RE: 'Scaling Up'

  • Ron Magen
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 4, 2004
      Jason,
      I liked the 'Rubens Nymph' just as she was. However, Bolger has made
      some comments to the effect that almost any boat, '. . . could use a
      little more length . . .'. The following was recommended for increasing
      the length of his 'BEE' from 7 to 10 feet.

      Use this methodology to expand just about any small boat with minimal
      detrimental effect on performance. A good rule is to increase the length
      no more that about 20 to 30 percent . . .
      1} note the difference between the 'as drawn' length and 'as
      desired' length to INCHES
      2} DEVIDE that figure by the number of 'stations'
      3} ADD that number to the distance between statuions
      This should give you the desired LOA while keeping the same visual
      relationship and 'fairness' of curve.

      Regards & Good Luck
      Ron Magen
      Backyard Boatshop

      Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 03:24:43 -0000
      From: "smithriverranger" <jasonstancil@...>
      Subject: Re: scaling up a boat?

      I've read about how the volume increases significantly with a slight
      increase in scale, but that's the point the current boat as drawn is
      too small. I'm talking about scaling up an 8' boat to 10'......no
      elephant here.
      Thanks for the input,
      Jason Stancil