Re: Light Schooner/scooner?

  • ghartc
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 1, 2004
      Chris,

      Good question...I *think* I get about 5 or 6 knots under 2 hp
      horsepower (it's been awhile). I think it would row well, too.

      Yes, I think it would make a great camp cruiser. I don't know why
      you'd leave the masts behind, though, seems like an easily reefed rig
      might be a better solution for shorthanding. In fact, it sails well
      under jib and reefed main (or swap main with the smaller foresail?).

      Without your rigs - how are you going to set those slick boom tents?
      I have anchor lights on both masts - you gotta have that!

      Gregg

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Stewart" <stewtone@m...> wrote:
      > Does the 2 hp motor push her anywhere close to hull speed? I don't
      > have (and realistically, probably don't want) a good-sized crew,
      but
      > a light schooner with a tent or very light cuddy, and no spars,
      > strikes me as an interesting minimalist power sharpie camp cruiser.
      > What do you think?
      >
      > Chris Stewart
    • Chris Stewart
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 1, 2004
        Gregg,

        Wasn't thinking of leaving them behind, just not making them in the
        first place. Tent would use replacement poles from small dome tent
        and anchor light would be powerboat 360 degree stern light on tall
        (54") pole.

        From what everyone says about the sailing qualities of the light
        schooner, however, the main reason for not building one as a power
        sharpie is "what a shame."

        Oh, well, lots more pondering even before getting to planning stage.
        Thanks for your response.

        Chris Stewart

      • fountainb@switch.aust.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 2, 2004
          Bruce Hallman wrote:
          > I have been dreaming of the
          > Folding Schooner as a 'next'
          > project, I wonder if the
          > performance is along the same
          > order of magnitude as Light
          > Schooner?

          I am not sure I get the folding scooner. The light scooner, while
          very long, is also light and shallow and I wouldn't have thought
          it would be too much of a bear to trailer or launch. Folding and
          unfolding the FS sounds like a bit of a trial however.

          Paul Day chose the FS because he has to take it bush bashing
          to reach the only navigable water in Kalgoorlie, but for most of
          us I would think the LS would be a lot easier.

          Perhaps it is just the entertainment value of a boat that folds in half?

          Bruce Fountain
          Senior Software Engineer
          Union Switch & Signal
          Perth, Western Australia
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 3, 2004
            --- fountainb wrote:
            > I am not sure I get the folding scooner.
            > Perhaps it is just the entertainment value
            > of a boat that folds in half?

            Yes, of course! I get a similar kick
            explaining to perplexed bystanders the
            holes cut in the bow transom of my Micro.

            Also, I have room to store a Folding
            Schooner on my driveway, but a Light
            Schooner would not fit.

            From what I have read, the Folding
            Schooner seems a bit less likely
            to capsize than a Light Schooner.

            Also, I am figuring, the Folding Schooner
            would make a better 'camping platform'
            than a Light Schooner.
          • pauldayau
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 8, 2004
              > > Perhaps it is just the entertainment value
              > > of a boat that folds in half?
              > lots of fun when the chainblock jams up on the boat ramp. lots of
              people who were almost impressed until it happened1

              > Also, I am figuring, the Folding Schooner
              > would make a better 'camping platform'
              > than a Light Schooner.
              too right! we even camp in itin the driveway at home.
              cheers paul