peter......micro keel pattern?

  • Jason Stancil
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2004
      Peter-
      I remember a while back you said you had a pattern that could
      possible be borrowed for keel construction.
      I searched and can't find that post.......micros abound in the
      archives.
      Could you explain to me the method you used for installing it and
      how to contact you.
      I've read so many different ways to install and build the keel i
      don't know which way to venture. But the keel is something i want to
      get behind me. Not worried about pouring the lead so much as having
      the keel fair with the hull and getting it lined up straight.
      Thanks,
      Jason
    • Peter Lenihan
      Message 2 of 2 , May 3, 2004
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Stancil" <jasonstancil@h...>
        wrote:
        > Could you explain to me the method you used for installing it and
        > how to contact you.

        Jason,
        My method of installing my keel was the traditional one with a
        keelson,keel bolts,and deadwoods fore and aft.
        Since you are beyond the stage for installing a keelson(your
        bottom ply is already on),then it is perhaps best to stick with the
        method suggested by Bolger and one which has proved to be most
        satisfactory.
        I do not know how much trouble it was for you to haul your hull
        outdoors and flip her over but,if it was not too hard,you may wish to
        do it one more time and only flip her onto its side.Then,following a
        centerline drawn onto the outside of your hull bottom,scribe out your
        EXACT profile of the hull rocker(fore and aft curvature) onto some
        cheap luan(door skins) to creat a pattern which can then be used to
        cut out the precice shape of each half of the plywood sandwich which
        in turn holds the lead ballast.
        If you do get the Duckworks CD mentioned by Nels,you'll quickly
        understand why my pattern will be of little use to you at this point.
        Off group,my e-mail is peterlenihan AT hotmail dot com.

        Sincerely,

        Peter Lenihan