel bad running the table
              saw
              > after 8 pm, my neibors may kill me before i'm done.
              > I've decided to just finish out one compartment at a time. Stern
              > well, bow well, stowage bins, then the interior.....i actually
              > already started framing the bunks cause i wanted to stiffen the
              hull
              > up before i flip her back over to glass the bottom. Been dragging
              my
              > feet on that part as i'll need to let her sit untouched for a week
              > before i can prime it and flip it back over.
              >
              > I'm hoping to do sea trials by the end of august but that will be
              > without an electraical system or water tanks. I'm setting the boat
              > up for a bit of micro cruising but just geting it on the water
              takes
              > precedent over fitting out the cruising gear as i won't take an
              > extended cruise until december. I'm a poor graduate student so
              > funding may slow my progress significantly, only a little bit of
              tax
              > refund left to plunder.
              >
              > When is your targeted launch date?
              >
              > Jason
            • Nels
              Message 6 of 12 , May 2, 2004
                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, findleyjh@e... wrote:
                > Thanks Nels,

                As for the book...I live in mortal fear of my wife filing for
                > divorce if I spend any more money on books. [But what she doesn't
                > know, she can't divorce me for.]
                >
                > Cheers,
                > Jim

                Hi Jim,

                The book should be available at most libraries. We even have it in
                ours up here in Regina, Saskatchewan:-)

                Sorry to hear about your wife. I'm sure you will miss her for awhile,
                but such is the life of a Bolgerista;-)

                Cheers, Nels