Re: Talc as epoxy filler

  • Peter Lenihan
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2004
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Roger Derby" <derbyrm@s...> wrote:
      unless you bought the really top grades of
      > talcum powder, what you got was a mix of talc and asbestos.

      My first Bolger boat,a SURF,was built entirely with epoxy and
      asbestos powder.It made for some wonderful fillets and was really
      dirt cheap.In fact, I seem to recall paying something like $18.00Can
      for a green garbage bag full of the stuff!The only draw back,to my
      eyes, was sanding the stuff.........it was about as much fun and
      difficult as attempting to sand a concrete sidewalk.
      And then it happened.Some wisenhiemer figured out that if you slowly
      fill your lungs up with asbestos,you might experience some trouble
      breathing and,heaven forbid,die. Soon a whole industry was born and
      houses were being gutted to remove the silent killer from our midst
      while"inspectors" probed every nook and crevice with delicate
      instruments seeking micron sized"evidence" of the killers presence.
      I keep praying that some other wise guy similarly doesn't come out
      with some study informing the world that the waters of the
      St.Lawrence are a toxic soup barely capable of supporting
      life,causing cancers in whales and subsequently banning the use of
      boats in the river.Yikes!

      Sincerely,

      Peter Lenihan,ex-member of the eternal life club and anxious for when
      the next big adventure begins after being sent off in a Viking
      funeral with all guns blazing and an open bar for the foot dragging