Re: [bolger] Re: micro pictures online

  • john henry
    Message 1 of 12 , May 1, 2004
      Hey Jason
      I put off starting my Micro till this fall rather than starting the project late and not being able to finish it this summer. The wait is well justified by following your progress and letting you ask all the questions. I certainly appreciate your doing so.

      The only problem I see is that when I have to ask questions here the stock answer is going to be, "didn't we just answer that question? Go read the archives ya moron!"

      So I for one appreciate the information that you're harvesting from this group. Thanks.

      Letting others boldly go...first.

      Jason Stancil <jasonstancil@...> wrote:
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, findleyjh@e... wrote:
      > Jason & Peter,
      >
      > Yah, through the frames is what I understood, so that's what I did.
      >
      > My much greater concern - after reading this conversation - is
      that I
      > REALLY screwed up by "drinking while lofting". Now I feel
      obligated
      > to drink throughout just for the sake of consistancy.
      >
      > Guidance appreciated,
      > Jim

      Hey jim where are you in the process?
      Glad i'm not the only one doing this. I feel like a jack ass asking
      all these questions and fielding my ideas to these poor souls. But
      they already made the mistakes and got the job done. I really value
      the imput from these guys even if i totally disregard it and do dumb
      things anyhow.
      Thanks Everyone,
      Jason

      Bolger rules!!!

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
      var lrec_target="_top";var lrec_URL = new Array();lrec_URL[1] = "http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=1295b22kj/M=295196.4901138.6050264.3001176/D=groups/S=1705065791:HM/EXP=1083509087/A=1894283/R=0/id=flashurl/SIG=118tuuldn/*http://companion.yahoo.com/?.cpdl=srch";var link="javascript:LRECopenWindow(1)";var lrec_flashfile = 'http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/ya/yahoo_companion/broom_lrec.swf?clickTAG='+link+'';var lrec_altURL = "http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=1295b22kj/M=295196.4901138.6050264.3001176/D=groups/S=1705065791:HM/EXP=1083509087/A=1894283/R=1/id=altimgurl/SIG=118tuuldn/*http://companion.yahoo.com/?.cpdl=srch";var lrec_altimg = "http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/ya/yahoo_companion/lrec.gif";var lrec_width = 300;var lrec_height = 250;

      Message 2 of 12 , May 2, 2004
        Hey Jason,

        The hull's mostly complete. A picture's worth a thousand words, so
        I'll get a couple in the photos section of my profile...soon I hope.
        I'm just a bit out in front of you, but I suspect not for long at the
        pace you've set.

        Mostly these days I seem to be doing more spring cleaning than
        building. Until the weather warms a bit, I'm going to get to the
        interior, the masts/spars, and the keel. I'm looking for some
        information on pouring the lead also. It doesn't look difficult, but
        I'm curious about hanging it. The plans don't call for 'through
        bolting', and I can't help but wonder about strength.

        By the way, your questions seem right on target to me.

        Do you have a launch date targeted?

        Cheers,
        Jim

        > Hey jim where are you in the process?
        > Glad i'm not the only one doing this. I feel like a jack ass asking
        > all these questions and fielding my ideas to these poor souls. But
        > they already made the mistakes and got the job done. I really value
        > the imput from these guys even if i totally disregard it and do
        dumb
        > things anyhow.
        > Thanks Everyone,
        > Jason
      • Jason Stancil
        Message 3 of 12 , May 2, 2004
          Jim -
          I'm glad i'm not the only one currently struggling through this
          micro thing.
          I'm on the same line of thought with you on the keel......not too
          worried about it, i just want to get it behind me.
          I'm looking forward to your pictures get 'em up will ya.
          Not sure about my building pace, now the weather is getting nice
          it's hard to stay in the garage and i feel bad running the table saw
          after 8 pm, my neibors may kill me before i'm done.
          I've decided to just finish out one compartment at a time. Stern
          well, bow well, stowage bins, then the interior.....i actually
          already started framing the bunks cause i wanted to stiffen the hull
          up before i flip her back over to glass the bottom. Been dragging my
          feet on that part as i'll need to let her sit untouched for a week
          before i can prime it and flip it back over.

          I'm hoping to do sea trials by the end of august but that will be
          without an electraical system or water tanks. I'm setting the boat
          up for a bit of micro cruising but just geting it on the water takes
          precedent over fitting out the cruising gear as i won't take an
          extended cruise until december. I'm a poor graduate student so
          funding may slow my progress significantly, only a little bit of tax
          refund left to plunder.

          When is your targeted launch date?

          Jason
        • Nels
          Message 4 of 12 , May 2, 2004
            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, findleyjh@e... wrote:
            > Hey Jason,
            I'm looking for some
            > information on pouring the lead also. It doesn't look difficult,
            but
            > I'm curious about hanging it. The plans don't call for 'through
            > bolting', and I can't help but wonder about strength.

            I mentioned it twice before and will mention it again. For ten bucks
            you can get a CD from DW magazine that gives instructions for the
            lead keel built in traditional fashion.

            I live in Canada, and the day I ordered my CD's I got an immediate
            confirmation, from Sandra, that they had been shipped, the same
            evening and was viewing them within a week. Here is the table of
            contents listing for the one with the MICRO building articles:

            http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/store/books_cds/der/der1contents.htm

            The other source of information is Bud MacIntosh's book "How to Build
            a Wooden Boat", which also shows the method Peter Lenihan used to
            build a really weatherproof hatch.

            Cheers, Nels
          • findleyjh@earthlink.net
            Message 5 of 12 , May 2, 2004
              Thanks Nels,

              I appreciate your repeating yourself. I've been reading the
              archives, and I think I only have about 34,000 posts to go!

              The list of articles in this reader looks terrific: I'll give it a
              try. As for the book...I live in mortal fear of my wife filing for
              divorce if I spend any more money on books. [But what she doesn't
              know, she can't divorce me for.]

              Cheers,
              Jim

            • findleyjh@earthlink.net
              Message 6 of 12 , May 2, 2004
                Jason,

                One compartment at a time sounds like a good approach.

                I've not set a date certain for the launch (lest I set myself up for
                failure), but I'm hoping for mid-summer. I'd like to get my family
                out on Lake Michigan sometime this summer/fall.

                Cheers,
                Jim

                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Stancil" <jasonstancil@h...>
                wrote:
                > Jim -
                > I'm glad i'm not the only one currently struggling through this
                > micro thing.
                > I'm on the same line of thought with you on the keel......not too
                > worried about it, i just want to get it behind me.
                > I'm looking forward to your pictures get 'em up will ya.
                > Not sure about my building pace, now the weather is getting nice
                > it's hard to stay in the garage and i feel bad running the table
                saw
                > after 8 pm, my neibors may kill me before i'm done.
                > I've decided to just finish out one compartment at a time. Stern
                > well, bow well, stowage bins, then the interior.....i actually
                > already started framing the bunks cause i wanted to stiffen the
                hull
                > up before i flip her back over to glass the bottom. Been dragging
                my
                > feet on that part as i'll need to let her sit untouched for a week
                > before i can prime it and flip it back over.
                >
                > I'm hoping to do sea trials by the end of august but that will be
                > without an electraical system or water tanks. I'm setting the boat
                > up for a bit of micro cruising but just geting it on the water
                takes
                > precedent over fitting out the cruising gear as i won't take an
                > extended cruise until december. I'm a poor graduate student so
                > funding may slow my progress significantly, only a little bit of
                tax
                > refund left to plunder.
                >
                > When is your targeted launch date?
                >
                > Jason
              • Nels
                Message 7 of 12 , May 2, 2004
                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, findleyjh@e... wrote:
                  > Thanks Nels,

                  As for the book...I live in mortal fear of my wife filing for
                  > divorce if I spend any more money on books. [But what she doesn't
                  > know, she can't divorce me for.]
                  >
                  > Cheers,
                  > Jim

                  Hi Jim,

                  The book should be available at most libraries. We even have it in
                  ours up here in Regina, Saskatchewan:-)

                  Sorry to hear about your wife. I'm sure you will miss her for awhile,
                  but such is the life of a Bolgerista;-)

                  Cheers, Nels