MDO Still

  • TOMCBRADY@CS.COM
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 29, 2004
      Hi All,
      Jason, no I am not building the Silver Gull. I do like the looks but I need
      shallow, shallow draft. I have ordered a set of plans from H.H. Payson for a
      23' version of a St. Pierre dory. It has about a 10''-12'' keel with 400lbs of
      ballast. I am looking at adapting a cat ketch rig to it and a small cabin,
      both from another 22' dory design. So far just contemplating but who knows? It
      might happen. The problem is that when the weather is pretty I want to be
      sailing my Peep Hen.
      Peter, the only reason I was looking at multiple layers of 3/8''
      Crezon and plywood was cost saving. The fact that the interior can be much more
      utilitarian so I can be happy with more of a workboat finish inside than outside.
      I wanted the outside, that is subjected to the water, to be better quality. I
      will probably be using semi-gloss or maybe even flat paint as shown in
      WoodenBoat a couple of months back. I do not have the skill to produce an
      acceptable, let alone perfect, high gloss finish and I know it. The one aspect that I
      really don't like is the gluing of the multiple layers. That causes me some real
      concern about voids.
      Doug, your info on the comparison of the 1/4'' and 3/8'' is definitely
      worth looking into. I don't know if Crezon comes in 1/4'' but I will find out
      and even if it doesn't I know plywood does. Thanks.
      Fair Winds! Tom on Sandpiper in SW Florida.