Re: too big micro

  • Jason Stancil
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2004
      Bruce-
      I think you're on to something, maybe i'll finish at least most of
      the inside before moving on to the keel.

      Tell me more about the sagging cabin top. I saw in the pictures
      where you had three sticks laminated togather......those things
      sagged out? I'm tring to avoid steam bending if possible...what do
      you think if i just planed the arch in the tops of the beams and
      left the bottom square.....think that would hault sag?

      My photos are at:

      ofoto.com

      username is jasonstancil@...

      and the password is bolger......i think you asked, i've been posting
      so much i'm not sure what i'm replying to.

      So when you going to float that thing anyhow? Last i saw the only
      thing lacking was the keel, which you already poured the lead for.

      What about your sails and rigging? Did you make your own sails or
      contract it out? Let me know when you get the rigging figured
      out......too many ropes for my feeble mind.

      Jason
    • bruce@hallman.org
      Message 2 of 5 , May 2, 2004
        --- "Jason Stancil" wrote:
        > Tell me more about the sagging cabin top.

        I think that by its very nature wood
        expands and contracts with variations
        of humidity in the air. The camber of
        my roof has sagged down a bit, now
        that I look at it more carefully
        perhaps an inch. No real harm, the
        only 'problem' is that the trim piece
        that fits against the sliding hatch
        need to be recut. I would recommend
        that the detailing of the slides of
        your hatch have enough give. Luckily
        this is not a crisis for me at all.
        But it could have been one had I not
        been lucky.

        Ironically, had I not enlarged the
        roof hatch to be a longer slot
        this wouldn't have happened!
        Once again, I deviated from a PB&F
        plan and find out the unintended
        consequence.

        The roof beam was sawn to a curve.
        But the roof/ceiling elsewhere is
        a lamination of 1/4" plywood with
        3/4" stringers inside. That is
        what sags a little, probably in
        conjunction with the walls/windows
        sagging outward a little.

        > My photos are at: ofoto.com

        Looks good! It would float right
        now, how can you avoid the temptation!

        > Last i saw the only
        > thing lacking was the keel,

        I have mounted the keel and
        rudder but haven't put up photos.

        Presently I am working on remodeling
        the bed and repainting a used trailer
        to fit her.

        The only big thing left is the
        making of my polytarp sails plus several
        little things and then I can launch.
        Plus, a yuloh and/or a motor.

        I am in a delay pattern presently because
        I have season's tickets to the San
        Francisco Giants baseball club, and my
        spare time comes in short increments
        between games, work and the rest of
        my life!

        The Giants are on a road trip next
        weekend plus my kid is with her mother
        so I will get in some solid boat building
        time then.