Re: Canvas deck.

  • Nels
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 31 9:47 PM
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, TOMCBRADY@C... wrote:
      > Hello John and Bob,
      > I will look on WoodenBoat that suggestion makes a lot of
      sense.
      > The reason I was wondering about a painted canvas deck was
      as an
      > alternate, less toxic, less expensive but acceptable substitute for
      epoxy and
      > fiberglass.

      Hi Tom,

      I have a wood and canvas canoe and one of the reasons that canvas
      worked was that lead fillers and paint where the traditional
      preservativies for the cotton fabric. Regular paints won't work as
      well. However a canoe is also not exposed to the sun as much as a
      boat deck.

      Not sure how long a canvas deck would last in the Florida sun and
      climate. Then it takes special skills to install, much more than
      glass cloth, and it is likely more expensive.

      I would think painted MDO on the decks should work. How long do the
      highway signs last in Florida?

      Cheers, Nels
    • Justin Meddock
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1, 2004
        In Buehler's Backyard Boatbuilding, he suggests as an alternative
        to canvas covered or epoxy/glass decks using glass cloth set in a
        water based lagging compound for steam pipes called Arabol.
        I have no idea what the finished product looks like,
        but I assume you get a canvas-like look and texture.
        Anyway, worth a look, and BBB is worth reading too...

        Justin

        > > I will look on WoodenBoat that suggestion makes a lot of
        > sense.
        > > The reason I was wondering about a painted canvas deck was
        > as an
        > > alternate, less toxic, less expensive but acceptable substitute for
        > epoxy and
        > > fiberglass.
        >
        > Hi Tom,
        >
        > I have a wood and canvas canoe and one of the reasons that canvas
        > worked was that lead fillers and paint where the traditional
        > preservativies for the cotton fabric. Regular paints won't work as
        > well. However a canoe is also not exposed to the sun as much as a
        > boat deck.
        >
        > Not sure how long a canvas deck would last in the Florida sun and
        > climate. Then it takes special skills to install, much more than
        > glass cloth, and it is likely more expensive.
        >
        > I would think painted MDO on the decks should work. How long do the
        > highway signs last in Florida?
        >
        > Cheers, Nels

        (978) 282-1349
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • grant corson
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 1, 2004
          What about using Dynel? A woven fabric, not glass, no itch or irratation,
          bed in epoxy and has the look of canvas.
          Grant

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 1, 2004
            --- TOMCBRADY@... wrote:
            > The reason I was wondering
            > about a painted
            > canvas deck was as an
            > alternate, less toxic, less
            > expensive but acceptable
            > substitute for epoxy and
            > fiberglass.

            I used a ripped up cotton
            dress shirt and left over
            latex paint to fasten in
            some foam blocks encased
            in luaun plywood bulkheads.
            [flotation for my Roar]

            This was three years ago and
            it is still holding together.
          • Roger Derby
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 1, 2004
              Buehler's main thesis is that there is no money tree in his backyard.

              He says he tried bedding canvas in epoxy once and would never do it again.

              I enjoyed his reference to "Miami Teak" which is supposedly used for boat
              decks in the low rent districts of South Florida -- three or four layers of
              tarpaper smeared with asphalt based roofing tar and covered with aluminum or
              white "Cool-Dry" trailer roof paint.

              He does like Arabol, as mentioned.

              Roger
              derbyrm@...