23' Diesel Cruiser.

  • Langmuir
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 26, 2004
      Greetings all,
      I am considering building a version of Bolgers 23' Diesel Cruiser, design no.574.
      If you have experience building or running this vessel I would be grateful for your comments.
      Please contact me via the list or directly on llangmuir@...

      Regards, Gavin Langmuir.

    • Don Tyson
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 26, 2004
        Gavin,
        I'm thinking of building tennessee or Idaho or minnesota but also like diesel cruiser, that is if it is the one I'm thinking of in BWaOM.
        I was hoping that some of the regulars of this site might tell me how they would add standing headroom to one or another of these designs but they instead tried to talk me into more practical designs like topaz and champlain and windmere. Be careful with the advice you get here. You might end up builing a canoe or something.

        Langmuir <llangmuir@...> wrote:
        Greetings all,
        I am considering building a version of Bolgers 23' Diesel Cruiser, design no.574.
        If you have experience building or running this vessel I would be grateful for your comments.
        Please contact me via the list or directly on llangmuir@...

        Regards, Gavin Langmuir.

        Bolger rules!!!
        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Peter Lenihan
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 26, 2004
          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Langmuir" <llangmuir@v...> wrote:
          > Greetings all,
          > I am considering building a version of Bolgers 23' Diesel Cruiser,
          design no.574.
          > If you have experience building or running this vessel I would be
          grateful for your comments.
          > Please contact me via the list or directly on llangmuir@v...
          >
          > Regards, Gavin Langmuir.

          Gavin,
          As far as I can tell from the book,there may only be one which
          has been built and that by Warren who commissioned the design.
          She is a handsome cruiser,with 6'5" headroom where it is most
          useful(galley,helm),plywood construction throughout,economical diesel
          power and the possiblity to tow the boat.
          Bolger does state that being able to fully loft the boat first
          is needed with this design,especially forward for the bilge panels.If
          this is not something you are comfortable with,perhaps you could find
          someone close by who does know how to loft.
          Don't let the possiblity of being the second builder of this
          robust cruiser deter you from actually building one:-)

          Sincerely,

          Peter Lenihan
        • Frank Bales
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 27, 2004
            Any photos anywhere of this boat? I've never heard of this design. --Frank
          • Peter Lenihan
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 27, 2004
              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Bales" <fbales@l...> wrote:
              > Any photos anywhere of this boat? I've never heard of this
              design. --Frank

              Frank,
              If you haven't already,then you just gotta get yourself a copy
              of Boats With An Open Mind.This is where you'll find Bolgers write
              up on her along with reduced plans.

              Sincerely,

              Peter Lenihan
            • Don Tyson
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 28, 2004
                Peter and others,
                When I read about the sharpie designs slapping at anchor in BWAOM Bolger says that its even worse with the step hull upgrade and that he had an idea on how to fix it. Anyone chance a guess on how?
                I went to the NJ boat show today and was surprised how few factory boats are comfy.

                Don

                Peter Lenihan <lestat@...> wrote:
                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Bales" wrote:
                > Any photos anywhere of this boat? I've never heard of this
                design. --Frank

                Frank,
                If you haven't already,then you just gotta get yourself a copy
                of Boats With An Open Mind.This is where you'll find Bolgers write
                up on her along with reduced plans.

                Sincerely,

                Peter Lenihan

                Bolger rules!!!
                Yahoo! Groups Links

              • dbaldnz
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 28, 2004
                  I imagine the bow modifications you mention would be the filletted
                  bow, which you can see in Peter's file.
                  Don't forget that the flat backside of a sharpie will also slap at anchor.
                  I have not read this thread, but the 23ft cruiser looks a very able boat.
                  DonB
                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Don Tyson <tysond99@y...> wrote:
                  > Peter and others,
                  > When I read about the sharpie designs slapping at anchor in BWAOM
                  Bolger says that its even worse with the step hull upgrade and that he
                  had an idea on how to fix it. Anyone chance a guess on how?
                  > I went to the NJ boat show today and was surprised how few factory
                  boats are comfy.

                  > Don
                  >
                  > Peter Lenihan <lestat@b...> wrote:
                  > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Bales" wrote:
                  > > Any photos anywhere of this boat? I've never heard of this
                  > design. --Frank
                  >
                  > Frank,
                  > If you haven't already,then you just gotta get yourself a copy
                  > of Boats With An Open Mind.This is where you'll find Bolgers write
                  > up on her along with reduced plans.
                  >
                  > Sincerely,
                  >
                  > Peter Lenihan

                  Fax: (978) 282-1349
                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Peter Lenihan
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 29, 2004
                    --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Don Tyson <tysond99@y...> wrote:
                    > Peter and others,
                    > When I read about the sharpie designs slapping at anchor in BWAOM
                    Bolger says that its even worse with the step hull upgrade and that
                    he had an idea on how to fix it. Anyone chance a guess on how?
                    > I went to the NJ boat show today and was surprised how few factory
                    boats are comfy.

                    > Don

                    Don,
                    I'm not sure this is what Bolger had in mind at the time but if
                    you go here:

                    and then to the file named WINDERMERE and rifle around abit, you'll
                    see his idea,in living colour, for a fillet piece which should make"
                    slapping" a task best practiced in the master stateroom of his newer
                    sharpie hulls :-)

                    Sincerely,

                    Peter Lenihan,Windermere builder and old school slapper :-)
                  • Don Tyson
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 29, 2004
                      So Peter, the piece your calling the fillet is the piece missing on a slapping box-cutwater version of the sneakeasy?
                      Don

                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 29, 2004
                        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Don Tyson <tysond99@y...> wrote:
                        > So Peter, the piece your calling the fillet is the piece missing on
                        a slapping box-cutwater version of the sneakeasy?
                        > Don

                        It would appear so,Don........that is, unless Bolger really had
                        another brainwave up his sleave :-)

                        Peter Lenihan
                      • Don Tyson
                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 29, 2004
                          >It would appear so,Don........that is, unless Bolger really had
                          another brainwave up his sleave :-)

                          Well certainly Sneakeasy does not have this fillet. I am going through all the mental contortions of trying to decide how to make Tennessee work for me. I would like to flatten the run (Seth) and add the box cutwater and cockpit roof. By the time I figure it all out it will probly resemble the original since Bolger knew why he did what he did and I'm just guessing.

                          Don

                          Bolger rules!!!
                          Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • sctree
                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 29, 2004
                            The box cutwater itself (at least as on Microtrawler) doesn't cause any
                            slap, it's the sponsons, the upper hull of a Bolger power step sharpie
                            that catch the ripples and thump... Sneakeasy box cutwater version
                            would be the same. It was AS-29 owners that first wanted a bow
                            modification to stop slapping at anchor, enter the fillet pieces.
                            Somewhere I saw Bolger drawings, and maybe photos. Then there was a
                            Micro with fillets added, Oink if I recall correctly. Not sure if that
                            was owner or Bolger designed... W.D. Jochems takes a different bow
                            treatment, a cutwater that runs down the stem and under the hull a ways
                            to split the water and reduce, but not eliminate the slap. Topaz has
                            fillets, but I believe designed in from the beginning... Then there is
                            Windermere. If my reading of Windermere is right her fillets will
                            totally eliminate slap, plus as Peter has so elegantly stated the rivers
                            and oceans will flow so smoothly under her bottom.

                            Corrections to the above welcome...

                            Rick

                            Peter Lenihan wrote:

                            > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Don Tyson <tysond99@y...> wrote:
                            > > So Peter, the piece your calling the fillet is the piece missing on
                            > a slapping box-cutwater version of the sneakeasy?
                            > > Don
                            >

                            > It would appear so,Don........that is, unless Bolger really had
                            > another brainwave up his sleave :-)
                            >
                            > Peter Lenihan

                          • Don Tyson
                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 1, 2004
                              So then on a flat bottom like the original sneakeasy it will slap with no mercy? Could one just raise the chines up on the stem a little to present a vee while anchred?
                              Don

                              Peter Lenihan wrote:

                              > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Don Tyson wrote:
                              > > So Peter, the piece your calling the fillet is the piece missing on
                              > a slapping box-cutwater version of the sneakeasy?
                              > > Don
                              >

                              > It would appear so,Don........that is, unless Bolger really had
                              > another brainwave up his sleave :-)
                              >
                              > Peter Lenihan

                              Bolger rules!!!
                              Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • David Romasco
                              Message 14 of 15 , Mar 1, 2004
                                Have the fat guy sit on one side. Seriously, if you look at the PCB layout
                                on many of the sharpies, they always seem a bit asymmetric to me, until it
                                hit me: PCB is heeling the at-rest hull! Well, that COULD be the
                                reason.....

                                David Romasco

                                _____

                                Message 15 of 15 , Mar 1, 2004
                                  Actually they don't slap as much as you might think. The bow rises just
                                  enough to clear the waterline but no higher. This stops a lot of the wave
                                  from entering under the hull. Bolger comments that putting a cutwater on
                                  the Wyoming would just make for miserable sleeping.

                                  Jeff

                                  > So then on a flat bottom like the original sneakeasy it will slap with no
                                  mercy? Could one just raise the chines up on the stem a little to present a
                                  vee while anchred?
                                  > Don
                                  >

                                  > sctree <sctree@...> wrote:
                                  > The box cutwater itself (at least as on Microtrawler) doesn't cause any
                                  > slap, it's the sponsons, the upper hull of a Bolger power step sharpie
                                  > that catch the ripples and thump... Sneakeasy box cutwater version
                                  > would be the same. It was AS-29 owners that first wanted a bow
                                  > modification to stop slapping at anchor, enter the fillet pieces.
                                  > Somewhere I saw Bolger drawings, and maybe photos. Then there was a
                                  > Micro with fillets added, Oink if I recall correctly. Not sure if that
                                  > was owner or Bolger designed... W.D. Jochems takes a different bow
                                  > treatment, a cutwater that runs down the stem and under the hull a ways
                                  > to split the water and reduce, but not eliminate the slap. Topaz has
                                  > fillets, but I believe designed in from the beginning... Then there is
                                  > Windermere. If my reading of Windermere is right her fillets will
                                  > totally eliminate slap, plus as Peter has so elegantly stated the rivers
                                  > and oceans will flow so smoothly under her bottom.
                                  >
                                  > Corrections to the above welcome...
                                  >
                                  > Rick
                                  >

                                  > Peter Lenihan wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Don Tyson wrote:
                                  > > > So Peter, the piece your calling the fillet is the piece missing on
                                  > > a slapping box-cutwater version of the sneakeasy?
                                  > > > Don
                                  > >

                                  > > It would appear so,Don........that is, unless Bolger really had
                                  > > another brainwave up his sleave :-)
                                  > >
                                  > > Peter Lenihan

                                  (978) 282-1349
                                  > Yahoo! Groups Links