Re: Sneakeasy

  • Tom Rund
    Message 1 of 42 , Apr 1, 2004
      Jeff,

      Have you considered changing the drake tail stern to a slipper launch
      style stern? The inboard power you're using would make this possible.

      Tom

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff" <boatbuilding@g...> wrote:
      > There has been considerable talk about small inboard engines
      lately. I'm planning on getting started mounting my 20 HP, 2
      cylinder Kawasaki motor in the Sneakeasy this weekend. I have 6'
      prop shaft, propeller, u-joint, and cutlass bearing ready to be
      fitted from BeaverTail Motors. They're great to work with and had no
      problems custom fitting a U-Joint to fit the Kawasaki for $15.00
      additional charge.

      > The way it's looking, I'll have an enclosed engine bay behind the
      front seat and will be converting the splash well to a rear seat
      area. The engine bay will be enclosed with blowers to keep things
      cooled and the exhaust will be well wrapped to keep the heat
      contained and will exit out the bottom following the prop shaft out
      the back of the boat.

      > I started forming the clam shells for the Kitchen Rudder from 6
      layers of 8 ounce carbon fiber cloth and then wrapped in 4 layers of
      8 oz. fiberglass. I used a large plastic bucket for my mold since
      the 9 inch propeller fit's perfectly inside. Next will be to split
      the "molded pipe" so to speak and cut the clam shells to shape.

      > This is strictly a project to test several types of "Kitchen
      Rudders" out there with a model of the Wyoming. I have always been
      unconventional in thinking about boat building and this just seemed
      like a fun project. I'll post more pictures on my website after the
      weekend.

      > April brings outdoor boat building near so I must get the Sneakeasy
      done and launched by May to get started on the last section of the
      Wyoming.

      > Jeff
      > www.4dw.net/cosailor

    • sirdarnell
      Message 42 of 42 , Aug 27, 2010
        Looks like my brother's boat just before the back end rises up and the boat goes on plane. Probably running at that intermediate speed (above displacement, but below planing) in order to get the picture?