Sneakeasy

  • Jeff
    Message 1 of 42 , Apr 1, 2004
      There has been considerable talk about small inboard engines lately. I'm planning on getting started mounting my 20 HP, 2 cylinder Kawasaki motor in the Sneakeasy this weekend. I have 6' prop shaft, propeller, u-joint, and cutlass bearing ready to be fitted from BeaverTail Motors. They're great to work with and had no problems custom fitting a U-Joint to fit the Kawasaki for $15.00 additional charge.

      The way it's looking, I'll have an enclosed engine bay behind the front seat and will be converting the splash well to a rear seat area. The engine bay will be enclosed with blowers to keep things cooled and the exhaust will be well wrapped to keep the heat contained and will exit out the bottom following the prop shaft out the back of the boat.

      I started forming the clam shells for the Kitchen Rudder from 6 layers of 8 ounce carbon fiber cloth and then wrapped in 4 layers of 8 oz. fiberglass. I used a large plastic bucket for my mold since the 9 inch propeller fit's perfectly inside. Next will be to split the "molded pipe" so to speak and cut the clam shells to shape.

      This is strictly a project to test several types of "Kitchen Rudders" out there with a model of the Wyoming. I have always been unconventional in thinking about boat building and this just seemed like a fun project. I'll post more pictures on my website after the weekend.

      April brings outdoor boat building near so I must get the Sneakeasy done and launched by May to get started on the last section of the Wyoming.

      Jeff
      www.4dw.net/cosailor

    • sirdarnell
      Message 42 of 42 , Aug 27, 2010
        Looks like my brother's boat just before the back end rises up and the boat goes on plane. Probably running at that intermediate speed (above displacement, but below planing) in order to get the picture?