micro pictures online

  • Jason Stancil
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 30, 2004
      Hey i got off my lazy bum and uploaded some pictures of building my
      micro navigator.
      Go to:
      ofoto.com
      username is jasonstancil(@)hotmail.com...........please don't spam
      me. The password is bolger.

      Flipping the 3/8 " micro was a bear, but not nearly as bad as
      getting it back in the basement. Could'nt believe it she's square
      the only thing off, albiet only a hair is the bow transom. Less than
      an eighth but i know it's there. I have since added two micro
      navigator specific frames to the boat (not epoxied in yet)....when i
      put it together i just used temp frames as bolger planned for the
      regular micro. Unfortunately when i put the bottom on epoxy ran down
      into the screwed in place temp frame joints.....so i'm going to have
      to grind them out. two steps forward one back. Having fun. she'll
      get wet before summers over. Looking forward to putting the sheer
      clamps and rubrails on tommorrow. Maybe i'll fillet the bulkheads
      and logs too......i've used biger logs on a brick i don't trust them
      entirely. Suggestions?
      Jason
    • Peter Lenihan
      Message 2 of 12 , May 1, 2004
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Stancil" <jasonstancil@h...>
        wrote:
        > Hey i got off my lazy bum and uploaded some pictures of building
        my
        > micro navigator.
        > Go to:
        > ofoto.com
        > username is jasonstancil(@)hotmail.com...........please don't spam
        > me. The password is bolger.

        Jason,
        Thanks for the nice pictures. I couldn't help but to notice that
        for both your bow transom and transom,you have cut out,right through
        the plywood,the notches for the chine logs and shear clamps.Is this
        really how it is shown on the plans? I only ask since I did mine
        with notches in the backing frames of the two transoms but not
        through the plywood thus making for a nice even exterior surface and
        easy protection for the end grains of the chine logs and shear
        clamps.
        Nevertheless, I still can't believe I screwed up my transoms and
        never noticed......hopefully Nels,the new owner of LESTAT, hasn't
        noticed either :-). I can't find my Micro plans right now but could
        someone out there confirm for me what the plans say regarding the
        chine logs and shear clamps at the transoms?
        Keep up the good work Jason and here's to wishing you a
        successful launch this summer!!!

        Sincerely,

        Peter Lenihan,ex owner/builder of LESTAT and un-reformed lunatic who
        would never dream of actually drinking through the lofting
        process.Construction and finishing stages,no problem but NEVER while
        lofting........
      • Jason Stancil
        Message 3 of 12 , May 1, 2004
          Peter!
          You just stopped my heart. I thought i done screwed up good.
          I just scambled for my plans the notches are through the frames
          entirely.......i remembering questioning it but i went along with
          it. Since i took those pictures i faired in the logs with some micro
          ballon goo and got the bow steps right (top one is an inch
          high).....the glass tape will leave more of a bump than the log
          notch.
          Jason
        • findleyjh@earthlink.net
          Message 4 of 12 , May 1, 2004
            Jason & Peter,

            Yah, through the frames is what I understood, so that's what I did.

            My much greater concern - after reading this conversation - is that I
            REALLY screwed up by "drinking while lofting". Now I feel obligated
            to drink throughout just for the sake of consistancy.

            Guidance appreciated,
            Jim

            wrote:
            > Peter!
            > You just stopped my heart. I thought i done screwed up good.
            > I just scambled for my plans the notches are through the frames
            > entirely.......i remembering questioning it but i went along with
            > it. Since i took those pictures i faired in the logs with some
            micro
            > ballon goo and got the bow steps right (top one is an inch
            > high).....the glass tape will leave more of a bump than the log
            > notch.
            > Jason
          • Jason Stancil
            Message 5 of 12 , May 1, 2004
              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, findleyjh@e... wrote:
              > Jason & Peter,
              >
              > Yah, through the frames is what I understood, so that's what I did.
              >
              > My much greater concern - after reading this conversation - is
              that I
              > REALLY screwed up by "drinking while lofting". Now I feel
              obligated
              > to drink throughout just for the sake of consistancy.
              >
              > Guidance appreciated,
              > Jim

              Hey jim where are you in the process?
              Glad i'm not the only one doing this. I feel like a jack ass asking
              all these questions and fielding my ideas to these poor souls. But
              they already made the mistakes and got the job done. I really value
              the imput from these guys even if i totally disregard it and do dumb
              things anyhow.
              Thanks Everyone,
              Jason
            • john henry
              Message 6 of 12 , May 1, 2004
                Hey Jason
                I put off starting my Micro till this fall rather than starting the project late and not being able to finish it this summer. The wait is well justified by following your progress and letting you ask all the questions. I certainly appreciate your doing so.

                The only problem I see is that when I have to ask questions here the stock answer is going to be, "didn't we just answer that question? Go read the archives ya moron!"

                So I for one appreciate the information that you're harvesting from this group. Thanks.

                Letting others boldly go...first.

                Jason Stancil <jasonstancil@...> wrote:
                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, findleyjh@e... wrote:
                > Jason & Peter,
                >
                > Yah, through the frames is what I understood, so that's what I did.
                >
                > My much greater concern - after reading this conversation - is
                that I
                > REALLY screwed up by "drinking while lofting". Now I feel
                obligated
                > to drink throughout just for the sake of consistancy.
                >
                > Guidance appreciated,
                > Jim

                Hey jim where are you in the process?
                Glad i'm not the only one doing this. I feel like a jack ass asking
                all these questions and fielding my ideas to these poor souls. But
                they already made the mistakes and got the job done. I really value
                the imput from these guys even if i totally disregard it and do dumb
                things anyhow.
                Thanks Everyone,
                Jason

                Bolger rules!!!

                Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
                var lrec_target="_top";var lrec_URL = new Array();lrec_URL[1] = "http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=1295b22kj/M=295196.4901138.6050264.3001176/D=groups/S=1705065791:HM/EXP=1083509087/A=1894283/R=0/id=flashurl/SIG=118tuuldn/*http://companion.yahoo.com/?.cpdl=srch";var link="javascript:LRECopenWindow(1)";var lrec_flashfile = 'http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/ya/yahoo_companion/broom_lrec.swf?clickTAG='+link+'';var lrec_altURL = "http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=1295b22kj/M=295196.4901138.6050264.3001176/D=groups/S=1705065791:HM/EXP=1083509087/A=1894283/R=1/id=altimgurl/SIG=118tuuldn/*http://companion.yahoo.com/?.cpdl=srch";var lrec_altimg = "http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/ya/yahoo_companion/lrec.gif";var lrec_width = 300;var lrec_height = 250;

                Message 7 of 12 , May 2, 2004
                  Hey Jason,

                  The hull's mostly complete. A picture's worth a thousand words, so
                  I'll get a couple in the photos section of my profile...soon I hope.
                  I'm just a bit out in front of you, but I suspect not for long at the
                  pace you've set.

                  Mostly these days I seem to be doing more spring cleaning than
                  building. Until the weather warms a bit, I'm going to get to the
                  interior, the masts/spars, and the keel. I'm looking for some
                  information on pouring the lead also. It doesn't look difficult, but
                  I'm curious about hanging it. The plans don't call for 'through
                  bolting', and I can't help but wonder about strength.

                  By the way, your questions seem right on target to me.

                  Do you have a launch date targeted?

                  Cheers,
                  Jim

                  > Hey jim where are you in the process?
                  > Glad i'm not the only one doing this. I feel like a jack ass asking
                  > all these questions and fielding my ideas to these poor souls. But
                  > they already made the mistakes and got the job done. I really value
                  > the imput from these guys even if i totally disregard it and do
                  dumb
                  > things anyhow.
                  > Thanks Everyone,
                  > Jason
                • Jason Stancil
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 2, 2004
                    Jim -
                    I'm glad i'm not the only one currently struggling through this
                    micro thing.
                    I'm on the same line of thought with you on the keel......not too
                    worried about it, i just want to get it behind me.
                    I'm looking forward to your pictures get 'em up will ya.
                    Not sure about my building pace, now the weather is getting nice
                    it's hard to stay in the garage and i feel bad running the table saw
                    after 8 pm, my neibors may kill me before i'm done.
                    I've decided to just finish out one compartment at a time. Stern
                    well, bow well, stowage bins, then the interior.....i actually
                    already started framing the bunks cause i wanted to stiffen the hull
                    up before i flip her back over to glass the bottom. Been dragging my
                    feet on that part as i'll need to let her sit untouched for a week
                    before i can prime it and flip it back over.

                    I'm hoping to do sea trials by the end of august but that will be
                    without an electraical system or water tanks. I'm setting the boat
                    up for a bit of micro cruising but just geting it on the water takes
                    precedent over fitting out the cruising gear as i won't take an
                    extended cruise until december. I'm a poor graduate student so
                    funding may slow my progress significantly, only a little bit of tax
                    refund left to plunder.

                    When is your targeted launch date?

                    Jason
                  • Nels
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 2, 2004
                      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, findleyjh@e... wrote:
                      > Hey Jason,
                      I'm looking for some
                      > information on pouring the lead also. It doesn't look difficult,
                      but
                      > I'm curious about hanging it. The plans don't call for 'through
                      > bolting', and I can't help but wonder about strength.

                      I mentioned it twice before and will mention it again. For ten bucks
                      you can get a CD from DW magazine that gives instructions for the
                      lead keel built in traditional fashion.

                      I live in Canada, and the day I ordered my CD's I got an immediate
                      confirmation, from Sandra, that they had been shipped, the same
                      evening and was viewing them within a week. Here is the table of
                      contents listing for the one with the MICRO building articles:

                      http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/store/books_cds/der/der1contents.htm

                      The other source of information is Bud MacIntosh's book "How to Build
                      a Wooden Boat", which also shows the method Peter Lenihan used to
                      build a really weatherproof hatch.

                      Cheers, Nels
                    • findleyjh@earthlink.net
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 2, 2004
                        Thanks Nels,

                        I appreciate your repeating yourself. I've been reading the
                        archives, and I think I only have about 34,000 posts to go!

                        The list of articles in this reader looks terrific: I'll give it a
                        try. As for the book...I live in mortal fear of my wife filing for
                        divorce if I spend any more money on books. [But what she doesn't
                        know, she can't divorce me for.]

                        Cheers,
                        Jim

                      • findleyjh@earthlink.net
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 2, 2004
                          Jason,

                          One compartment at a time sounds like a good approach.

                          I've not set a date certain for the launch (lest I set myself up for
                          failure), but I'm hoping for mid-summer. I'd like to get my family
                          out on Lake Michigan sometime this summer/fall.

                          Cheers,
                          Jim

                          wrote:
                          > Jim -
                          > I'm glad i'm not the only one currently struggling through this
                          > micro thing.
                          > I'm on the same line of thought with you on the keel......not too
                          > worried about it, i just want to get it behind me.
                          > I'm looking forward to your pictures get 'em up will ya.
                          > Not sure about my building pace, now the weather is getting nice
                          > it's hard to stay in the garage and i feel bad running the table
                          saw
                          > after 8 pm, my neibors may kill me before i'm done.
                          > I've decided to just finish out one compartment at a time. Stern
                          > well, bow well, stowage bins, then the interior.....i actually
                          > already started framing the bunks cause i wanted to stiffen the
                          hull
                          > up before i flip her back over to glass the bottom. Been dragging
                          my
                          > feet on that part as i'll need to let her sit untouched for a week
                          > before i can prime it and flip it back over.
                          >
                          > I'm hoping to do sea trials by the end of august but that will be
                          > without an electraical system or water tanks. I'm setting the boat
                          > up for a bit of micro cruising but just geting it on the water
                          takes
                          > precedent over fitting out the cruising gear as i won't take an
                          > extended cruise until december. I'm a poor graduate student so
                          > funding may slow my progress significantly, only a little bit of
                          tax
                          > refund left to plunder.
                          >
                          > When is your targeted launch date?
                          >
                          > Jason
                        • Nels
                          Message 12 of 12 , May 2, 2004
                            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, findleyjh@e... wrote:
                            > Thanks Nels,

                            As for the book...I live in mortal fear of my wife filing for
                            > divorce if I spend any more money on books. [But what she doesn't
                            > know, she can't divorce me for.]
                            >
                            > Cheers,
                            > Jim

                            Hi Jim,

                            The book should be available at most libraries. We even have it in
                            ours up here in Regina, Saskatchewan:-)

                            Sorry to hear about your wife. I'm sure you will miss her for awhile,
                            but such is the life of a Bolgerista;-)

                            Cheers, Nels