too big micro

  • Jason Stancil
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2004
      I just measured my basement and stuck a scale to the navigator
      plans. The pilothouse won't clear the center beam in my basement
      even without the keel installed. So the new plan of attack involves
      finishing out the two wells getting the decks on, building a cradle,
      hanging the keel, stuffing the lead in it then dragging it outside
      (hoping the cradle will stay together) for the framing of the house
      and the finish. I wrote that like i'd get it all done this week, ha!
      If you folks have methodology that worked well, do tell.
      Jason
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2004
        --- Jason Stancil wrote:
        > So the new plan of
        > attack involves
        > finishing out the
        > two wells getting the decks on,
        > building a cradle,
        > hanging the keel,
        > stuffing the lead

        The fin keel is about 15"
        high. If you put it on
        before you finish out the
        insides of the cabin, be
        prepared for about 1,000
        trips, up and down a step
        ladder while you do the
        inside finish work.

        I suggest you consider
        finishing the insides of
        the cabin before raising
        the boat up to mount the
        fin.
      • dbaldnz
        Message 3 of 5 , May 1, 2004
          There is a lot more time than you would think in the cabin top
          Jason, which is better spent under cover.
          I wonder if it is possible to somehow prefabricate the top while in
          the garage, then fix in place later outside?
          It also depends on the standard you wish to achieve. If you are
          happy to simply bolt/screw plastic windows in mastic on the outside,
          you can save a lot of time.
          DonB
          http://oink.kiwiwebhost.biz/
          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Stancil" <jasonstancil@h...>
          wrote:
          > I just measured my basement and stuck a scale to the navigator
          > plans. The pilothouse won't clear the center beam in my basement
          > even without the keel installed. So the new plan of attack
          involves
          > finishing out the two wells getting the decks on, building a
          cradle,
          > hanging the keel, stuffing the lead in it then dragging it outside
          > (hoping the cradle will stay together) for the framing of the
          house
          > and the finish. I wrote that like i'd get it all done this week,
          ha!
          > If you folks have methodology that worked well, do tell.
          > Jason
        • Jason Stancil
          Message 4 of 5 , May 1, 2004
            Bruce-
            I think you're on to something, maybe i'll finish at least most of
            the inside before moving on to the keel.

            Tell me more about the sagging cabin top. I saw in the pictures
            where you had three sticks laminated togather......those things
            sagged out? I'm tring to avoid steam bending if possible...what do
            you think if i just planed the arch in the tops of the beams and
            left the bottom square.....think that would hault sag?

            My photos are at:

            ofoto.com

            username is jasonstancil@...

            and the password is bolger......i think you asked, i've been posting
            so much i'm not sure what i'm replying to.

            So when you going to float that thing anyhow? Last i saw the only
            thing lacking was the keel, which you already poured the lead for.

            What about your sails and rigging? Did you make your own sails or
            contract it out? Let me know when you get the rigging figured
            out......too many ropes for my feeble mind.

            Jason
          • bruce@hallman.org
            Message 5 of 5 , May 2, 2004
              --- "Jason Stancil" wrote:
              > Tell me more about the sagging cabin top.

              I think that by its very nature wood
              expands and contracts with variations
              of humidity in the air. The camber of
              my roof has sagged down a bit, now
              that I look at it more carefully
              perhaps an inch. No real harm, the
              only 'problem' is that the trim piece
              that fits against the sliding hatch
              need to be recut. I would recommend
              that the detailing of the slides of
              your hatch have enough give. Luckily
              this is not a crisis for me at all.
              But it could have been one had I not
              been lucky.

              Ironically, had I not enlarged the
              roof hatch to be a longer slot
              this wouldn't have happened!
              Once again, I deviated from a PB&F
              plan and find out the unintended
              consequence.

              The roof beam was sawn to a curve.
              But the roof/ceiling elsewhere is
              a lamination of 1/4" plywood with
              3/4" stringers inside. That is
              what sags a little, probably in
              conjunction with the walls/windows
              sagging outward a little.

              > My photos are at: ofoto.com

              Looks good! It would float right
              now, how can you avoid the temptation!

              > Last i saw the only
              > thing lacking was the keel,

              I have mounted the keel and
              rudder but haven't put up photos.

              Presently I am working on remodeling
              the bed and repainting a used trailer
              to fit her.

              The only big thing left is the
              making of my polytarp sails plus several
              little things and then I can launch.
              Plus, a yuloh and/or a motor.

              I am in a delay pattern presently because
              I have season's tickets to the San
              Francisco Giants baseball club, and my
              spare time comes in short increments
              between games, work and the rest of
              my life!

              The Giants are on a road trip next
              weekend plus my kid is with her mother
              so I will get in some solid boat building
              time then.