Re: [bolger] Bow fillets [was 23' Diesel Cruiser.]

  • Don Tyson
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 1, 2004
      So then on a flat bottom like the original sneakeasy it will slap with no mercy? Could one just raise the chines up on the stem a little to present a vee while anchred?
      Don

      sctree <sctree@...> wrote:
      The box cutwater itself (at least as on Microtrawler) doesn't cause any
      slap, it's the sponsons, the upper hull of a Bolger power step sharpie
      that catch the ripples and thump... Sneakeasy box cutwater version
      would be the same. It was AS-29 owners that first wanted a bow
      modification to stop slapping at anchor, enter the fillet pieces.
      Somewhere I saw Bolger drawings, and maybe photos. Then there was a
      Micro with fillets added, Oink if I recall correctly. Not sure if that
      was owner or Bolger designed... W.D. Jochems takes a different bow
      treatment, a cutwater that runs down the stem and under the hull a ways
      to split the water and reduce, but not eliminate the slap. Topaz has
      fillets, but I believe designed in from the beginning... Then there is
      Windermere. If my reading of Windermere is right her fillets will
      totally eliminate slap, plus as Peter has so elegantly stated the rivers
      and oceans will flow so smoothly under her bottom.

      Corrections to the above welcome...

      Rick

      Peter Lenihan wrote:

      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Don Tyson wrote:
      > > So Peter, the piece your calling the fillet is the piece missing on
      > a slapping box-cutwater version of the sneakeasy?
      > > Don
      >

      > It would appear so,Don........that is, unless Bolger really had
      > another brainwave up his sleave :-)
      >
      > Peter Lenihan

      Bolger rules!!!
      Yahoo! Groups Links

    • David Romasco
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 1, 2004
        Have the fat guy sit on one side. Seriously, if you look at the PCB layout
        on many of the sharpies, they always seem a bit asymmetric to me, until it
        hit me: PCB is heeling the at-rest hull! Well, that COULD be the
        reason.....

        David Romasco

        _____

        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 1, 2004
          Actually they don't slap as much as you might think. The bow rises just
          enough to clear the waterline but no higher. This stops a lot of the wave
          from entering under the hull. Bolger comments that putting a cutwater on
          the Wyoming would just make for miserable sleeping.

          Jeff

          > So then on a flat bottom like the original sneakeasy it will slap with no
          mercy? Could one just raise the chines up on the stem a little to present a
          vee while anchred?
          > Don
          >

          > sctree <sctree@...> wrote:
          > The box cutwater itself (at least as on Microtrawler) doesn't cause any
          > slap, it's the sponsons, the upper hull of a Bolger power step sharpie
          > that catch the ripples and thump... Sneakeasy box cutwater version
          > would be the same. It was AS-29 owners that first wanted a bow
          > modification to stop slapping at anchor, enter the fillet pieces.
          > Somewhere I saw Bolger drawings, and maybe photos. Then there was a
          > Micro with fillets added, Oink if I recall correctly. Not sure if that
          > was owner or Bolger designed... W.D. Jochems takes a different bow
          > treatment, a cutwater that runs down the stem and under the hull a ways
          > to split the water and reduce, but not eliminate the slap. Topaz has
          > fillets, but I believe designed in from the beginning... Then there is
          > Windermere. If my reading of Windermere is right her fillets will
          > totally eliminate slap, plus as Peter has so elegantly stated the rivers
          > and oceans will flow so smoothly under her bottom.
          >
          > Corrections to the above welcome...
          >
          > Rick
          >

          > Peter Lenihan wrote:
          >
          > > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Don Tyson wrote:
          > > > So Peter, the piece your calling the fillet is the piece missing on
          > > a slapping box-cutwater version of the sneakeasy?
          > > > Don
          > >

          > > It would appear so,Don........that is, unless Bolger really had
          > > another brainwave up his sleave :-)
          > >
          > > Peter Lenihan

          (978) 282-1349
          > Yahoo! Groups Links