Re: [bolger] An option? Was Yamaha 9.9 high thrust price?

  • Justin Meddock
    Message 1 of 10 , May 1, 2004
      Also,

      I forgot to add that you can get parts for US made motors
      in nearly every town in the country, my Japanese motors
      (Tohatsu, Suzuki, Honda) have been
      much more difficult to get parts for. I forget what we were powering
      in this thread, but if I was cruising ICW, rivers, or Great Lakes, I would
      feel better with US motor. The Japanese motor dealerships are more
      common now than they were 10 years ago, but I sure like being able to
      walk in the dealer and point to the part I need on the
      page/microfiche/monitor
      vs. describing the part I want to the parts guy over the phone @ the
      dealer 300 miles away.

      Justin
    • pvanderwaart
      Message 2 of 10 , May 2, 2004
        > I would
        > feel better with a US motor.

        Is there such a thing as a US motor? From what I understand, there
        are perhaps two companies making low-power outboards in Japan (Honda
        & Tomatsu) which are sold under a range of brand names: Mariner,
        Nissan, Mercury, etc.

        The OMC business which was still making it's own higher horsepower
        engines was bought by a Canadian company, and who knows where the
        motors are made. My own motor guy, a Mercury dealer, says that
        dealers are fleeing from the OMC brands.

        Peter
      • Roger Derby
        Message 3 of 10 , May 9, 2004
          Any experience with http://www.maxrules.com/fixnissanindex.html ???
          They show lots of parts for Tohatsu outboards.

          Roger
          derbyrm@...
          derbyrm.mystarband.net/default.htm