Re: woohoooooo! I got a mast.

  • dbaldnz
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 29, 2004
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Stancil" <jasonstancil@h...>
      wrote:

      > I stopped in at this WV ghetto machine shop just to ask.......and
      > there it was a 20' x 4" schedule 40 extruded aluminum
      pipe......$100
      > for me to "get it the hell out of my(his) shop"......the stuff is
      > actually 4.5" OD but it's 4" says so on the side of it......i guess
      > it's measured wierd like lumber? I figure it weighs about 60lbs but
      > it's not bad. I got it on my roof rack and home without a hitch.
      > I've been practicing "stepping" it in my yard on my imaginary boat.
      > It's not bad. Pretty sure people will start running at the boat
      ramp
      > though. My dog is terrified of it already. It's strong as heck to
      > i've jumped on it and swung on it and it just flexes a bit.

      Bolger
      > knew what he was doing when he called for it in the plans.
      > Now i've got to score a mizzen mast.
      >
      > Jason

      Well, sorry Jason, but he was wrong on both counts in this case. I
      have in front of me his letter, which says that "metal spars were
      adopted on the assumption that they would be cheaper than wood, as
      well as lighter."
      The aluminium mast is more than twice the weight of wood, and far
      more expensive at normal price. Well spotted by you in finding the
      bargain, but 60lbs of mast in the eyes of a little boat......uhggggg!
      DonB