Re: scaling up a boat?

  • Peter Lenihan
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 3, 2004
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Don Tyson <tysond99@y...> wrote:
      > so avoid building an elephant?

      yup........especially white ones........:-)

      Peter Lenihan
    • smithriverranger
      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 3, 2004
        I've read about how the volume increases significantly with a slight
        increase in scale, but that's the point the current boat as drawn is
        too small. I'm talking about scaling up an 8' boat to 10'......no
        elephant here.
        Thanks for the input,
        Jason Stancil

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Roger Derby" <derbyrm@s...> wrote:
        > Yes, and no.
        >
        > Note that adding 30% to the linear dimensions doubles the volume.
        Surface
        > area is 70% greater. Stiffness is some high power of the thickness
        (figure
        > the beam's moment of inertia, but that was 50 years ago), so
        scantlings are
        > ????
        >
        > Drop a kitten six feet and he grins, drop an elephant the same
        difference
        > and you have a mess to clean up.
        >
        > Roger
        > derbyrm at starband.net
        > http://derbyrm.mystarband.net

      • Peter Lenihan
        Message 3 of 23 , Mar 3, 2004
          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "smithriverranger" <jasonstancil@h...>
          wrote:
          > I've read about how the volume increases significantly with a
          slight
          > increase in scale, but that's the point the current boat as drawn
          is
          > too small. I'm talking about scaling up an 8' boat to 10'......no
          > elephant here.
          > Thanks for the input,
          > Jason Stancil

          Jason,
          Maybe,just maybe,since you are refering to a very basic shape and
          only wish to add two feet to her length,then you might be able to do
          just that without touching any of the other dimensions.
          This would,of course, require some extra waste in plywood and your
          willingness to"loft" the expanded side panels out to a length needed
          for a 10 foot version.Everything else,like the transom and frames
          would remain pretty much as is.
          Try it out,to the same scale as on the plans, with a model made
          out of some heavy construction paper(cardboard) and see if you like
          the looks ....adjust to taste :-)

          Sincerely,

          Peter Lenihan
        • craig o'donnell
          Message 4 of 23 , Mar 4, 2004
            >I've read about how the volume increases significantly with a slight
            >increase in scale, but that's the point the current boat as drawn is
            >too small. I'm talking about scaling up an 8' boat to 10'......no
            >elephant here.
            >Thanks for the input,
            >Jason Stancil

            Up to 20% is typically OK, just move the stations further apart. Scows are
            a different case as are sharpies and you can "scale up" more. A scow is a
            scow is a scow.
            --
            Craig O'Donnell
            Sinepuxent Ancestors & Boats

            -- Macintosh kinda guy
            Friend of Wanda the Wonder Cat, 1991-1997.
            _________________________________
          • cha62759@traverse.com
            Message 5 of 23 , Mar 4, 2004
              I am building Howard Chappelle's 18' "Camp Skiff". I have lofted the
              major lines and have the molds done and I am now struggling with the
              transom. How does one loft the side panels? or does your note only
              apply to previously expanded panels a la Bolger instant boats?
              Bob Chamberland

              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Lenihan" <lestat@b...> wrote:
              > This would,of course, require some extra waste in plywood and your
              > willingness to"loft" the expanded side panels out to a length needed
              > for a 10 foot version.Everything else,like the transom and frames
              > would remain pretty much as is.

              > Peter Lenihan
            • Peter Lenihan
              Message 6 of 23 , Mar 4, 2004
                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, cha62759@t... wrote:
                > I am building Howard Chappelle's 18' "Camp Skiff". I have lofted the
                > major lines and have the molds done and I am now struggling with the
                > transom. How does one loft the side panels? or does your note only
                > apply to previously expanded panels a la Bolger instant boats?
                > Bob Chamberland

                Hi Bob,
                I was refering only to the "expanded" panels that Bolger
                usually shows for his plywood hulls.
                I'm not familiar with "Camp Skiff" but if it is a Chappelle
                work,does he call for the sides to be out of plywood or just planks?
                The full lofting of side "panels" would involve,if I recall,laying
                out on the loft floor all the stations and base line.Then using the
                information provided in the table of off-sets,for each
                frame/station/mold,you plot out the height of the chine and shear for
                each.Once all your points are down,lay a fairing batten down and
                strike a fair line.The resulting shape should be your"expanded" panel
                shape.
                Of course,if you have already lofted out the half breadths,then
                you do not need to go back to the table of off-sets.Instead just pick
                out the respective heights,for chine and shear,and transfer these to
                their respective station lines layed out previously.
                This will only work for flat,straight-sided,hulls.If the hull
                is round,then you have to figure out the"chain girth" at each
                station,divide this figure by the number of planks you intend on
                using to get the correct shape of each plank so that the finished
                boat does not have all its planks"frowning",ie;with the seams curving
                downward,opposite to the sweep of the shearline.......
                At any rate,I hope I have it right and haven't forgotten some
                critical bit of information.Hopefully,someone who knows better will
                jump in and correct my mistakes :-)

                Sincerely,

                Peter Lenihan
                Message 7 of 23 , Mar 4, 2004
                  --- Peter Lenihan wrote:
                  > If the hull is round,
                  > then you have to figure out the"chain
                  > girth" at each station, divide this figure
                  > by the number of planks you intend on
                  > using to get the correct shape of each plank
                  > so that the finished boat does not have all its
                  > planks"frowning",ie;with> the seams curving
                  > downward,opposite to the sweep of the
                  > shearline.......

                  This 'chain girth' question has always
                  confounded me, trying to figure out how
                  to loft a lapstrake or planked boat.

                  Peter, is it as simple as 'divide by the
                  number of planks'? Because that calculation
                  only gives you the width of each plank at
                  each station. [Not the distance of each edge
                  of the plank from the center line of the plank
                  at each station.]

                  In other words, it doesn't give you the
                  lengthwise curve of the plank, IE, is it
                  curved like a banana, and just how much?
                  Spiling, from one plank to the next,
                  I guess, gives that information.

                  That is unless, and this is where I get
                  confused, it appears that the lengthwise
                  curve of the plank could be 'read' through
                  the lofting of the 'diagonals' in the lofting
                  diagram. But I never figured that out.

                  Lofting the stations, halfbreaths and waterlines
                  makes sense to me, but lofting the diagonals
                  does not!
                • John Bell
                  Message 8 of 23 , Mar 4, 2004
                    Rather than try to explain it, let me suggest you get a copy of Ian
                    Oughtred's excellent book on lap ply construction.

                    > > girth" at each station, divide this figure
                    > > by the number of planks you intend on
                    > > using to get the correct shape of each plank
                    > > so that the finished boat does not have all its
                    > > planks"frowning",ie;with> the seams curving
                    > > downward,opposite to the sweep of the
                    > > shearline.......
                    >
                    > This 'chain girth' question has always
                    > confounded me, trying to figure out how
                    > to loft a lapstrake or planked boat.
                    >
                    > Peter, is it as simple as 'divide by the
                    > number of planks'? Because that calculation
                    > only gives you the width of each plank at
                    > each station. [Not the distance of each edge
                    > of the plank from the center line of the plank
                    > at each station.]
                    >
                    > In other words, it doesn't give you the
                    > lengthwise curve of the plank, IE, is it
                    > curved like a banana, and just how much?
                    > Spiling, from one plank to the next,
                    > I guess, gives that information.
                    >
                    > That is unless, and this is where I get
                    > confused, it appears that the lengthwise
                    > curve of the plank could be 'read' through
                    > the lofting of the 'diagonals' in the lofting
                    > diagram. But I never figured that out.
                    >
                    > Lofting the stations, halfbreaths and waterlines
                    > makes sense to me, but lofting the diagonals
                    > does not!

                    (978) 282-1349
                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • pvanderwaart
                    Message 9 of 23 , Mar 4, 2004
                      My guess is that most boatbuilders will abandon the loftwork as soon
                      as the frames have been fabricated and set up. At that point, it's no
                      longer a matter of what the designer had in mind, and more a matter
                      of what size and shape the frames actually are. In other words, the
                      shape would be taken from the frames, not from the planking. You
                      might try to get your hands on the WoodenBoat article on the building
                      of the Whittholz-designed Downeaster v-bottom powerboat. It shows how
                      to build a non-instant plywood boat about as well as anything.

                      I would set up the frames, rightside up, or upside down, as prefered.
                      To get the shape for the planking, I would take the shape from the
                      frames by making up a plank about 4" wide that is stiff enough and
                      pliable enough to make a fair curve. (e.g. 3/8" ply) It should be
                      long enough to go from stem to stern. Mount it temporarily along the
                      mid-point of the side plank. Then, at each frame, draw a line across
                      the 4" piece showing the angle at which the frame crosses it, and
                      measure the length from some mark to where the edge of the plank
                      needs to fall, both above and below.

                      Then to mark the planking, lay the marked piece on the stock. Extend
                      the lines marking where the frames will cross, and measure to where
                      the edge needs to fall. You can then draw a fair line along the
                      edge. ("Voila!," Peter might say.) I would leave an allowance for
                      find adjustment later.

                      This is basically the way a plank would be spiled for lap or carvel
                      construction. Perhaps you need a book? Chapelle's Boatbuilding or
                      Sewards' Boatbuilding Manual.

                      Peter
                    • David Romasco
                      Message 10 of 23 , Mar 4, 2004
                        Bruce,

                        I, too, languished in ignorance for many years until I was shown the light
                        ("Eureka!") By Richard Cullison, who was teaching a lofting class at the
                        Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum (all three have my enthusiastic
                        recommendations, BTW).

                        The diagonals are arrived at by starting with the half-breadth lines and
                        taking the intersections of the diagonal line with each of the frames and
                        carrying that point over to the profile drawing, where the points are marked
                        on the frame stations. Spring a batten through those points and trace in
                        the line. Hey presto, and you've just drawn a diagonal! This line actually
                        helps define the three-dimensional nature of the lofting process, and you
                        can add as many as you like to further smooth the frames into line. The
                        process, once you get your arms around the function, is the magic that makes
                        lofting work.

                        Larry Pardey talks about adding waterlines and diagonals in his book about
                        traditional building methods (he goes a little overboard, but to be honest,
                        I get a severe case of inferiority neurosis every time I read one of his
                        books...).

                        David Romasco

                        _____

                        > girth" at each station, divide this figure
                        > by the number of planks you intend on
                        > using to get the correct shape of each plank
                        > so that the finished boat does not have all its
                        > planks"frowning",ie;with> the seams curving
                        > downward,opposite to the sweep of the
                        > shearline.......

                        This 'chain girth' question has always
                        confounded me, trying to figure out how
                        to loft a lapstrake or planked boat.

                        Peter, is it as simple as 'divide by the
                        number of planks'? Because that calculation
                        only gives you the width of each plank at
                        each station. [Not the distance of each edge
                        of the plank from the center line of the plank
                        at each station.]

                        In other words, it doesn't give you the
                        lengthwise curve of the plank, IE, is it
                        curved like a banana, and just how much?
                        Spiling, from one plank to the next,
                        I guess, gives that information.

                        That is unless, and this is where I get
                        confused, it appears that the lengthwise
                        curve of the plank could be 'read' through
                        the lofting of the 'diagonals' in the lofting
                        diagram. But I never figured that out.

                        Lofting the stations, halfbreaths and waterlines
                        makes sense to me, but lofting the diagonals
                        does not!

                        Bolger rules!!!
                        (978) 282-1349

                        _____

                        Yahoo! Groups Links

                        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                      • Peter Lenihan
                        Message 11 of 23 , Mar 4, 2004
                          > Peter, is it as simple as 'divide by the
                          > number of planks'? Because that calculation
                          > only gives you the width of each plank at
                          > each station. [Not the distance of each edge
                          > of the plank from the center line of the plank
                          > at each station.]

                          Bruce,with a fairly typical hull shape(narrow and pointy at one
                          end,fat and low in the middle,and slightly narrower and higher at the
                          other end) you will indeed get different widths needed for each
                          plank.These widths need to be transfered onto your planking
                          stock,faired up with a batten,and trimmed to those lines.The look of
                          the plank before offering it up will appear somewhat skinny toward
                          the stern,swelling in the middle and slightly tappering toward the
                          stem.
                          Depending on how much shear is in the hull,alot of adjustment must be
                          done with the garboard plank to ensure you get the planks off on the
                          right foot.
                          You do not have to transfer your chain girth measurements to each and
                          every plank since,one you have established the number of planks you
                          will need(sometimes best determined once you know what size planks
                          are available) and establish the correct shape of your garboard
                          plank, it is just a simple matter of spiling the rest of your planks
                          up to the shear.
                          Some hull shapes,however,will require the use of stealer planks if
                          they have alot of shape to them(the hull,that is) since your plank
                          ends will begin to be tapered so much that they are too narrow to
                          drive a fastening into. Similarly,if you run your planking paralle to
                          the water line,you'll have to "cheat" a bit toward the ends with long
                          slivers of planking stock,just to meet the shear(or else have a very
                          wide shear strake and be prepared to waste a lot of wood).

                          > Lofting the stations, halfbreaths and waterlines
                          > makes sense to me, but lofting the diagonals
                          > does not!

                          Diagonals are beautiful for really tweeking ones lofting as they give
                          you yet another means of cross checking the fairness of your
                          previously laid down lines......very useful right in the turn of the
                          bilge!

                          If only I could remember correctly everything I was taught during a
                          course in lofting so many moons ago:-)

                          Sincerely,

                          Peter Lenihan
                        • Lincoln Ross
                          Message 12 of 23 , Mar 4, 2004
                            Keep in mind that the displacement would go up more than 100%! (Cube of
                            1.3 is about 2.2)
                            Structural calculations probably not simple, tho I suppose you could
                            guesstimate. Panel expansions won't fit on plywood either, so you'll
                            probably use a lot more wood and maybe have more scarphs to do. Are you
                            sure you don't like the larger plans that are already available?
                            Windsprint, Featherwind (is that the name?) , and the Japanese Beach
                            cruiser come to mind, though I'm sure there are others. Bateau.com and
                            Michalak have some pramlike boats in a larger size range, too. But of
                            course, you'd probably be the only one around with an oversized Nymph.
                            I've seen an article somewhere by Bolger where he considers (and
                            rejects) a little cruiser based on a scale up of the Nymph.

                            >Jason Stancil wrote:
                            >Trying to get a grasp of how to exactly scale up a boat from
                            >existing plans.
                            >Say for a 30% enlargement would i just multiply everything by 1.3
                            >including the 12 inches between station lines?
                            >Been thinking of scaling up a nymph or a elegant punt if i don't
                            >build an oldshoe. I know i would need to beef up the framing a bit
                            >but that seems easy enough.
                            >Bought a really neat little contractor's calculator that does math
                            >in feet, inches, quarters, eights, sixteenths and
                            >thirtyseconds....it just got me thinking.
                            >Thanks, Jason Stancil
                            >

                            >___________________________________

                          • smithriverranger
                            Message 13 of 23 , Mar 4, 2004
                              > I've seen an article somewhere by Bolger where he considers (and
                              > rejects) a little cruiser based on a scale up of the Nymph.

                              You're on to me i'm thinking about making a nymph micro cruiser. Can
                              you remember where you saw that bolger article or how i can get my
                              hands on it? More importantly do you remember why bolger rejected
                              the idea? I know i could just build a micro or old shoe, but i like
                              screwing around withthings a working with minimal amount of
                              directions....assuming i don't compromise safety or totally screw up
                              why the design originally worked in the first place.

                              > Structural calculations probably not simple, tho I suppose you
                              could guesstimate. Panel expansions won't fit on plywood either, so
                              you'll probably use a lot more wood and maybe have more scarphs to
                              do.

                              I'm in no hurry I just enjoy straining my brain on this kind of
                              stuff.....notice i'm not attempting anything "large"

                              Are you sure you don't like the larger plans that are already
                              available? Windsprint, Featherwind (is that the name?), and the
                              Japanese Beach cruiser come to mind, though I'm sure there are
                              others.

                              I like dory and pram hulls.....i've built a michalak boat and they
                              are well done but....for the most part i find them UGLY, but that's
                              me. What is the Japanese Beach Cruiser?

                              > course, you'd probably be the only one around with an oversized
                              Nymph.

                              Exactly!...just hope it'll float :)

                              Thanks for any info on that article,
                              Jason Stancil
                            • pvanderwaart
                              Message 14 of 23 , Mar 4, 2004
                                > Can
                                > you remember where you saw that bolger article or how i can get my
                                > hands on it? More importantly do you remember why bolger rejected
                                > the idea?

                                It was in MAIB. As I remember, he felt the design got too fussy, and
                                the cuddy was not big enough for the intended use.

                                Peter
                              • cha62759@traverse.com
                                Message 15 of 23 , Mar 4, 2004
                                  My reading of the discussion is that you do not "loft" side panels. I
                                  understand the spiling process but was hoping perhaps that the
                                  accumulated knowledge of this board could tell me how to draw and cut
                                  out one panel from information gained through lofting. I assume that
                                  Mr Bolger uses the computer to arrive at his panel extensions.

                                  The Chappelle camp skiff is a hard chine sharpy stink boat. Think
                                  "Redwing" which is derived from Mr Chappelle's design.

                                  The next question is, what computer program? Is there a relatively
                                  simple program which can take the lofted information and produce the
                                  panel extension?

                                  My last experience with this sort of problem led me to nailing a 4'x
                                  24" panel to the building molds and cutting to fit. This was a
                                  decidedly dicey proposition single handed.

                                  Bob Chamberland
                                • cha62759@traverse.com
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Mar 4, 2004
                                    Hi Peter,
                                    This process doesn't result in the "expanded" panels" but rather in
                                    the "elevation" of the hull. It does not represent the curvature of
                                    the hull fore and aft.
                                    Bob Chamberland

                                    --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Lenihan" <lestat@b...> wrote:
                                    > Hi Bob,
                                    > I was refering only to the "expanded" panels that Bolger
                                    > usually shows for his plywood hulls.
                                    > I'm not familiar with "Camp Skiff" but if it is a Chappelle
                                    > work,does he call for the sides to be out of plywood or just planks?
                                    > The full lofting of side "panels" would involve,if I recall,laying
                                    > out on the loft floor all the stations and base line.Then using the
                                    > information provided in the table of off-sets,for each
                                    > frame/station/mold,you plot out the height of the chine and shear for
                                    > each.Once all your points are down,lay a fairing batten down and
                                    > strike a fair line.The resulting shape should be your"expanded" panel
                                    > shape.
                                    > Of course,if you have already lofted out the half breadths,then
                                    > you do not need to go back to the table of off-sets.Instead just pick
                                    > out the respective heights,for chine and shear,and transfer these to
                                    > their respective station lines layed out previously.
                                    > This will only work for flat,straight-sided,hulls.
                                  • Roger Derby
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Mar 4, 2004
                                      For that sort of boat, Greg Carlson's "Chine Hull Designer" works very well.
                                      It's free and it generates the panel's expanded shapes.
                                      http://www.carlsondesign.com/#Fun_Shareware

                                      It took me some thrashing around to figure out that there are no
                                      user-friendly error messages and that when the help files say six chines
                                      maximum, it means six chines maximum. (I was plotting out the lapstrakes
                                      for Chebacco and that wants seven "chines." I'm happy enough with the
                                      results I got by putting the hull in twice, once with a very broad sheer
                                      strake and once with a very broad garboard strake.)

                                      I decided that it wouldn't run on Win2K, but that was before I realized the
                                      six strake limit, so maybe it will. It works well on Win98SE which my other
                                      two computers use.

                                      It yields files which are ASCII text and can be input to other graphic
                                      programs or printed out and drawn by hand on the plywood. It allows you to
                                      specify the size of your plywood panels and shove the strakes around for
                                      efficient nesting. It also prints out pictures of the pieces.

                                      Roger
                                      derbyrm at starband.net
                                      http://derbyrm.mystarband.net

                                      > The Chappelle camp skiff is a hard chine sharpy stink boat. Think
                                      > "Redwing" which is derived from Mr Chappelle's design.
                                      >
                                      > The next question is, what computer program? Is there a relatively
                                      > simple program which can take the lofted information and produce the
                                      > panel extension?
                                    • Mark
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Mar 4, 2004
                                        Right. Not lofted but _expanded_ . Bolger doesn't need a computer for it, either. You can
                                        use the method described in Chappelle's 'Boat Building' or get Greg Carlson's free Chine
                                        Hull Designer program.
                                        http://www.carlsondesign.com/hulls.zip

                                        Another option, unless you are really interested in design work, is to send $65 to Karl
                                        Stambaugh for a thoroughly worked out version.
                                        Mark

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Mar 5, 2004
                                          Fundamentally, the way you determine the
                                          shape of flat plywood, which will
                                          curve correctly to fit the boat is to
                                          break down the surface shape into
                                          triangles. I think that Sam Rabl first
                                          described this. See also:

                                          Jim Mickalak's article at =>

                                          http://marina.fortunecity.com/breakwater/274/2000/0101/

                                          If you dust off your memory of high school
                                          trigonometry, you can also do it relatively
                                          quickly using a spreadsheet.

                                          In essence, you know the shape of each quadrahedron
                                          with four corners being:
                                          station 1 chine,
                                          station 1 sheerline,
                                          station 2 chine,
                                          station 2 shearline.

                                          Connect corners diagonally to break it into triangles.
                                          Repeat....

                                          These triangles can then be 'unfolded' into a flat
                                          shape.
                                        • Lincoln Ross
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Mar 5, 2004
                                            See below:

                                            >Jason Stancil wrote:
                                            >snip
                                            >You're on to me i'm thinking about making a nymph micro cruiser. Can
                                            >you remember where you saw that bolger article or how i can get my
                                            >hands on it?

                                            Probably MAIB (Messing Around in Boats, and I'm sure a bit of web
                                            surfing will find the contact info), which I believe sells back issues.
                                            I bet if you snail mail MAIB they can tell you which issue. Or there may
                                            be indexes on line someplace.

                                            >More importantly do you remember why bolger rejected
                                            >the idea?

                                            I don't remember exactly. I seem to recall it might be ok but a boat
                                            designed for that size would be better.

                                            >I know i could just build a micro or old shoe, but i like
                                            >screwing around withthings a working with minimal amount of
                                            >directions....assuming i don't compromise safety or totally screw up
                                            >why the design originally worked in the first place.
                                            >

                                            > snip
                                            >
                                            >I like dory and pram hulls.....i've built a michalak boat and they
                                            >are well done but....for the most part i find them UGLY, but that's
                                            >me. What is the Japanese Beach Cruiser?

                                            Japanese Beach Cruiser is in Boats with an Open Mind. Quite pretty, and
                                            it's a pram. Maybe too many chines. I think about 12 feet long, as I
                                            recall. And I think Bolger has some other boats of that sort which might
                                            be worth looking into. Isn't there something called the Supermouse?
                                            (also a pram). One of the boats at bateau.com is a big pram, and not
                                            ugly, IMHO. It's not just you, a lot of Michalak boats are funny looking.