Yamaha 9.9 high thrust price?

  • bruce@hallman.org
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 30, 2004
      Bolger often specifies the Yamaha 9.9
      high thrust outboard, like on the Champlain
      etc.. I am thinking of this motor for
      my Micro Navigator.

      It appears that Yamaha has their dealers under
      some kind of 'gag order' so that the price of
      these outboards cannot be determined by searching
      websites.

      Does anybody know what the dealer cost
      is for one of these motors?
    • grant corson
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 30, 2004
        I just bought a used one for $1500 in really good condition (only used by a
        little old lady......)
        Grant
        launch date for the boat it goes on will be May 22!

        on 4/30/04 12:58 PM, bruce@... at bruce@... wrote:

        > Bolger often specifies the Yamaha 9.9
        > high thrust outboard, like on the Champlain
        > etc.. I am thinking of this motor for
        > my Micro Navigator.
        >
        > It appears that Yamaha has their dealers under
        > some kind of 'gag order' so that the price of
        > these outboards cannot be determined by searching
        > websites.
        >
        > Does anybody know what the dealer cost
        > is for one of these motors?

        > (978) 282-1349
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • John Bell
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 30, 2004
          Try http://www.boats.net/cgi-local/listings.pl?stype=motor&type=list&HP=9.9

          They list the Yamaha high thrust 9.9 25" shaft, electric start, tiller model
          for $2,200. That's probably $600-700 less than list.

          I wound up buying a Mercury from Bass Pro Shops. They were hundreds less
          than list as well.

          JB

          > I just bought a used one for $1500 in really good condition (only used by
          > little old lady......)
          > Grant
          > launch date for the boat it goes on will be May 22!
          >

          > on 4/30/04 12:58 PM, bruce@... at bruce@... wrote:
          >
          > > Bolger often specifies the Yamaha 9.9
          > > high thrust outboard, like on the Champlain
          > > etc.. I am thinking of this motor for
          > > my Micro Navigator.
          > >
          > > It appears that Yamaha has their dealers under
          > > some kind of 'gag order' so that the price of
          > > these outboards cannot be determined by searching
          > > websites.
          > >
          > > Does anybody know what the dealer cost
          > > is for one of these motors?
          > >

          > > Bolger rules!!!
          > > - no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, or flogging dead horses
          > > - Plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209, Gloucester, MA, 01930,
          Fax:
          > > (978) 282-1349
          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

          (978) 282-1349
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • John Spoering
          Message 4 of 10 , May 1, 2004
            Hi Bruce -

            Just something I try to warn everyone about on the Yamaha O.B.'s --- the fresh water tube that brings water up to cool the motor for some reason is very small in diameter. Everyone I know (myself & my son included) about 12 people, all love the Yamaha but this tube constantly get's clogged from a build-up of salt crystals.

            I suppose Yamaha saves a nickle on each smaller tube.

            The solution we've found is to carry a gallon bottle of "Vinigar" and put it in a bucket and lowering the prop (water intake) into the bucket and run the engine a minute of so to disolve any buildup - it works.

            If I were to buy another O.B. when my "Champlain" is completed I will still go with a Yamaha. Unless Honda or one of the US O.B,'s (are any still made in the USA ?) has corrected this problem.

            Aloha - Jack Spoering - Ft Lauderdale, Fla.

          • John Dart
            Message 5 of 10 , May 1, 2004
              Bruce
              You might want to take a look at the 9.8 Tohatsu 4 stroke--it weighs
              81 pounds for the minimum version. Personally I think the Tohatsu is
              the best outboard in the world--they were originally built for
              commercial fishermen (the smallest outboard to power a boat across
              the Atlantic is a Tohatsu 2 horse--they ran it 13-16 hours a day).

              The 9.8 is $1625 from: http://www.onlineoutboards.com/#

              The 9.9 4 stroke is actually a little cheaper ($1589) but according
              to (this gets interesting) the dealer's websites it weighs 114--but
              according to the official Tohatsu brochure I downloaded from Tohatsu,
              the minimal version should also weigh 81 lbs. I don't know why the
              discrepancy but 30 more pounds on the stern of a Micro could be
              significant.

              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, bruce@h... wrote:
              > Bolger often specifies the Yamaha 9.9
              > high thrust outboard, like on the Champlain
              > etc.. I am thinking of this motor for
              > my Micro Navigator.
              >
              > It appears that Yamaha has their dealers under
              > some kind of 'gag order' so that the price of
              > these outboards cannot be determined by searching
              > websites.
              >
              > Does anybody know what the dealer cost
              > is for one of these motors?
            • Justin Meddock
              Message 6 of 10 , May 1, 2004
                I had a Tohatsu outboard on my keelboat 6-7 years ago, it was a 1987 model
                longshaft. It was really fine piece, ran flawlessly. Well constructed, easy
                to work on.
                However, the importer in Texas discontinued some of the parts,
                lower unit seals, water pump impeller, prop shaft seal.
                The parts are still produced by Tohatsu, the importer refused
                to get them for me. I can see not keeping the parts in the US,
                but an outright refusal to help me in any way on a 10 year old
                product really ticked me off. BTW, Nissan is the same motor,
                same importer. I won't buy another one...

                Justin

                ?

                > Bruce
                > You might want to take a look at the 9.8 Tohatsu 4 stroke--it weighs
                > 81 pounds for the minimum version. Personally I think the Tohatsu is
                > the best outboard in the world--they were originally built for
                > commercial fishermen (the smallest outboard to power a boat across
                > the Atlantic is a Tohatsu 2 horse--they ran it 13-16 hours a day).
                >
                > The 9.8 is $1625 from: http://www.onlineoutboards.com/#
                >
                > The 9.9 4 stroke is actually a little cheaper ($1589) but according
                > to (this gets interesting) the dealer's websites it weighs 114--but
                > according to the official Tohatsu brochure I downloaded from Tohatsu,
                > the minimal version should also weigh 81 lbs. I don't know why the
                > discrepancy but 30 more pounds on the stern of a Micro could be
                > significant.

              • John Bell
                Message 7 of 10 , May 1, 2004
                  FWIW, the Tohatsu 4-stroke 15 looks suspiciously identical to my Mercury
                  4-stroke 15.

                  | I had a Tohatsu outboard on my keelboat 6-7 years ago, it was a 1987 model
                  | longshaft. It was really fine piece, ran flawlessly. Well constructed,
                  easy
                  | to work on.
                  | However, the importer in Texas discontinued some of the parts,
                  | lower unit seals, water pump impeller, prop shaft seal.
                  | The parts are still produced by Tohatsu, the importer refused
                  | to get them for me. I can see not keeping the parts in the US,
                  | but an outright refusal to help me in any way on a 10 year old
                  | product really ticked me off. BTW, Nissan is the same motor,
                  | same importer. I won't buy another one...
                  |
                  | Justin
                  |

                  | ?
                  |

                  | > Bruce
                  | > You might want to take a look at the 9.8 Tohatsu 4 stroke--it weighs
                  | > 81 pounds for the minimum version. Personally I think the Tohatsu is
                  | > the best outboard in the world--they were originally built for
                  | > commercial fishermen (the smallest outboard to power a boat across
                  | > the Atlantic is a Tohatsu 2 horse--they ran it 13-16 hours a day).
                  | >
                  | > The 9.8 is $1625 from: http://www.onlineoutboards.com/#
                  | >
                  | > The 9.9 4 stroke is actually a little cheaper ($1589) but according
                  | > to (this gets interesting) the dealer's websites it weighs 114--but
                  | > according to the official Tohatsu brochure I downloaded from Tohatsu,
                  | > the minimal version should also weigh 81 lbs. I don't know why the
                  | > discrepancy but 30 more pounds on the stern of a Micro could be
                  | > significant.
                  | >

                  | Bolger rules!!!
                  | - no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, or flogging dead horses
                  | - stay on topic, stay on thread, punctuate, no 'Ed, thanks, Fred' posts
                  | - Pls add your comments at the TOP, SIGN your posts, and snip away
                  | - Plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209, Gloucester, MA, 01930, Fax:
                  (978) 282-1349
                  | - Unsubscribe: bolger-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
                  | - Open discussion: bolger_coffee_lounge-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                  | Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Justin Meddock
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 1, 2004
                    Also,

                    I forgot to add that you can get parts for US made motors
                    in nearly every town in the country, my Japanese motors
                    (Tohatsu, Suzuki, Honda) have been
                    much more difficult to get parts for. I forget what we were powering
                    in this thread, but if I was cruising ICW, rivers, or Great Lakes, I would
                    feel better with US motor. The Japanese motor dealerships are more
                    common now than they were 10 years ago, but I sure like being able to
                    walk in the dealer and point to the part I need on the
                    page/microfiche/monitor
                    vs. describing the part I want to the parts guy over the phone @ the
                    dealer 300 miles away.

                    Justin
                  • pvanderwaart
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 2, 2004
                      > I would
                      > feel better with a US motor.

                      Is there such a thing as a US motor? From what I understand, there
                      are perhaps two companies making low-power outboards in Japan (Honda
                      & Tomatsu) which are sold under a range of brand names: Mariner,
                      Nissan, Mercury, etc.

                      The OMC business which was still making it's own higher horsepower
                      engines was bought by a Canadian company, and who knows where the
                      motors are made. My own motor guy, a Mercury dealer, says that
                      dealers are fleeing from the OMC brands.

                      Peter
                    • Roger Derby
                      Message 10 of 10 , May 9, 2004
                        Any experience with http://www.maxrules.com/fixnissanindex.html ???
                        They show lots of parts for Tohatsu outboards.

                        Roger
                        derbyrm@...
                        derbyrm.mystarband.net/default.htm