Talc as epoxy filler

  • Kurt P. Herzog
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2004
      "Jeff" <boatbuilding@...> said:

      "I've use a lot of wood flour in the past but have switched
      to Talc. It's relatively cheap, mixes easy, sands well, and
      can be found anywhere. Baby powder is pure Talc with
      Fragrance."

      You can buy pure, unscented talc in most well-equiped
      pharmacies.
      Ask the pharmacist.

      . . . Kurt

      Kurt P. Herzog
      Grants Pass, OR 97526

      kpherzog@...
    • Jeff
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1, 2004
        I found that to be true but when purchased through a pharmacy it cost more than dropping into Wal-Mart, Target, etc. and grabbing the big bottles of baby powder. I suppose they figure that if your going to a pharmacist, your not price shopping.

        I found that I like the way talc sands over micro-balloons. It vacuums easier with the dust collector. I think the Micro balloons are essentially hollow spheres that make the sanding dust very "wispy" for lack of a better term that can escape away from the sander before being captured by the vacuum from the dust collector.

        Jeff

        "I've use a lot of wood flour in the past but have switched
        to Talc. It's relatively cheap, mixes easy, sands well, and
        can be found anywhere. Baby powder is pure Talc with
        Fragrance."

        You can buy pure, unscented talc in most well-equiped
        pharmacies.
        Ask the pharmacist.

        . . . Kurt

        Kurt P. Herzog
        Grants Pass, OR 97526

        kpherzog@...

        Bolger rules!!!
        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Tom Rund
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 1, 2004
          After fairing with Talc, what is put on next? Primer? Larry at Raka
          told me that talc should be re-coated with epoxy.

          Tom

          subscribe@yahoogroups.com
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Roger Derby
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 1, 2004
            A few years ago, I noticed my barber was no longer using talcum powder.
            When I asked why, he replied that unless you bought the really top grades of
            talcum powder, what you got was a mix of talc and asbestos. Apparently the
            deposits tend to interleave and the fellow with the backhoe doesn't worry
            too much.

            So, if you believe the trial lawyers and worry about your health, you might
            want to wear a real good mask when working with the stuff.

            I've been experimenting with using lime, from the garden supply places, as a
            filler to create a bullet proof coating for such places as the chain locker.
            It comes out a funny gray color and sanding is ??? -- I didn't try it. It
            leveled real smooth on a horizontal surface. (Original idea from MAIB.)

            Roger
            derbyrm@...
            http://derbyrm.mystarband.net

            > "I've use a lot of wood flour in the past but have switched
            > to Talc. It's relatively cheap, mixes easy, sands well, and
            > can be found anywhere. Baby powder is pure Talc with
            > Fragrance."
          • Jeff
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 1, 2004
              For boats left at a dock or mooring for long periods it might be okay to do and on my Wyo I am putting a coat of copper impregnated epoxy so it'll be recoated.

              I would only do it for under the water line only AND if I don't have fiberglass cloth laid on the plywood. I feel the cloth holds enough epoxy to keep it water proofed.

              For trailer boats it seems to me a waste of time and epoxy. Of course if you've gotten too aggressive and sanded through the epoxy, by all means recoat.

              My opinion only of course.

              Jeff

              After fairing with Talc, what is put on next? Primer? Larry at Raka
              told me that talc should be re-coated with epoxy.

              Tom

              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff" <boatbuilding@g...> wrote:
              > I found that to be true but when purchased through a pharmacy it
              cost more than dropping into Wal-Mart, Target, etc. and grabbing the
              big bottles of baby powder. I suppose they figure that if your going
              to a pharmacist, your not price shopping.

              > I found that I like the way talc sands over micro-balloons. It
              vacuums easier with the dust collector. I think the Micro balloons
              are essentially hollow spheres that make the sanding dust
              very "wispy" for lack of a better term that can escape away from the
              sander before being captured by the vacuum from the dust collector.

              > Jeff

              Bolger rules!!!
              Yahoo! Groups Links

            • lon wells
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 1, 2004
                --- Roger Derby <derbyrm@...> wrote:
                > > I've been experimenting with using lime, from the
                > garden supply places, as a
                > filler to create a bullet proof coating for such
                > places as the chain locker.

                Roger
                The Chinese used lime and tung oil as a filler for
                hundreds of years. I tried it on my Chinese Junk with
                good success. You are smart to wear the dust mask you
                only have one pair of lungs
                Lon

              • Peter Lenihan
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 1, 2004
                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Roger Derby" <derbyrm@s...> wrote:
                  unless you bought the really top grades of
                  > talcum powder, what you got was a mix of talc and asbestos.

                  My first Bolger boat,a SURF,was built entirely with epoxy and
                  asbestos powder.It made for some wonderful fillets and was really
                  dirt cheap.In fact, I seem to recall paying something like $18.00Can
                  for a green garbage bag full of the stuff!The only draw back,to my
                  eyes, was sanding the stuff.........it was about as much fun and
                  difficult as attempting to sand a concrete sidewalk.
                  And then it happened.Some wisenhiemer figured out that if you slowly
                  fill your lungs up with asbestos,you might experience some trouble
                  breathing and,heaven forbid,die. Soon a whole industry was born and
                  houses were being gutted to remove the silent killer from our midst
                  while"inspectors" probed every nook and crevice with delicate
                  instruments seeking micron sized"evidence" of the killers presence.
                  I keep praying that some other wise guy similarly doesn't come out
                  with some study informing the world that the waters of the
                  St.Lawrence are a toxic soup barely capable of supporting
                  life,causing cancers in whales and subsequently banning the use of
                  boats in the river.Yikes!

                  Sincerely,

                  Peter Lenihan,ex-member of the eternal life club and anxious for when
                  the next big adventure begins after being sent off in a Viking
                  funeral with all guns blazing and an open bar for the foot dragging