Re: woohoooooo! I got a mast.

  • bruce@hallman.org
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 29, 2004
      --- jasonstancil@h...> wrote:
      > schedule 40 extruded aluminum pipe......$100

      That is a great price, I got quoted $450
      for the same pipe.

      Webshots works great. You want to keep a
      photo record of your construction, if for no
      other reason than that PB&F want to see photos.
      Plus, you will get better answers to your
      questions if you can illustrate with photos.

      Take some of the money you saved on your mast and
      splurge on the 'for pay' version of Webshots, it is
      cheaper and quicker than using a film camera
      and conventional photo processing. I forget how much
      it costs, $20/year?

      Webshots has a limited sized 'free' option, but
      the image quality is not good enough to order
      prints. I gave up using a home printer to make
      photo prints, too slow, frustrating and expensive.
      Using an onlike photo site, like Webshots, is
      easier, as quick, and cheaper than film.

      I just use an el-cheapo $60 digital camera that
      takes 1152 x 864 size images, which are plenty
      good enough to print to 4x6 prints.
    • dbaldnz
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 29, 2004
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Stancil" <jasonstancil@h...>
        wrote:

        > I stopped in at this WV ghetto machine shop just to ask.......and
        > there it was a 20' x 4" schedule 40 extruded aluminum
        pipe......$100
        > for me to "get it the hell out of my(his) shop"......the stuff is
        > actually 4.5" OD but it's 4" says so on the side of it......i guess
        > it's measured wierd like lumber? I figure it weighs about 60lbs but
        > it's not bad. I got it on my roof rack and home without a hitch.
        > I've been practicing "stepping" it in my yard on my imaginary boat.
        > It's not bad. Pretty sure people will start running at the boat
        ramp
        > though. My dog is terrified of it already. It's strong as heck to
        > i've jumped on it and swung on it and it just flexes a bit.

        Bolger
        > knew what he was doing when he called for it in the plans.
        > Now i've got to score a mizzen mast.
        >
        > Jason

        Well, sorry Jason, but he was wrong on both counts in this case. I
        have in front of me his letter, which says that "metal spars were
        adopted on the assumption that they would be cheaper than wood, as
        well as lighter."
        The aluminium mast is more than twice the weight of wood, and far
        more expensive at normal price. Well spotted by you in finding the
        bargain, but 60lbs of mast in the eyes of a little boat......uhggggg!
        DonB