Re: Black Skimmer - leeboard raising, etc

  • Wayne Gilham
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 3, 2004
      John: beware: I'm long winded.

      Here goes.

      haven't actively sailed her for a few years now (she also awaits a fresh
      coat of paint on a rather severely checked hull -- be SURE you glass& epoxy
      her, or build her of MDO, or really hi-quality marine ply, else you'll be
      fighting checking forever after....) --- so the following is subject to
      rather hazy recollections.

      1) points really tight, but slides somewhat off to leeward, compared to a
      deep fin-keel "frozen-snot" boat. As with any non-jibbed boat, she prefers
      to not be pinched, runs a lot free-er with a few degrees off minimum
      possible pointing angle... thought the distance is longer, the speed is so
      much more that she probably makes a better VMG toward the "mark" when she's
      running free, not pinched... Never got into trouble; always was able to
      keep off lee shores in the Chesapeake, etc. Remember also, that with her
      capability to sail in a few inches of water (even continue sailing -- and
      pointing! - but sliding more - with all boards up!) you can skirt a LOT
      closer to headlands, so your path may be much more direct than a deeper-keel
      boat.

      2) I have two reefs sewn into the sail, now each is outfitted with
      jiffy-reef" tackle leading forward on the boom. Mind you, the following is
      ONLY feasible if you have the mainsail on a sailtrack up the mast -- won't
      work nearly as well with a laced-on sail, as then there's no way to drop the
      sail downward without unhooking the snotter from the mast.

      I used to simply unhook the clew from a reefing-hook on the stern end of my
      boom (ok, ok, "sprit-boom"), then re-hook same hook in the next-up clew
      cringle -- but I got slapped silly a few times by the flogging sail as she
      was lowered by her halyard. I also found it was necessary to use a
      topping-lift on the end of the boom, or things got a bit heavy... Yes, there
      was no problem in simply letting the spritboom go WAAAY forward (just took
      LOTS of snotter line length, especially as I'd rigged this snotter as a
      three-part tackle!). It DID get a bit unwieldy and I lost the vanging
      effect when I went to the second reef, as then the boom WAS too far forward.
      ..

      Now I sail with separate lines anchored on the sprit-boom, already thru
      both clew cringles, then down again to the boom thru a cheek-block and
      cleated off to cleats further forward on that spritboom easily reachable
      from standing-up in the cockpit. Therefore, when it's time for the first
      reef, I ease the snotter a bunch, drop the halyard an already-marked amount,
      pull on the jiffy-reef line (which pulls the first-reef clew right down to
      the boom, well forward of the un-reefed clew) go forward to hook the
      next-higher tack cringle back into my 6-part downhaul hook (a windsurfer
      part!), pull the halyard up tight, tighten the snotter again, and really
      pull some tension into the leech with that very powerful downhaul. Then at
      my leisure I tie the half-dozen reef-lines that are always left threaded
      thru the sail, just to gather the now useless and lightly flopping excess
      bottom-of-main into a sausage. If you've never seen jiffy-reef gear and how
      it's set-up to pull the bottom slab of mainsail down to the boom, go to the
      Harken catalog (excellent diagrams in the back!) or snoop your local marina
      most small to mid-size standard (marconi) rigged sloops use this system
      nowadays.

      I think when I rig her again, I'll also put jiffy-reef lines on the tack
      cringles at the mast, so I then have the option of avoiding that crawl
      across the cabin-top, I could get away without the super-powerful downhaul
      (but sure is nice to REALLY flatten the sail!)

      I also have scored a full wishbone-type boom (like the ones used on a
      Nonsuch Catboat), if I ever choose to rig this up, I'd simply form a basket
      of lines to catch the excess sail as I reef her....

      Being a bit gung-ho about tweaking sail-shape, I've led not just the halyard
      but all the mainsail shaping control lines (snotter, downhaul) aft to the
      aftmost edge of the cabin-top, each with its own cam-cleat (scrounged from
      many a consignment chandlery -- hate to think what all these rigging
      bits&pieces would cost retail). Ok, ok, my boat ain't rigged to Bolger's
      KISS philosophy, but boy can I shape that sail beautifully. No way do I
      have as much shape-control on my marconi-rigged Irwin sloop! And shape DOES
      make a mighty big difference in performance....

      3) I'm SURE she's been out in 20kts plus... never had even the sense of a
      knockdown", tho a few times I swear that the top edge of the cockpit coaming
      (on this boat, that's also the hullside!) was splitting a furrow thru green
      water as we roared along. There ain't much freeboard on the leeward side
      when she's well-heeled... Keep her moving, that's the way for Bolger's
      wonderful hull dynamics to keep everything safe. Never had water ('cept
      spray) come on-board. Heavier-wind sailing is a definite "Wahoo!!!"

      4) Y'know, I probably should admit right up front now, that the mainsail
      and mast ain't per Black Skimmer plans; it's actually a beautifully tapered
      box-mast and perfectly matched sail as originally installed on Bolger-Design
      "Red Zinger" (see BWOAM chapter 63 pg 333, especially the comment in
      paragraph 2 about the effects of a good sailmaker on performance!); was
      bought directly from the builder Dr Richard Zapf as he converted THAT boat
      to an aluminum-tube mast for greater stiffness so he could fly spinnakers in
      his very active racing campaign of that boat. Turns out that the general
      dimensions of this rig's main is nearly the same as "Black Skimmer" - clew a
      bit higher, otherwise very close. In the process of adapting this mast to
      my boat, utilizing sketched recommendations Bolger sent me on request, (I've
      found he's VERY responsive to assist in SENSIBLE modifications, will
      otherwise courteously tell you to blow off if your ideas are absurd....) I
      made up a pivoting tabernackle at cabin-top height (out of pre-galvanized
      trailer-roller brackets!) -- yes, the mast-heel JUST clears the stem -- and
      a lock-in-place mast-heel bracket; raising the mast ain't easy, certainly
      nothing so easy as a Micro.... heel below the pivot is way too short, and
      not counter-balanced, so requires winching her up with the trailer-winch and
      a sort of ginpole, but it's feasible. That's an entirely 'nother story and
      desperately needs sketches to explain it.

      Why Zapf's mast on my boat? Don't EVER store a laminated solid mast on the
      ground thru the winter -- mine (the original one, already had survived some
      20 years of USE) sprouted mushrooms out one plank-end, after just one winter
      on the ground, which of course destroyed its structural strength. The mast
      as designed is an awfully massive chunk of wood; kept the house warm for a
      number of days as I burned her, 18" section by 18" section.... still hurt
      anyway, reminding me of my stupidity.

      I'd be worried that the Solent Lug rig wouldn't allow you a firm enough
      leech to control sail-shape well -- I bet you'd be re-cutting the mainsail
      more than a few times till everything was working together to distribute
      loads across that "joint", unless you really lucked out to find a sailmaker
      well-experienced in such a rig. Talk to other owners with experience using
      this Bolger-designed, Bolger-approved modification.

      5) mine came with plate-steel ballast. What a bother for my renovation. (do
      it RIGHT first!) As I found my boat in derelict-condition, the steel plates
      were badly rusted and flaking. quite a project to lift them out of the
      cabin (they're HEAVY! and JUSSSSST fit out thru the framing/companionway)...
      Would have cost a FORTUNE to galvanize, since galvanizers charge by the
      weight of the object, so I had the three sections sandblasted to "white
      metal" then I painted with Pettit's "TrailerCote" a miracle product if ever
      there were one... has held up quite well for some ten years... salt water
      and fresh... IF you DO put plate steel in, rustproof it WELL! also, I
      suggest you space it off the bottom with a collection of thin strips of
      plastic (say 1/8 x 1/4/ x 12") so that water trapped between plates and
      bottom has a chance to drain out. OR embed the plates completely to the
      plywood with an epoxy-slurry or SikaFlex so NO water can get under. Water
      under with no way to drain out, means a constantly wet cabin interior (tho
      my boat was fitted with complete floorboards over the steel plate....)

      Sorry, can't advise wisdom of concrete.

      6) no, I brought her up from poor condition. Sometimes I think it would
      have been easier to build her from scratch... see especially my comment on
      plywood checking....

      7) Leeboard on leeward side is pinned with TONS of force to the bracket on
      side of the boat; never bangs. Leeboard on windward side will certainly go
      goosewing", so I would bring her up and park her on the lenghtwise hull-side
      bracket right in the middle of coming about EVERY tack, as soon as the
      pressure let off --- Probably less work than changing jibsheet sides every
      tack as on a typical sloop...(But those boards ARE quite heavy as weighted
      with lead per design -- need to be, to drop down properly -- and
      as-designed, the geometry requires you to lift the pennant STRAIGHT UP well
      outboard of the cockpit coaming... a true back-breaker. thus the necessity
      of the aforementioned "davits" - these would hold the windward board up high
      till the tacking procedures were nearly over, then at my leisure I could
      reach under the leading edge and pull it inward onto the aft end of that
      shelf-bracket (which, by the way, should be reinforced with a diagonal down
      to the hull, to hold this board-weight, else it might break off -- mine did
      once -- my diagonal piece was bent out of an aluminum yardstick: with only
      1/8" thickness exposed to the rushing water, there isn't much resistance).

      As for single-handing, WITH the davits, no sweat. Without them, VERY iffy
      every tack, too much to do away from the tiller! (unless I was willing to
      let one board go "goosewing"). Virtually required crew, just like a
      jibsheet-handler on a sloop.... In a very light breeze, calm seas, with
      quick-tacking up-channel, I could ignore the windward board, since Bolger's
      ingeneous dutch tie-down of the top of the board did allow for a safe
      winging-out, (the board would often go several feet away from the hullside,
      or even skate along the surface!) but I wouldn't want that board banging
      around in any slop, for sure!

      Addendum: Naaaah, don't go for a finkeel; part of the charm of the design
      is learning to live with the positives and the negatives of these very well
      designed and executed leeboards. In particular, refer back to my point #1;
      shallow-water sailing has REAL tactical and navigational advantages. And
      what a joy to be able to BEACH her! for a swim, for a quiet lunch, for
      bird-watching, for any excuse to stop sailing and relax a bit.... couldn't
      do that with some funny appendage hanging permanently down below that FLAT
      bottom....The negatives NEVER outweighed the positives of leeboards in my
      usage of the boat. After adding the "davits" for easier lifting, now I can
      truly say the leeboards would be the last thing I'd change.

      Regards,

      Wayne Gilham.

      P.S. writing all this is getting the juices flowing to do what's gotta be
      done to re-launch her....

      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 3, 2004
        >6) no, I brought her up from poor condition. Sometimes I think it would
        >have been easier to build her from scratch... see especially my comment on
        >plywood checking....

        Having done the same with a Birdwatcher I have to say I agree. Might not
        hae been easier but certainly would have taken less time!
        --
        Craig O'Donnell
        Sinepuxent Ancestors & Boats

        -- Macintosh kinda guy
        Friend of Wanda the Wonder Cat, 1991-1997.
        _________________________________
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 3, 2004
          --- Wayne Gilham wrote:
          > Here goes. ..