Re: [bolger] too big micro

    Message 1 of 5 , May 1 9:29 AM
      --- Jason Stancil wrote:
      > So the new plan of
      > attack involves
      > finishing out the
      > two wells getting the decks on,
      > building a cradle,
      > hanging the keel,
      > stuffing the lead

      The fin keel is about 15"
      high. If you put it on
      before you finish out the
      insides of the cabin, be
      prepared for about 1,000
      trips, up and down a step
      ladder while you do the
      inside finish work.

      I suggest you consider
      finishing the insides of
      the cabin before raising
      the boat up to mount the
      fin.
    • dbaldnz
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1 2:11 PM
        There is a lot more time than you would think in the cabin top
        Jason, which is better spent under cover.
        I wonder if it is possible to somehow prefabricate the top while in
        the garage, then fix in place later outside?
        It also depends on the standard you wish to achieve. If you are
        happy to simply bolt/screw plastic windows in mastic on the outside,
        you can save a lot of time.
        DonB
        http://oink.kiwiwebhost.biz/
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Stancil" <jasonstancil@h...>
        wrote:
        > I just measured my basement and stuck a scale to the navigator
        > plans. The pilothouse won't clear the center beam in my basement
        > even without the keel installed. So the new plan of attack
        involves
        > finishing out the two wells getting the decks on, building a
        cradle,
        > hanging the keel, stuffing the lead in it then dragging it outside
        > (hoping the cradle will stay together) for the framing of the
        house
        > and the finish. I wrote that like i'd get it all done this week,
        ha!
        > If you folks have methodology that worked well, do tell.
        > Jason
      • Jason Stancil
        Message 3 of 5 , May 1 4:44 PM
          Bruce-
          I think you're on to something, maybe i'll finish at least most of
          the inside before moving on to the keel.

          Tell me more about the sagging cabin top. I saw in the pictures
          where you had three sticks laminated togather......those things
          sagged out? I'm tring to avoid steam bending if possible...what do
          you think if i just planed the arch in the tops of the beams and
          left the bottom square.....think that would hault sag?

          My photos are at:

          ofoto.com

          username is jasonstancil@...

          and the password is bolger......i think you asked, i've been posting
          so much i'm not sure what i'm replying to.

          So when you going to float that thing anyhow? Last i saw the only
          thing lacking was the keel, which you already poured the lead for.

          What about your sails and rigging? Did you make your own sails or
          contract it out? Let me know when you get the rigging figured
          out......too many ropes for my feeble mind.

          Jason
        • bruce@hallman.org
          Message 4 of 5 , May 2 9:13 AM
            --- "Jason Stancil" wrote:
            > Tell me more about the sagging cabin top.

            I think that by its very nature wood
            expands and contracts with variations
            of humidity in the air. The camber of
            my roof has sagged down a bit, now
            that I look at it more carefully
            perhaps an inch. No real harm, the
            only 'problem' is that the trim piece
            that fits against the sliding hatch
            need to be recut. I would recommend
            that the detailing of the slides of
            your hatch have enough give. Luckily
            this is not a crisis for me at all.
            But it could have been one had I not
            been lucky.

            Ironically, had I not enlarged the
            roof hatch to be a longer slot
            this wouldn't have happened!
            Once again, I deviated from a PB&F
            plan and find out the unintended
            consequence.

            The roof beam was sawn to a curve.
            But the roof/ceiling elsewhere is
            a lamination of 1/4" plywood with
            3/4" stringers inside. That is
            what sags a little, probably in
            conjunction with the walls/windows
            sagging outward a little.

            > My photos are at: ofoto.com

            Looks good! It would float right
            now, how can you avoid the temptation!

            > Last i saw the only
            > thing lacking was the keel,

            I have mounted the keel and
            rudder but haven't put up photos.

            Presently I am working on remodeling
            the bed and repainting a used trailer
            to fit her.

            The only big thing left is the
            making of my polytarp sails plus several
            little things and then I can launch.
            Plus, a yuloh and/or a motor.

            I am in a delay pattern presently because
            I have season's tickets to the San
            Francisco Giants baseball club, and my
            spare time comes in short increments
            between games, work and the rest of
            my life!

            The Giants are on a road trip next
            weekend plus my kid is with her mother
            so I will get in some solid boat building
            time then.