Re: [bolger] Why isn't it setting?

  • John Bell
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 1, 2004
      Miracle Whip ain't mayonaise! I don't know what it is with you cheapskate
      amateur boatbuilders, always trying to use inappropiate materials all in the
      name of saving a dime. When the designer says to use mayonaise, there was a
      darn good reason to use it. And here you go putting Miracle Whip on it
      instead. Can't read the the jar?! It clearly says 'salad dressing'. Next
      time, maybe you'll follow instructions.

      JB - The Boating Curmudgeon

      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 1, 2004
        Either that or your mix ratios where bad and it won't harden.

        The chunky style peanut butter is good for abrasion resistance but not so good for seam fillets though the squirrels may argue the point.

        Jeff

        Oh, and should I have used "extra crunchy" peanut butter?

      • b_owen_ca
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 1, 2004
          Your problem is a common one. First you used Miracle Whip - which is
          not mayonnaise but really a cooked salad dressing i.e. homogenized a
          and flavoured vegetable oil. Hellman's real mayonnaise contains eggs
          and everyone knows that eggs are a strong binding agent. Your second
          problem is related. You needed to use REAL peanut butter. Skippy and
          the like are only oil-extracted peanut meat reconstitued with palm
          oil, sugar and lots of chemicals. Try using real peanut butter and
          add some cayenne pepper to keep the squirrels away. And remember
          there are reversed exothermic bonding agents. Everything will set up
          nicely if you put the whole thing in a freezer and turn the temp down
          to -40 (C. or F. doesn't matter).

          Hope this helps

          BTW - Bonne poisson d'avril a vous.

          Bryant

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Susan Davis" <futabachan@y...> wrote:
          > Hi, all. I'm building a "Flora Lipo 14", designed by Al Polfoir,
          and
          > I'm having some trouble. The instructions say to use "mayonnaise"
          as
          > an adhesive for bonding things together, and to put fillets
          of "peanut
          > butter" in the seams once I wire the hull panels together. I did
          > that, but it doesn't seem to be curing! It's been almost a week
          now,
          > and the Miracle Whip that I used to attach the gunwales is starting
          > get rancid, and the squirrels have been eating the peanut butter
          from
          > the keel and chines. Neither substance is showing much sign of
          > hardening; how much longer will it take?
          >
          > Oh, and should I have used "extra crunchy" peanut butter?
          >
          > --
          > Susan Davis <loof@l...>
        • Bruce Hector
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 1, 2004
            It's probably the cold weather, you're building on the front porch
            in Rochester, no? You need to add a cold weather additive. Alcohol,
            and lots of it. Pour a few gallons of pure ethyl or methyl all over
            the offending seams. Do not use vodka or gin, its 60% water and is
            far better applied internally anyways.

            Then dragging the wreck into the kitchen and put it near the over,
            very near!

            Preheat to 450 then open the door and lean the hull over the
            ovenopening. Change the control to "broil" so the elements won't
            shut off. Then go see a movie.

            Oh yeah, check that your fire insurance is all paid up and that the
            coverages are current replacement values.

            If followed exactly this should make your move to Kanukistan far
            simpler.

            Bruce Hector
            Heading for Rochester with my kebab skewers and a box of hoffbrau
            sausages to go with the cooler of good Dunklesbier dark German style
            ale Chuck showed me in Fredericksbug, TX.
          • Frank San Miguel
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 1, 2004
              Susan,

              Also keep in mind that the only *real* mayonsaise is Hellmans, but you
              can only get it east of the Mississippi river. It is called "Best
              Foods" west of the Mississippi. Which I take to mean that you can
              only build this boat east of the Mississippi and only in the United
              States.

              Frank
              East of The Mississippi, USA

              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Susan Davis" <futabachan@y...> wrote:
              > Hi, all. I'm building a "Flora Lipo 14", designed by Al Polfoir, and
              > I'm having some trouble. The instructions say to use "mayonnaise" as
              > an adhesive for bonding things together, and to put fillets of "peanut
              > butter" in the seams once I wire the hull panels together. I did
              > that, but it doesn't seem to be curing! It's been almost a week now,
              > and the Miracle Whip that I used to attach the gunwales is starting to
              > get rancid, and the squirrels have been eating the peanut butter from
              > the keel and chines. Neither substance is showing much sign of
              > hardening; how much longer will it take?
              >
              > Oh, and should I have used "extra crunchy" peanut butter?
              >
              > --
              > Susan Davis <loof@l...>
            • Peter Lenihan
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 1, 2004
                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Frank San Miguel" <sanmi@y...> wrote:
                Which I take to mean that you can
                > only build this boat east of the Mississippi and only in the United
                > States.
                >
                > Frank
                > East of The Mississippi, USA

                Well now, that explains why I am stuck having to use maple syrup and
                some Godaweful stuff called nutella.Blagh! Is it any wonder I drink
                so much beer.......you guys to the South have it all over us in the
                glue department :-)

                Sincerely,

                Peter Lenihan,North of all American rivers...........
              • John Bell
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 1, 2004

                  > Well now, that explains why I am stuck having to use maple syrup and
                  > some Godaweful stuff called nutella.Blagh! Is it any wonder I drink
                  > so much beer.......you guys to the South have it all over us in the
                  > glue department :-)

                  I'm envious of our antipodian brethren who have access to large supplies
                  inexpensively of that wonderful substance -- Vegemite!
                • b_owen_ca
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 1, 2004
                    We have Hellman's in Canada (I've some of it in the fridge right now)
                    so the boat could be built here.

                    Bryant

                    --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Frank San Miguel" <sanmi@y...> wrote:
                    > Susan,
                    >
                    > Also keep in mind that the only *real* mayonsaise is Hellmans, but
                    you
                    > can only get it east of the Mississippi river. It is called "Best
                    > Foods" west of the Mississippi. Which I take to mean that you can
                    > only build this boat east of the Mississippi and only in the United
                    > States.
                    >
                    > Frank
                    > East of The Mississippi, USA
                    >

                    > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Susan Davis" <futabachan@y...>
                    wrote:
                    > > Hi, all. I'm building a "Flora Lipo 14", designed by Al Polfoir,
                    and
                    > > I'm having some trouble. The instructions say to
                    use "mayonnaise" as
                    > > an adhesive for bonding things together, and to put fillets
                    of "peanut
                    > > butter" in the seams once I wire the hull panels together. I did
                    > > that, but it doesn't seem to be curing! It's been almost a week
                    now,
                    > > and the Miracle Whip that I used to attach the gunwales is
                    starting to
                    > > get rancid, and the squirrels have been eating the peanut butter
                    from
                    > > the keel and chines. Neither substance is showing much sign of
                    > > hardening; how much longer will it take?
                    > >
                    > > Oh, and should I have used "extra crunchy" peanut butter?
                    > >
                    > > --
                    > > Susan Davis <loof@l...>
                  • Frank San Miguel
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 1, 2004
                      Susan,

                      I'm having trouble finding any info on the Flora Lipo 14, but I did
                      see one website that mentions that the design is based on traditional
                      fishing vessels of Ralfo Pilo of the Olliparfo island chain in the
                      southern Mediterranean. Can you tell us any more about this design?

                      Frank
                      Also considering building a Flora Lipo 14

                      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Susan Davis" <futabachan@y...> wrote:
                      > Hi, all. I'm building a "Flora Lipo 14", designed by Al Polfoir, and
                      > I'm having some trouble. The instructions say to use "mayonnaise" as
                      > an adhesive for bonding things together, and to put fillets of "peanut
                      > butter" in the seams once I wire the hull panels together. I did
                      > that, but it doesn't seem to be curing! It's been almost a week now,
                      > and the Miracle Whip that I used to attach the gunwales is starting to
                      > get rancid, and the squirrels have been eating the peanut butter from
                      > the keel and chines. Neither substance is showing much sign of
                      > hardening; how much longer will it take?
                      >
                      > Oh, and should I have used "extra crunchy" peanut butter?
                      >
                      > --
                      > Susan Davis <loof@l...>
                    • oceanplodder2003
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 1, 2004
                        I'm back in NZ and Vegemite is cheap and abundant, though I prefer
                        Marmite.
                        If any of you poor unfortunates in the cold wintry north need some I
                        will ship it to you at cost plus 25% plus shipping

                        David

                        Ps Still thinking about a light schooner for my winter project
                      • Susan Davis
                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 1, 2004
                          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Frank San Miguel" <sanmi@y...> wrote:

                          > I'm having trouble finding any info on the Flora Lipo 14, but I did
                          > see one website that mentions that the design is based on
                          > traditional fishing vessels of Ralfo Pilo of the Olliparfo island
                          > chain in the southern Mediterranean.

                          The D'Avril fishing vessels of the Olliparfos range in length from
                          4.1m to 41'. The Flora Lipo 14 is an adaptation of one of the smaller
                          designs for portageable folding trailerable transoceanic canal beach
                          cruising and whitewater use, and modern plywood-and-grocery-products
                          construction. You can get the plans from Quackworks, from
                          Congenitally Shady Plans, or directly from Al Polfoir & Hangers On.

                          --
                          Susan Davis <futabachan@...>