Re: [bolger] An option? Was Yamaha 9.9 high thrust price?

  • Justin Meddock
    Message 1 of 10 , May 1, 2004
      I had a Tohatsu outboard on my keelboat 6-7 years ago, it was a 1987 model
      longshaft. It was really fine piece, ran flawlessly. Well constructed, easy
      to work on.
      However, the importer in Texas discontinued some of the parts,
      lower unit seals, water pump impeller, prop shaft seal.
      The parts are still produced by Tohatsu, the importer refused
      to get them for me. I can see not keeping the parts in the US,
      but an outright refusal to help me in any way on a 10 year old
      product really ticked me off. BTW, Nissan is the same motor,
      same importer. I won't buy another one...

      Justin

      ?

      > Bruce
      > You might want to take a look at the 9.8 Tohatsu 4 stroke--it weighs
      > 81 pounds for the minimum version. Personally I think the Tohatsu is
      > the best outboard in the world--they were originally built for
      > commercial fishermen (the smallest outboard to power a boat across
      > the Atlantic is a Tohatsu 2 horse--they ran it 13-16 hours a day).
      >
      > The 9.8 is $1625 from: http://www.onlineoutboards.com/#
      >
      > The 9.9 4 stroke is actually a little cheaper ($1589) but according
      > to (this gets interesting) the dealer's websites it weighs 114--but
      > according to the official Tohatsu brochure I downloaded from Tohatsu,
      > the minimal version should also weigh 81 lbs. I don't know why the
      > discrepancy but 30 more pounds on the stern of a Micro could be
      > significant.

    • John Bell
      Message 2 of 10 , May 1, 2004
        FWIW, the Tohatsu 4-stroke 15 looks suspiciously identical to my Mercury
        4-stroke 15.

        | I had a Tohatsu outboard on my keelboat 6-7 years ago, it was a 1987 model
        | longshaft. It was really fine piece, ran flawlessly. Well constructed,
        easy
        | to work on.
        | However, the importer in Texas discontinued some of the parts,
        | lower unit seals, water pump impeller, prop shaft seal.
        | The parts are still produced by Tohatsu, the importer refused
        | to get them for me. I can see not keeping the parts in the US,
        | but an outright refusal to help me in any way on a 10 year old
        | product really ticked me off. BTW, Nissan is the same motor,
        | same importer. I won't buy another one...
        |
        | Justin
        |

        | ?
        |

        | > Bruce
        | > You might want to take a look at the 9.8 Tohatsu 4 stroke--it weighs
        | > 81 pounds for the minimum version. Personally I think the Tohatsu is
        | > the best outboard in the world--they were originally built for
        | > commercial fishermen (the smallest outboard to power a boat across
        | > the Atlantic is a Tohatsu 2 horse--they ran it 13-16 hours a day).
        | >
        | > The 9.8 is $1625 from: http://www.onlineoutboards.com/#
        | >
        | > The 9.9 4 stroke is actually a little cheaper ($1589) but according
        | > to (this gets interesting) the dealer's websites it weighs 114--but
        | > according to the official Tohatsu brochure I downloaded from Tohatsu,
        | > the minimal version should also weigh 81 lbs. I don't know why the
        | > discrepancy but 30 more pounds on the stern of a Micro could be
        | > significant.
        | >

        | Bolger rules!!!
        | - no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, or flogging dead horses
        | - stay on topic, stay on thread, punctuate, no 'Ed, thanks, Fred' posts
        | - Pls add your comments at the TOP, SIGN your posts, and snip away
        | - Plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209, Gloucester, MA, 01930, Fax:
        (978) 282-1349
        | - Unsubscribe: bolger-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
        | - Open discussion: bolger_coffee_lounge-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
        | Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Justin Meddock
        Message 3 of 10 , May 1, 2004
          Also,

          I forgot to add that you can get parts for US made motors
          in nearly every town in the country, my Japanese motors
          (Tohatsu, Suzuki, Honda) have been
          much more difficult to get parts for. I forget what we were powering
          in this thread, but if I was cruising ICW, rivers, or Great Lakes, I would
          feel better with US motor. The Japanese motor dealerships are more
          common now than they were 10 years ago, but I sure like being able to
          walk in the dealer and point to the part I need on the
          page/microfiche/monitor
          vs. describing the part I want to the parts guy over the phone @ the
          dealer 300 miles away.

          Justin
        • pvanderwaart
          Message 4 of 10 , May 2, 2004
            > I would
            > feel better with a US motor.

            Is there such a thing as a US motor? From what I understand, there
            are perhaps two companies making low-power outboards in Japan (Honda
            & Tomatsu) which are sold under a range of brand names: Mariner,
            Nissan, Mercury, etc.

            The OMC business which was still making it's own higher horsepower
            engines was bought by a Canadian company, and who knows where the
            motors are made. My own motor guy, a Mercury dealer, says that
            dealers are fleeing from the OMC brands.

            Peter
          • Roger Derby
            Message 5 of 10 , May 9, 2004
              Any experience with http://www.maxrules.com/fixnissanindex.html ???
              They show lots of parts for Tohatsu outboards.

              Roger
              derbyrm@...
              derbyrm.mystarband.net/default.htm