Canvas in paint

  • TOMCBRADY@CS.COM
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 31, 2004
      Hi All,
      Does anyone ever use canvas in paint for decks and particularly cabin
      tops like was done years ago. I used a canvas covered canoe some that was
      years old with just painted canvas covering and it had held up well and was still
      going. I wondered if it might be a viable substitute for epoxy and fiberglass
      in certain situations. Also, does anyone know what kind of ''canvas'' was used
      and what paint (oil based paint??) and how it was applied, installed
      whatever? Would this kind of treatment stop fir marine plywood from checking?
      Tom on Sandpiper in SW Florida.

    • John Bell
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 31, 2004
        Head over to the WoodenBoat forum from http://www.woodenboat.com The guys
        over there will tell you the right way to do it.

        JB

        > Does anyone ever use canvas in paint for decks and particularly
        cabin
        > tops like was done years ago. I used a canvas covered canoe some that was
        > years old with just painted canvas covering and it had held up well and
        was still
        > going. I wondered if it might be a viable substitute for epoxy and
        fiberglass
        > in certain situations. Also, does anyone know what kind of ''canvas'' was
        used
        > and what paint (oil based paint??) and how it was applied, installed
        > whatever? Would this kind of treatment stop fir marine plywood from
        checking?
        > Tom on Sandpiper in SW Florida.

        (978) 282-1349

      • cha62759@traverse.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 31, 2004
          Hi Tom, See pages 262-264, Boatbuilding by Howard Chappelle. I bought
          10 ounce white duck for decking. In the end I chickened out. Chappelle
          describes a dry laid method which makes sense, the problem for me was
          in the stretching and fitting of the canvas, at least for my
          application. One caution he makes very strongly, if you use glue sell
          the boat before you have to recanvas because it is easier to redeck
          than to remove canvas that has been glued on. Oil paint is used. Your
          deck might check under the painted canvas but you will not notice it
          probably. I'm not sure why you want canvas but if it's for the
          appearance consider glassing your deck then canvasing it dry. If you
          can't get hold of "Boatbuilding" I can scan the few pages for you.
          Bob Chamberland

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, TOMCBRADY@C... wrote:
          > Hi All,
          > Does anyone ever use canvas in paint for decks and
          particularly cabin
          > tops like was done years ago. I used a canvas covered canoe some
          that was
          > years old with just painted canvas covering and it had held up well
          and was still
          > going. I wondered if it might be a viable substitute for epoxy and
          fiberglass
          > in certain situations. Also, does anyone know what kind of
          ''canvas'' was used
          > and what paint (oil based paint??) and how it was applied, installed
          > whatever? Would this kind of treatment stop fir marine plywood from
          checking?
          > Tom on Sandpiper in SW Florida.

        • craig o'donnell
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 1, 2004
            >Head over to the WoodenBoat forum from http://www.woodenboat.com The guys
            >over there will tell you the right way to do it.
            >
            >JB

            I've covered decks with 2oz glass in latex acrylic porch paint, works fine.
            Lay the cloth in place. Spray the cloth with a mist of water with a couple
            drops (just a couple) of dish detergent added, then paint w/ a stick-down
            coat, works for me. Don't paint the deck and then put cloth on. What a mess.

            Then add another coat or two to fill the weave more. I suspect two thin
            coats work better then one thick coat.

            I leave the texture obvious and have never tried to paint the glass til
            it's smooth. For that I'd use epoxy.
            --
            Craig O'Donnell
            Sinepuxent Ancestors & Boats

            -- Macintosh kinda guy
            Friend of Wanda the Wonder Cat, 1991-1997.
            _________________________________
          • Sam Glasscock
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 1, 2004
              I am building Bolger's motor canoe, which is a
              strip-built boat. I remember Robb White promissing
              (threatening?) that he would write an article for MAIB
              to describe how to modify a plane iron or scraper or
              somthing, to do the milling of the strips without a
              router. I never did see the story that he promised.
              Anyone know if it was ever published, or have other
              ideas on milling the strips? Thanks, Sam