Re: micro pictures online

  • Peter Lenihan
    Message 1 of 12 , May 1, 2004
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Stancil" <jasonstancil@h...>
      wrote:
      > Hey i got off my lazy bum and uploaded some pictures of building
      my
      > micro navigator.
      > Go to:
      > ofoto.com
      > username is jasonstancil(@)hotmail.com...........please don't spam
      > me. The password is bolger.

      Jason,
      Thanks for the nice pictures. I couldn't help but to notice that
      for both your bow transom and transom,you have cut out,right through
      the plywood,the notches for the chine logs and shear clamps.Is this
      really how it is shown on the plans? I only ask since I did mine
      with notches in the backing frames of the two transoms but not
      through the plywood thus making for a nice even exterior surface and
      easy protection for the end grains of the chine logs and shear
      clamps.
      Nevertheless, I still can't believe I screwed up my transoms and
      never noticed......hopefully Nels,the new owner of LESTAT, hasn't
      noticed either :-). I can't find my Micro plans right now but could
      someone out there confirm for me what the plans say regarding the
      chine logs and shear clamps at the transoms?
      Keep up the good work Jason and here's to wishing you a
      successful launch this summer!!!

      Sincerely,

      Peter Lenihan,ex owner/builder of LESTAT and un-reformed lunatic who
      would never dream of actually drinking through the lofting
      process.Construction and finishing stages,no problem but NEVER while
      lofting........
    • Jason Stancil
      Message 2 of 12 , May 1, 2004
        Peter!
        You just stopped my heart. I thought i done screwed up good.
        I just scambled for my plans the notches are through the frames
        entirely.......i remembering questioning it but i went along with
        it. Since i took those pictures i faired in the logs with some micro
        ballon goo and got the bow steps right (top one is an inch
        high).....the glass tape will leave more of a bump than the log
        notch.
        Jason
      • findleyjh@earthlink.net
        Message 3 of 12 , May 1, 2004
          Jason & Peter,

          Yah, through the frames is what I understood, so that's what I did.

          My much greater concern - after reading this conversation - is that I
          REALLY screwed up by "drinking while lofting". Now I feel obligated
          to drink throughout just for the sake of consistancy.

          Guidance appreciated,
          Jim

          wrote:
          > Peter!
          > You just stopped my heart. I thought i done screwed up good.
          > I just scambled for my plans the notches are through the frames
          > entirely.......i remembering questioning it but i went along with
          > it. Since i took those pictures i faired in the logs with some
          micro
          > ballon goo and got the bow steps right (top one is an inch
          > high).....the glass tape will leave more of a bump than the log
          > notch.
          > Jason
        • Jason Stancil
          Message 4 of 12 , May 1, 2004
            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, findleyjh@e... wrote:
            > Jason & Peter,
            >
            > Yah, through the frames is what I understood, so that's what I did.
            >
            > My much greater concern - after reading this conversation - is
            that I
            > REALLY screwed up by "drinking while lofting". Now I feel
            obligated
            > to drink throughout just for the sake of consistancy.
            >
            > Guidance appreciated,
            > Jim

            Hey jim where are you in the process?
            Glad i'm not the only one doing this. I feel like a jack ass asking
            all these questions and fielding my ideas to these poor souls. But
            they already made the mistakes and got the job done. I really value
            the imput from these guys even if i totally disregard it and do dumb
            things anyhow.
            Thanks Everyone,
            Jason
          • john henry
            Message 5 of 12 , May 1, 2004
              Hey Jason
              I put off starting my Micro till this fall rather than starting the project late and not being able to finish it this summer. The wait is well justified by following your progress and letting you ask all the questions. I certainly appreciate your doing so.

              The only problem I see is that when I have to ask questions here the stock answer is going to be, "didn't we just answer that question? Go read the archives ya moron!"

              So I for one appreciate the information that you're harvesting from this group. Thanks.

              Letting others boldly go...first.

              Jason Stancil <jasonstancil@...> wrote:
              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, findleyjh@e... wrote:
              > Jason & Peter,
              >
              > Yah, through the frames is what I understood, so that's what I did.
              >
              > My much greater concern - after reading this conversation - is
              that I
              > REALLY screwed up by "drinking while lofting". Now I feel
              obligated
              > to drink throughout just for the sake of consistancy.
              >
              > Guidance appreciated,
              > Jim

              Hey jim where are you in the process?
              Glad i'm not the only one doing this. I feel like a jack ass asking
              all these questions and fielding my ideas to these poor souls. But
              they already made the mistakes and got the job done. I really value
              the imput from these guys even if i totally disregard it and do dumb
              things anyhow.
              Thanks Everyone,
              Jason

              Bolger rules!!!

              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
              var lrec_target="_top";var lrec_URL = new Array();lrec_URL[1] = "http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=1295b22kj/M=295196.4901138.6050264.3001176/D=groups/S=1705065791:HM/EXP=1083509087/A=1894283/R=0/id=flashurl/SIG=118tuuldn/*http://companion.yahoo.com/?.cpdl=srch";var link="javascript:LRECopenWindow(1)";var lrec_flashfile = 'http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/ya/yahoo_companion/broom_lrec.swf?clickTAG='+link+'';var lrec_altURL = "http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=1295b22kj/M=295196.4901138.6050264.3001176/D=groups/S=1705065791:HM/EXP=1083509087/A=1894283/R=1/id=altimgurl/SIG=118tuuldn/*http://companion.yahoo.com/?.cpdl=srch";var lrec_altimg = "http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/ya/yahoo_companion/lrec.gif";var lrec_width = 300;var lrec_height = 250;

              Message 6 of 12 , May 2, 2004
                Hey Jason,

                The hull's mostly complete. A picture's worth a thousand words, so
                I'll get a couple in the photos section of my profile...soon I hope.
                I'm just a bit out in front of you, but I suspect not for long at the
                pace you've set.

                Mostly these days I seem to be doing more spring cleaning than
                building. Until the weather warms a bit, I'm going to get to the
                interior, the masts/spars, and the keel. I'm looking for some
                information on pouring the lead also. It doesn't look difficult, but
                I'm curious about hanging it. The plans don't call for 'through
                bolting', and I can't help but wonder about strength.

                By the way, your questions seem right on target to me.

                Do you have a launch date targeted?

                Cheers,
                Jim

                > Hey jim where are you in the process?
                > Glad i'm not the only one doing this. I feel like a jack ass asking
                > all these questions and fielding my ideas to these poor souls. But
                > they already made the mistakes and got the job done. I really value
                > the imput from these guys even if i totally disregard it and do
                dumb
                > things anyhow.
                > Thanks Everyone,
                > Jason
              • Jason Stancil
                Message 7 of 12 , May 2, 2004
                  Jim -
                  I'm glad i'm not the only one currently struggling through this
                  micro thing.
                  I'm on the same line of thought with you on the keel......not too
                  worried about it, i just want to get it behind me.
                  I'm looking forward to your pictures get 'em up will ya.
                  Not sure about my building pace, now the weather is getting nice
                  it's hard to stay in the garage and i feel bad running the table saw
                  after 8 pm, my neibors may kill me before i'm done.
                  I've decided to just finish out one compartment at a time. Stern
                  well, bow well, stowage bins, then the interior.....i actually
                  already started framing the bunks cause i wanted to stiffen the hull
                  up before i flip her back over to glass the bottom. Been dragging my
                  feet on that part as i'll need to let her sit untouched for a week
                  before i can prime it and flip it back over.

                  I'm hoping to do sea trials by the end of august but that will be
                  without an electraical system or water tanks. I'm setting the boat
                  up for a bit of micro cruising but just geting it on the water takes
                  precedent over fitting out the cruising gear as i won't take an
                  extended cruise until december. I'm a poor graduate student so
                  funding may slow my progress significantly, only a little bit of tax
                  refund left to plunder.

                  When is your targeted launch date?

                  Jason
                • Nels
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 2, 2004
                    --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, findleyjh@e... wrote:
                    > Hey Jason,
                    I'm looking for some
                    > information on pouring the lead also. It doesn't look difficult,
                    but
                    > I'm curious about hanging it. The plans don't call for 'through
                    > bolting', and I can't help but wonder about strength.

                    I mentioned it twice before and will mention it again. For ten bucks
                    you can get a CD from DW magazine that gives instructions for the
                    lead keel built in traditional fashion.

                    I live in Canada, and the day I ordered my CD's I got an immediate
                    confirmation, from Sandra, that they had been shipped, the same
                    evening and was viewing them within a week. Here is the table of
                    contents listing for the one with the MICRO building articles:

                    http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/store/books_cds/der/der1contents.htm

                    The other source of information is Bud MacIntosh's book "How to Build
                    a Wooden Boat", which also shows the method Peter Lenihan used to
                    build a really weatherproof hatch.

                    Cheers, Nels
                  • findleyjh@earthlink.net
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 2, 2004
                      Thanks Nels,

                      I appreciate your repeating yourself. I've been reading the
                      archives, and I think I only have about 34,000 posts to go!

                      The list of articles in this reader looks terrific: I'll give it a
                      try. As for the book...I live in mortal fear of my wife filing for
                      divorce if I spend any more money on books. [But what she doesn't
                      know, she can't divorce me for.]

                      Cheers,
                      Jim

                    • findleyjh@earthlink.net
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 2, 2004
                        Jason,

                        One compartment at a time sounds like a good approach.

                        I've not set a date certain for the launch (lest I set myself up for
                        failure), but I'm hoping for mid-summer. I'd like to get my family
                        out on Lake Michigan sometime this summer/fall.

                        Cheers,
                        Jim

                        wrote:
                        > Jim -
                        > I'm glad i'm not the only one currently struggling through this
                        > micro thing.
                        > I'm on the same line of thought with you on the keel......not too
                        > worried about it, i just want to get it behind me.
                        > I'm looking forward to your pictures get 'em up will ya.
                        > Not sure about my building pace, now the weather is getting nice
                        > it's hard to stay in the garage and i feel bad running the table
                        saw
                        > after 8 pm, my neibors may kill me before i'm done.
                        > I've decided to just finish out one compartment at a time. Stern
                        > well, bow well, stowage bins, then the interior.....i actually
                        > already started framing the bunks cause i wanted to stiffen the
                        hull
                        > up before i flip her back over to glass the bottom. Been dragging
                        my
                        > feet on that part as i'll need to let her sit untouched for a week
                        > before i can prime it and flip it back over.
                        >
                        > I'm hoping to do sea trials by the end of august but that will be
                        > without an electraical system or water tanks. I'm setting the boat
                        > up for a bit of micro cruising but just geting it on the water
                        takes
                        > precedent over fitting out the cruising gear as i won't take an
                        > extended cruise until december. I'm a poor graduate student so
                        > funding may slow my progress significantly, only a little bit of
                        tax
                        > refund left to plunder.
                        >
                        > When is your targeted launch date?
                        >
                        > Jason
                      • Nels
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 2, 2004
                          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, findleyjh@e... wrote:
                          > Thanks Nels,

                          As for the book...I live in mortal fear of my wife filing for
                          > divorce if I spend any more money on books. [But what she doesn't
                          > know, she can't divorce me for.]
                          >
                          > Cheers,
                          > Jim

                          Hi Jim,

                          The book should be available at most libraries. We even have it in
                          ours up here in Regina, Saskatchewan:-)

                          Sorry to hear about your wife. I'm sure you will miss her for awhile,
                          but such is the life of a Bolgerista;-)

                          Cheers, Nels