Canvas deck.

  • TOMCBRADY@CS.COM
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 31, 2004
      Hello John and Bob,
      I will look on WoodenBoat that suggestion makes a lot of sense.
      The reason I was wondering about a painted canvas deck was as an
      alternate, less toxic, less expensive but acceptable substitute for epoxy and
      fiberglass. Nothing high minded or anything like that. It is discouraging to read
      that even if you spend the money and buy marine fir plywood and even coat it
      with expensive epoxy that it is still going to check unless you go to the added
      expense and work of fiberglassing. Either that or buy really expensive marine
      plywood.
      In the recent MDO discussion it was presented that MDO did not have to
      be fiberglassed all over except for abrasion resistance. And since MDO is
      coated with something other than fiberglass I just started wondering about other
      ways of using plywood.
      I have several of Chapelle's books but I do not have boatbuilding.
      However, our library does a real good job on interlibrary loans, so I suspect
      that I can get it in less than a week. So I will. Thanks for the ino. Tom on
      Sandpiper in SW Florida.

    • Roger Derby
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 31, 2004
        I don't know what the market is today, but when I was getting ready to buy a
        big lot of plywood a few years ago, the suppliers were unanimous that the
        marine fir was junk compared to occume, and it was only a small percentage
        cheaper.

        Two years ago I paid about $45 for 1/2" MDO and about $48 for 3/8" BS 1088
        Occume, delivered. I don't have the quotes handy, but it seemed like the
        marine fir was over $40.

        Roger

        > that even if you spend the money and buy marine fir plywood and even coat
        it
        > with expensive epoxy that it is still going to check unless you go to the
        added
        > expense and work of fiberglassing. Either that or buy really expensive
        marine
        > plywood.
      • Nels
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 31, 2004
          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, TOMCBRADY@C... wrote:
          > Hello John and Bob,
          > I will look on WoodenBoat that suggestion makes a lot of
          sense.
          > The reason I was wondering about a painted canvas deck was
          as an
          > alternate, less toxic, less expensive but acceptable substitute for
          epoxy and
          > fiberglass.

          Hi Tom,

          I have a wood and canvas canoe and one of the reasons that canvas
          worked was that lead fillers and paint where the traditional
          preservativies for the cotton fabric. Regular paints won't work as
          well. However a canoe is also not exposed to the sun as much as a
          boat deck.

          Not sure how long a canvas deck would last in the Florida sun and
          climate. Then it takes special skills to install, much more than
          glass cloth, and it is likely more expensive.

          I would think painted MDO on the decks should work. How long do the
          highway signs last in Florida?

          Cheers, Nels
        • Justin Meddock
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 1 3:30 AM
            In Buehler's Backyard Boatbuilding, he suggests as an alternative
            to canvas covered or epoxy/glass decks using glass cloth set in a
            water based lagging compound for steam pipes called Arabol.
            I have no idea what the finished product looks like,
            but I assume you get a canvas-like look and texture.
            Anyway, worth a look, and BBB is worth reading too...

            Justin

            > > I will look on WoodenBoat that suggestion makes a lot of
            > sense.
            > > The reason I was wondering about a painted canvas deck was
            > as an
            > > alternate, less toxic, less expensive but acceptable substitute for
            > epoxy and
            > > fiberglass.
            >
            > Hi Tom,
            >
            > I have a wood and canvas canoe and one of the reasons that canvas
            > worked was that lead fillers and paint where the traditional
            > preservativies for the cotton fabric. Regular paints won't work as
            > well. However a canoe is also not exposed to the sun as much as a
            > boat deck.
            >
            > Not sure how long a canvas deck would last in the Florida sun and
            > climate. Then it takes special skills to install, much more than
            > glass cloth, and it is likely more expensive.
            >
            > I would think painted MDO on the decks should work. How long do the
            > highway signs last in Florida?
            >
            > Cheers, Nels

            (978) 282-1349
            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • grant corson
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 1 5:03 AM
              What about using Dynel? A woven fabric, not glass, no itch or irratation,
              bed in epoxy and has the look of canvas.
              Grant

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 1 6:05 AM
                --- TOMCBRADY@... wrote:
                > The reason I was wondering
                > about a painted
                > canvas deck was as an
                > alternate, less toxic, less
                > expensive but acceptable
                > substitute for epoxy and
                > fiberglass.

                I used a ripped up cotton
                dress shirt and left over
                latex paint to fasten in
                some foam blocks encased
                in luaun plywood bulkheads.
                [flotation for my Roar]

                This was three years ago and
                it is still holding together.
              • Roger Derby
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 1 7:01 AM
                  Buehler's main thesis is that there is no money tree in his backyard.

                  He says he tried bedding canvas in epoxy once and would never do it again.

                  I enjoyed his reference to "Miami Teak" which is supposedly used for boat
                  decks in the low rent districts of South Florida -- three or four layers of
                  tarpaper smeared with asphalt based roofing tar and covered with aluminum or
                  white "Cool-Dry" trailer roof paint.

                  He does like Arabol, as mentioned.

                  Roger
                  derbyrm@...