Re: [bolger] Re: Light Schooner/scooner?

  • fountainb@switch.aust.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 2, 2004
      Bruce Hallman wrote:
      > I have been dreaming of the
      > Folding Schooner as a 'next'
      > project, I wonder if the
      > performance is along the same
      > order of magnitude as Light
      > Schooner?

      I am not sure I get the folding scooner. The light scooner, while
      very long, is also light and shallow and I wouldn't have thought
      it would be too much of a bear to trailer or launch. Folding and
      unfolding the FS sounds like a bit of a trial however.

      Paul Day chose the FS because he has to take it bush bashing
      to reach the only navigable water in Kalgoorlie, but for most of
      us I would think the LS would be a lot easier.

      Perhaps it is just the entertainment value of a boat that folds in half?

      Bruce Fountain
      Senior Software Engineer
      Union Switch & Signal
      Perth, Western Australia
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 3, 2004
        --- fountainb wrote:
        > I am not sure I get the folding scooner.
        > Perhaps it is just the entertainment value
        > of a boat that folds in half?

        Yes, of course! I get a similar kick
        explaining to perplexed bystanders the
        holes cut in the bow transom of my Micro.

        Also, I have room to store a Folding
        Schooner on my driveway, but a Light
        Schooner would not fit.

        From what I have read, the Folding
        Schooner seems a bit less likely
        to capsize than a Light Schooner.

        Also, I am figuring, the Folding Schooner
        would make a better 'camping platform'
        than a Light Schooner.
      • pauldayau
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 8, 2004
          > > Perhaps it is just the entertainment value
          > > of a boat that folds in half?
          > lots of fun when the chainblock jams up on the boat ramp. lots of
          people who were almost impressed until it happened1

          > Also, I am figuring, the Folding Schooner
          > would make a better 'camping platform'
          > than a Light Schooner.
          too right! we even camp in itin the driveway at home.
          cheers paul