Re: micro modifications

  • Nels
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 30, 2004
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "smithriverranger" <jasonstancil@h...>
      > I notice you gravitate towards the LM, I love it but I believe for
      > me it's a bit more boat than i really need, my garage doors
      could'nt
      > be shut and my subaru would not be happy towing that beautiful
      beast
      > of a bolger box. Then of course there are the added costs and
      > complexities of the construction, trailer and rigging that have
      > shyed me away from the LM.

      Hi Jason,

      My original plan was to build a MICRO and I have the plans. Then
      while enjoying it I had plans for a larger part-time liveaboard like
      AS29 or even FIJI. Then LESTAT came along and when I saw the size I
      realized that a LONG MICRO with a Glass house could be used as a part-
      time liveaboard and still be trailerable. That extra 4 feet amidships
      means that one can still have a pilothouse and a small cockpit, and a
      double bed. Yet you still have the basic simplicity that the MICRO
      series excel at in my view. Cost comparison and complexity, between a
      LM and AS29 or FIJI are not even in the same reality. Then if I
      decide I don't want to live aboard as much as I thought, I don't have
      a huge investment to take a potential hit on.

      LONG MICRO is still a significant step up from MICRO, especially if
      you have a small tow vehicle. I am fortunate to have a full sized
      Chevy van with a turbo diesel that I use as a work van.

      Cheers, Nels