Fixing is nearly as fun as building

  • David Ryan
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2004
      FBBB,

      I don't know if I had mentioned it, but a big wind storm late last
      year picked up my Light Scooner and threw it across the yard, doing
      considerable damage to the sprit/mast partner, forward mast step, and
      bursting a hole in the topsides. With no place to get the boat
      inside, it's been sitting where it landed looking broken and sad.

      Finally it's been warm enough to work outside without feeling like
      you're under assault. I chiseled out the damaged portion of the
      mast-step, routered out the damaged portion of the topsides, scribed
      and cut a replacement section, measured a backing board, mixed a
      batch of epoxy glue, mushed it all together (held in place with the
      jack from my Volvo!), stuck a hair drier inside the forward
      compartment to promote curing, and then wrapped the whole thing in a
      sleeping bag to keep in the heat.

      Viola! it worked. The epoxy is still a little soft (only had slow
      hardener on hand) but it's well on it's way. A little sanding and
      painting and the topsides will be as good as new. The mast step is an
      easy fix, and the sprit should be nothing more than jamming the split
      with glue and clamping it.

      More importantly, it's reminded me how satisfying working on my boats
      is. We joke about boat building's therapeutic aspects being the
      hidden value in an otherwise difficult to justify financial equation.
      I'm at the point I don't think it's a joke. It makes me feel that
      good.

      YIBB,

      David
      --

      C.E.P.
      415 W.46th Street
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 2, 2004
        I'm glad you like working with epoxy and wood because we are all in
        great anticipation of the I60. - Peter