Re: too big micro

  • dbaldnz
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2004
      There is a lot more time than you would think in the cabin top
      Jason, which is better spent under cover.
      I wonder if it is possible to somehow prefabricate the top while in
      the garage, then fix in place later outside?
      It also depends on the standard you wish to achieve. If you are
      happy to simply bolt/screw plastic windows in mastic on the outside,
      you can save a lot of time.
      DonB
      http://oink.kiwiwebhost.biz/
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Stancil" <jasonstancil@h...>
      wrote:
      > I just measured my basement and stuck a scale to the navigator
      > plans. The pilothouse won't clear the center beam in my basement
      > even without the keel installed. So the new plan of attack
      involves
      > finishing out the two wells getting the decks on, building a
      cradle,
      > hanging the keel, stuffing the lead in it then dragging it outside
      > (hoping the cradle will stay together) for the framing of the
      house
      > and the finish. I wrote that like i'd get it all done this week,
      ha!
      > If you folks have methodology that worked well, do tell.
      > Jason
    • Jason Stancil
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2004
        Bruce-
        I think you're on to something, maybe i'll finish at least most of
        the inside before moving on to the keel.

        Tell me more about the sagging cabin top. I saw in the pictures
        where you had three sticks laminated togather......those things
        sagged out? I'm tring to avoid steam bending if possible...what do
        you think if i just planed the arch in the tops of the beams and
        left the bottom square.....think that would hault sag?

        My photos are at:

        ofoto.com

        username is jasonstancil@...

        and the password is bolger......i think you asked, i've been posting
        so much i'm not sure what i'm replying to.

        So when you going to float that thing anyhow? Last i saw the only
        thing lacking was the keel, which you already poured the lead for.

        What about your sails and rigging? Did you make your own sails or
        contract it out? Let me know when you get the rigging figured
        out......too many ropes for my feeble mind.

        Jason
      • bruce@hallman.org
        Message 3 of 5 , May 2, 2004
          --- "Jason Stancil" wrote:
          > Tell me more about the sagging cabin top.

          I think that by its very nature wood
          expands and contracts with variations
          of humidity in the air. The camber of
          my roof has sagged down a bit, now
          that I look at it more carefully
          perhaps an inch. No real harm, the
          only 'problem' is that the trim piece
          that fits against the sliding hatch
          need to be recut. I would recommend
          that the detailing of the slides of
          your hatch have enough give. Luckily
          this is not a crisis for me at all.
          But it could have been one had I not
          been lucky.

          Ironically, had I not enlarged the
          roof hatch to be a longer slot
          this wouldn't have happened!
          Once again, I deviated from a PB&F
          plan and find out the unintended
          consequence.

          The roof beam was sawn to a curve.
          But the roof/ceiling elsewhere is
          a lamination of 1/4" plywood with
          3/4" stringers inside. That is
          what sags a little, probably in
          conjunction with the walls/windows
          sagging outward a little.

          > My photos are at: ofoto.com

          Looks good! It would float right
          now, how can you avoid the temptation!

          > Last i saw the only
          > thing lacking was the keel,

          I have mounted the keel and
          rudder but haven't put up photos.

          Presently I am working on remodeling
          the bed and repainting a used trailer
          to fit her.

          The only big thing left is the
          making of my polytarp sails plus several
          little things and then I can launch.
          Plus, a yuloh and/or a motor.

          I am in a delay pattern presently because
          I have season's tickets to the San
          Francisco Giants baseball club, and my
          spare time comes in short increments
          between games, work and the rest of
          my life!

          The Giants are on a road trip next
          weekend plus my kid is with her mother
          so I will get in some solid boat building
          time then.