Interesting engine

  • Peter Lenihan
    Message 1 of 24 , Feb 26, 2004
      Bolgerados,
      Here is a link to a rather interesting means of generating
      ones own electricity and heat.Might be good to have on some of the
      larger live-a-board Bolger designs.

      http://www.whispergen.com/index.html

      Peter Lenihan
    • Bruce Hector
      Message 2 of 24 , Feb 26, 2004
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Lenihan" <lestat@b...> wrote:
        http://www.whispergen.com/index.html

        Looks very interesting Peter,

        Any idea what 750 watts @ 24 DC volts would mean after it went through
        an inverter to AC power? Likw, will this sucker run an air condioner,
        waher and dryer, etc. or just some lights and a TV?

        Bruce Hector
        Slowly being drawn into the world of viking longships. Will need 14
        strong backs to go for a row!
        Just call be Brukvaar the Berserker!
        Did the vikings have beer in 900 AD?
      • Maximo Pieretti
        Message 3 of 24 , Feb 26, 2004
          > Any idea what 750 watts @ 24 DC volts would mean after it went through
          > an inverter to AC power? Likw, will this sucker run an air condioner,
          > waher and dryer, etc. or just some lights and a TV?

          I don t think you could be able to connect an inverter directly. Too risky.
          So the time your inverter would work, depends on the amperes capacity of
          your 12v or 24v battery pack.
        • Roger Derby
          Message 4 of 24 , Feb 26, 2004
            Watts is watts is power, independent of the voltage. Any inverter is going
            to lose 10 to 20% of the available power. Are there any air conditioners
            that draw less than 700 watts?

            I'd be really surprised to discover washers and dryers that use less (other
            than the kind you marry).

            Roger
            derbyrm at starband.net
            http://derbyrm.mystarband.net

            > an inverter to AC power? Likw, will this sucker run an air condioner,
            > washer and dryer, etc. or just some lights and a TV?
          • Jim
            Message 5 of 24 , Feb 26, 2004
              They had mead, I think. A fermented honey drink. No beer.

              Jim

              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Hector" <bruce_hector@h...> wrote:

              > Slowly being drawn into the world of viking longships. Will need 14
              > strong backs to go for a row!
              > Just call be Brukvaar the Berserker!
              > Did the vikings have beer in 900 AD?
            • john henry
              Message 6 of 24 , Feb 26, 2004
                Bruce Hector <bruce_hector@...> wrote:
                Did the vikings have beer in 900 AD?

                Bruce--
                Beer is the reason why the Vikings built boats to begin with--to get to the parties! Where's the fun being stuck up some lonely fiord when you could be over raiding some Englishman's lager? Of course over the years the parties got a little out of control--a few villages burned down--a few (thousand) peasants murdered--the Vikings proving to be mean drunks and all. But hey! What's a little mayhem among friends? It probably safe to say the the Vikings were the original Bolgeristas!

                Too--think about this: boats, beer. Boats, lager. Bo---L-ger. Bo-l-ger. Bolger. Coincidence? I think not.

                OK--I'll go away now.
                John

                Message 7 of 24 , Feb 26, 2004
                  >They had mead, I think. A fermented honey drink.>

                  .. and if you knew how it was made and under what conditions, there'd be no wondering why they had them thar "berserkers" !

                • Bruce Hector
                  Message 8 of 24 , Feb 26, 2004
                    Arrgggghhhhh! Said with a Norse accent of course!

                    They had wine, beer and mead. They loved to drink, a situation not
                    totally unknown to the contemporary boatbuilder and they invented the
                    original moaning bench hewn from a decently sized log and propped up
                    near the fire.

                    Distilled spirits were not discovered yet, or if so, were unknown in
                    the heathen north. It's debatable whether or not the Benedictine monks
                    were makeing Benedictine or not then.

                    They ate meat! Beef, mutton, pork, sausage, fowl, venison, fish of all
                    kind, including of course herring. Smoked, baked, stuffed, pickled,
                    poached, and of course raw (wiking sushi?).

                    They ate veggies: all the cabbage family, turnip, carrots, greens,
                    onions, and green beans. Of course potatoes, peppers and tomatoes were
                    unknown.

                    Bread and cereals: Wheat and buckwheatd, spelt, quinoa, oats. For
                    breads and porridges (gruels ands slops) actually best chucked in the
                    ale kegs.

                    And they had deserts and fruits: apples, cherries, berries, honey,
                    rhubarb led to bread puddings and preserves.

                    But best of all, they were the original pirates. Their motto, "If you
                    can take it, you deserve it!"

                    And they knew what to do with a boat building innovation gone terribly
                    wrong, they burned it!

                    Thooorrrrrrr! Wooottaaaaaaaaannnnnnn!

                    Brukvaar the Beserker
                    Thankful that our hero has designed a plywood Long Ship for modern
                    epoxy slooping viking wannabee's to build. Anyone think a 9.9 in a
                    well opposite the steering oar would be a bad idea. Perhaps hidden
                    under a chief's oak chest that folds aside for use. And maybe a
                    pseudo-thatched wattle and twig A frame at the bow to conceal the
                    obligatory head?
                    Are there 14 berserker trainees hereabouts wanting a wee pull on a 40
                    foot Viking ship?
                  • Bruce Hector
                    Message 9 of 24 , Feb 26, 2004
                      No doubt this all helped the boat building, as it does now.
                      All below is lifted off a viking site:

                      "Abusive beer drinking notwithstanding, beer remained the chief
                      component in all ancient Egyptian medicine and appears to have done
                      far more good than bad to these people of the Nile valley.

                      From the eighth through the tenth centuries A.D., Vikings spread
                      terror throughout the civilized world. In a state of ale-induced
                      "berserk" they raped, burned and pillaged their way through North
                      Africa, Holland, England, Ireland, Wales, France, Germany, and Italy.
                      Viking brew was called AUL and from this word comes our English term
                      ALE; a beer style that spread wherever the Norsemen conquered new
                      lands. Viking women were the exclusive brewers in Norse society and
                      law dictated that all brewhouse equipment remained the property of
                      women only.

                      As to the creation of beer, Norse myth offered the following
                      explanation. The gods were at war with a human tribe called the Vans;
                      after much killing, a peace conference was arranged and a treaty was
                      sealed by members of both sides spitting into a jar. To preserve the
                      occasion, the gods shaped the saliva and some dust into a living man
                      named Kvaser. Kvaser was soon murdered by a race of dwarfs, his blood
                      being collected in an iron kettle. The enterprising dwarfs added honey
                      to the grue and the whole mess became ale.

                      Norse paradise, called Valhalla, was no less than a giant ale house
                      having 540 doors where the Viking god Woden entertained the dead with
                      tales of battles fought and flagons of ale. This ale streamed from the
                      udders of a mythic goat named Heidrun, whose endless bounty of beer
                      kept the divine company in a constant state of bliss.

                      On earth, Viking women drank ale, flagon for flagon, along with the
                      men. In a trance-like state, "Bragg" women foretold the future under
                      the influence of the ale they brewed. This "bragging" played a vital
                      role in religious life as did "runes," magical inscriptions placed on
                      ale cups to ward off evil:

                      Ale runes thou must know, if thou wilt not that another's wife thy
                      trust betray, if thou in her confide. On the ale horn must they be graven.

                      Sigdrifumal, 700 A.D.

                      The ancient Finnish people credited the birth of beer to the efforts
                      of three women preparing for a wedding feast. Osmotar, Kapo and
                      Kalevatar all labored unsuccessfully to produce the world's first beer
                      but their efforts fell flat along with the beer. Only when Kalevatar
                      combined saliva from a bear's mouth with wild honey did the beer foam
                      and the gift of ale come into the world of men. From the Kalevala, the
                      ancient Finnish account of the creation of the world we can see the
                      importance of ale in human society. In this early tale of the origin
                      of all things, the creation of ale is given twice the narrative space
                      than is devoted to the creation of the world:

                      Great indeed the reputation of the ancient beer--

                      Said to make the feeble hardy,

                      Famed to dry the tears of women,

                      Famed to cheer the broken-hearted,

                      Make the timid brave and mighty,

                      Fill the heart with joy and gladness,

                      Fill the mind with wisdom,

                      Fill the tongue with ancient legends,

                      Only makes the fool more foolish."

                      Bruce Hector
                    • Hugo Tyson
                      Message 10 of 24 , Feb 26, 2004
                        Blimey, no wonder they were so belligeraent, the hangovers they had must have been horriffic or were they drinking 'small' beer in the morning>??!!!!!!

                        Bruce Hector <bruce_hector@...> wrote:No doubt this all helped the boat building, as it does now.
                        All below is lifted off a viking site:

                        "Abusive beer drinking notwithstanding, beer remained the chief
                        component in all ancient Egyptian medicine and appears to have done
                        far more good than bad to these people of the Nile valley.

                        From the eighth through the tenth centuries A.D., Vikings spread
[...]

                        Bolger rules!!!

                        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
                        Click Here

                      • Chris Lasdauskas
                        Message 11 of 24 , Feb 27, 2004
                          Roger Derby wrote:
                          > Watts is watts is power, independent of the voltage. Any inverter is going
                          > to lose 10 to 20% of the available power. Are there any air conditioners
                          > that draw less than 700 watts?

                          Yes, 3/4 hp ACs are using about 570W

                          Chris
                        • Peter Lenihan
                          Message 12 of 24 , Feb 27, 2004
                            wrote:
                            :
                            > http://www.whispergen.com/index.html
                            >
                            > Looks very interesting Peter,
                            >
                            > Any idea what 750 watts @ 24 DC volts would mean after it went
                            through
                            > an inverter to AC power? Likw, will this sucker run an air
                            condioner,
                            > waher and dryer, etc. or just some lights and a TV?

                            Hi Bruce,
                            I haven't a clue as to what this engine can do regarding your
                            questions but, I figure that if one keeps things simple and goes with
                            12v appliances throughout,then so long as there is fuel for the
                            whispergen,a pirate could stay away from marinas for even longer
                            stretches while keeping ye olde battery bank(s) topped up just
                            right.
                            Add to this solar panels and maybe even a wind generator and
                            about the only reason to stay at a marina,while on a cruise,would be
                            to get more food or to take on some liquid ballast :-)
                            With Windermere,I'm aiming for as complete autonomy as possible
                            from permanent shore side facilites.And ,don't forget,I'm coming from
                            the world of Micro cruising which I enjoyed thoroughly despite some
                            minor sacrifices in animal comforts.With the incredible internal
                            volume afforded by Windermere,the comfort quotient goes right up off
                            the clock and all that enclosed space not only means lots of room for
                            beer-n-ice but great room for all sorts of nifty devices,like the
                            whispergen, to maintain that self-sufficiancy so many of us seek.
                            Only time will tell how the whole lot comes together in one co-
                            hessive package.....gotta get the boat finished first......Arrrrrrgh!
                            Matey!

                            sincerely,

                            Peter Lenihan,boatnut,endless dreamer,builder of Windermere,pirate,
                            beer guzzler par excellence and all around bum,from along the slowly
                            melting shores of the St.Lawrence.............
                          • soussouchew
                            Message 13 of 24 , Feb 27, 2004
                              Any idea how many pieces of eight (or, rather, US$) the
                              afore-said pirate would need to acquire a WhisperGen?

                              Vince
                              Message 14 of 24 , Feb 27, 2004
                                --- Vince wrote:
                                > Any idea how many pieces
                                > of eight (or, rather, US$)
                                > the afore-said pirate would
                                > need to acquire a
                                > WhisperGen?

                                & a similar question from me...

                                Champlain was designed for the
                                criteria of extended stays,
                                away from the marina. PB&F
                                achieved that by specifying
                                a large [900AH] battery bank,
                                which gets charged 'on the plug'
                                about once a week. The idea
                                being, that you need a marina
                                for the hot shower about once
                                a week anyway.

                                What has PB&F specified for
                                Windermere's power system?

                                Even on MicroNav, I squeezed
                                in 40 Watts of photovoltaic
                                panel on the roof and 450 amp hours
                                of batteries. I am guessing that
                                40W panel will take a week for a full
                                charge of those batteries, so assuming
                                use on weekends only, they will solar
                                re-charge during the week.

                                With a roof the size of Windermere,
                                you could have a huge PV array, for
                                a cost on par with a purchased generator?
                              • David Romasco
                                Message 15 of 24 , Feb 27, 2004
                                  Okay, okay.... FWIW, I used to live aboard a Morgan OI36 sloop in the harbor
                                  in St. Thomas, USVI. I had a Siemens 80 volt solar panel, a WindBugger wind
                                  generator, and a 175-amp alternator on my diesel engine. We had three 8D
                                  Prevailer gel-cell batteries @ approx. 245 AH apiece. We also had a 2500
                                  watt Heart inverter/charger. We had 12 volt refrigeration.

                                  Based on the average wind and sun we received (trade winds, tropical sun),
                                  the wind generator and the solar panel kept the battery bank around 90% full
                                  charge. I would usually slip the mooring and motor across the harbor every
                                  Sunday morning for breakfast, a New York Times, and topping off our fresh
                                  water tank (small tank, many showers; my current boat has 240 gallons of the
                                  stuff below decks). Within that system, we ran Hella fans 24/7, had a
                                  good-sized 12 volt refrigerator/freezer, had halogen cabin lighting,
                                  pressure f/w system, good-sized stereo, watched TV/VCR periodically, ran the
                                  microwave, and for the showstopper, the Admiral would occasionally get out
                                  her steam iron and flatten something.

                                  BUT: Reread the above carefully! We had a BIG honking solar panel, the
                                  WindBugger is a massive (and damned dangerous) piece of rotating gear, and
                                  both were operating in an area that might be about as good as it gets for
                                  wind and solar power. In other words, that free lunch might be further away
                                  than you might think! * There are many panels, and many wind generators; I'd
                                  research the claims versus actual delivered performance very carefully
                                  before jumping in.

                                  David Romasco

                                  * - Although.... the Virgin Islands government cut me a check for 50% of the
                                  cost of the Siemens panel. Why was that, you ask? Because I was reducing
                                  the load on the island power grid! I deposited the check and ran.....

                                  _____

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Feb 27, 2004
                                    I had emailed them a couple years ago and they where just setting up dealers in the USA. At that time they ran $12,000 US for the DC and $13,500 US for the AC. That may be different now.

                                    Jeff

                                    Any idea how many pieces of eight (or, rather, US$) the
                                    afore-said pirate would need to acquire a WhisperGen?

                                    Vince

                                    Bolger rules!!!
                                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                                  • Nels
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Feb 27, 2004
                                      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff" <boatbuilding@g...> wrote:
                                      > I had emailed them a couple years ago and they where just setting
                                      up dealers in the USA. At that time they ran $12,000 US for the DC
                                      and $13,500 US for the AC. That may be different now.

                                      > Jeff

                                      By far the best "bang for the buck" when not connected to shore power
                                      is a small 4-stroke genset. The RV industry has perfected these over
                                      the past 15 years. Solar panels just keep getting more and more
                                      expensive and they also seem to be much too delicate. They are
                                      effective as trickle chargers to help keep batteries topped, but they
                                      are not very effective for re-charging deep cycle batteries that have
                                      become discharged. They just don't have enough amperage it what I
                                      have been told.

                                      Two 6 volt golf cart batteries can keep you living off the grid for
                                      up to a week, using the genset as back-up.

                                      I have a 1500 watt portable genset and paid less that $650 cdn. It
                                      will operate a small microwave, but not a A/C. It has a japanese
                                      motor made by Kawasaki. The Honda's are even quieter, but more
                                      expensive.

                                      Cheers, Nels
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Feb 27, 2004
                                        --- David Romasco wrote:
                                        > I had a Siemens ... solar panel,

                                        The RV motorhome people go 'off grid'
                                        a lot, and...

                                        http://www.rvsolarelectric.com/inform.htm

                                        ...has a lot of info to educate how PV systems
                                        are put together.

                                        EBay sells solar panels now for about
                                        $4/watt average price.
                                      • oceanplodder2003
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Feb 27, 2004
                                          -Hi
                                          The whispergen comes from NZ from whence I hail. I know of a 40ft
                                          bridgedeck cat with one installed and it runs all the boats systems
                                          and provides heat for the cabin

                                          PS i'M TOYING WITH BUILDING THE LIGHT SCHOONER, ANYONE GOT ANY HARD
                                          DATA ON PERFORMANCE????

                                        • dnjost
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Feb 27, 2004
                                            AHA!!!
                                            Now it all makes sense to me: Avast ye maties! This is why Canadian
                                            Ale is soooo much better than the imitation American Pilsner that is
                                            commonly consumed in the USofA.

                                            The Vikings actually went to Canada in their longboats and used beer
                                            as ballast!!! then, once they ran out...they needed more to resupply
                                            for the return voyage and introduced brewing to my northern cousins.

                                            south of the border it is rumoured that Leif Erickson actually
                                            landed in Bass River in Yarmouth, Massachusetts. But, judging by the
                                            lack of a real proper brewpub on the South Cape, I doubt the truth
                                            of this rumor.

                                            The Budweiser company actually stole the name of their product from
                                            the town of Bud (pronouned Bood) in the Czec Republic. Bud Weiser
                                            mean Bud water, which in the American product rings true. it really
                                            is like water. Pils (Czec Republic) is also nearby. If you want a
                                            real pilsner this is a must for the avid beer drinker.

                                            So, to bring this into a Bolger boating topic. If I build an AS29
                                            and use several kegs of a fine Pilsner as ballast. It actually may
                                            allow for longer distance voyaging. As well as attract good crew
                                            for company.

                                            Happy Building!
                                            David Jost
                                            "tomorrow marks the first decent day to work on the boat since
                                            November!"

                                            > > Did the vikings have beer in 900 AD?
                                          • builtaboat
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Feb 27, 2004
                                              Ah! Then you would be looking for the James Bond model?

                                            • gasner@aol.com
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Feb 27, 2004
                                                Just saw a 5600 BTU/hr high efficiency air conditioner (rating 11) at Sears
                                                that is rated at 4.9 amp at 120 volt. That would be 588 watts. (More for
                                                starting, of course.)

                                                Earl

                                                Message 23 of 24 , Feb 27, 2004
                                                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "dnjost" <djost@m...> wrote:
                                                  > So, to bring this into a Bolger boating topic. If I build an
                                                  AS29
                                                  > and use several kegs of a fine Pilsner as ballast. It actually
                                                  may
                                                  > allow for longer distance voyaging. As well as attract good crew
                                                  > for company.

                                                  David,
                                                  About the longest cruising you'll get done with a"good"
                                                  crew,especially if they're Canadian,is not very far since they'll
                                                  have your ballast tanks empty before the stroke of midnight :-)
                                                  But never fear,while you wait for part of the crew to return from
                                                  another beer raiding party ashore,a couple of them could be
                                                  compelled to load up the bilge with some real Viking
                                                  ballast.......beach stones! Imagine the fine thirst I... OOOOPS!...I
                                                  mean THEY will have once the ballast is all loaded and the raiding
                                                  crew return :-D
                                                  As far as keeping this a "Bolger boating topic", it doesn't really
                                                  matter what type of boat you build,supply the beer and you'll have a
                                                  crowd/crew :-)

                                                  Sincerely,

                                                  Peter Lenihan
                                                • Burnett Draughn