[bolger] Re: Another New Member Here (NW FL)

  • GHC
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 20, 1999
      Hi Don,

      Unfortunate to hear about your blueboard experiment - it was clever and
      sounded pretty good. I wonder if the styrofoam just doesn't have the shear
      strength of urethane foams like divinicell/klegecell, etc. If it's
      twisting apart, that's probably the case. Have you tried to stiffen it up
      with thwart seats?

      Devlin's boats are certainly pretty, but I think complex. What about
      building Bolger's recent power trimaram for gunkholing on the ICW? (If
      Devlin's are too fancy for the Gulf coast, the tri might go too far the
      other way...)

      The hull design freeware has been a lot of fun, and I've "met" some
      interesting people.

      BTW, you may know I'm from Tulsa, but I'm sitting on my boat just now in
      Pensacola. We sailed outside to Panama City the other day (10.6 knots for
      several hours before a big thunderhead ate up those 100 miles!), as we
      can't unfortunately navigate the bridges on the ICW. Between the sand bars
      and the bridges, it's tough down here (but beautiful)!

      Gregg Carlson

    • Donald Hodges
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 20, 1999
        Retriever is a 22-foot "sedan cruiser" for outboard power, much as I
        described on my wish list; it is relatively much wider and fuller forward
        than the
        Tennessee, and has a full length "cutwater" keel box . There has been one
        advertised with a photo for several months in "Messing About", if you have
        access to a copy. (I'll put subscription info at the end of this message -
        required reading for small boat enthusiasts - I'm not an agent, just a
        satisfied subscriber. I'll also try to put some (limited) scans from it on
        my website - it is not copyrighted and I have an acknowledgement from the
        editor that he has no objection to - or interest in - my "promoting" his
        content).

        There are two other derivatives on the "Retriever" hull, with different
        cabin arrangements, but I forget the design names. Bolger also has a design
        called a "fast motorsailer" in this size range, and maybe others... that's
        what I was asking about, the others if any.

        Subscription info for MAIB (Editor/Publisher: Bob Hicks, a recovering
        motorcyclist, Assistant Editor: Hewlett-Packard Scanner, a black/white pulp
        journal of small boating, 24 issues per year, $24 per year USA, $36 US
        funds drawn on US bank or International Money Order - Canada/International):

        Messing About In Boats
        29 Burley Street
        Wenham, MA 01984-1943

        Don Hodges
        Lynn Haven, FL

        From: plea@... <plea@...>
        To: bolger@... <bolger@...>
        Date: Tuesday, July 20, 1999 7:41 AM
        Subject: [bolger] Re: Another New Member Here (NW FL)

      • duckworks@hilconet.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 20, 1999
          Don:

          I built Phil's Tennessee, and I can say that the "state" boats are not
          hard to build. They may be unconventional, but that is all in the
          direction of economy. Light, easy on gas, and simple to build are the
          hallmarks of these, and in fact many Bolger designs. Give the Idaho a
          look.

          Chuck Leinweber

          original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/?start=32