Re: water ballast

  • Nels
    Message 1 of 47 , Feb 1, 2004
      I did a little research on Musicbox3 which is the Michalak version of
      MICRO using water ballest and a single leeboard. It seems the plans
      were drawn in 2001 and so far none have been built.

      Obviously many people view water ballest as being advantageous and
      Michalak is one of those people.

      From what I have read, PCB&F are not as enthusiastic about it. Their
      one design, (Martha Jane) had some stability problems I have heard.
      Since then all their designs seem to favor solid ballest or none at
      all.

      Cheers, Nels
    • oneillparker
      Message 47 of 47 , Feb 1, 2004
        Free surface effect? I don't follow. Nor did I say anything about
        water ballast 'sloshing around in the bilge,' because you're right,
        sloshing water does nothing for righting moment - but neither does
        water ballast in a bilge filled with sloshing water. picture those
        plastic jugs of water 'ballast' tied with string to a frame member in
        the bilge of a skiff half filled with water. The jugs meader around
        at neutral bounancy (disregarding the jug itself) contributing zero
        to stability until the boat is heeled enough to bring a jug out of
        the water.

        But in a dry bilge where the water in the jugs no longer has to
        displace it's own volume in water before it acts to weigh down the
        hull the jug is continually pressing against the bottom of the hull,
        weighing the boat down, adding to stability.

        I think your statement that it depends on how you "draw the envelope"
        is dead on. In a given boat, whether ballast in put in the boat or
        tacked on outside the boat has the potential to make a huge
        difference depending on the density of the ballast, and can actually
        contribute nothing to stability (water) or even give negative
        stabilty (foam) because tacking on ballast outside a given hull in
        effect adds to the overall volume of the hull. Placeing the same
        ballast inside the hull makes the boat float deeper, but doesn't
        change the shape of the boat - no matter what the displacement of the
        ballast itself - thus potentially adding to stability depending where
        it is placed.

        On a boat STILL ON PAPER, the distinctions between outside and inside
        water ballast can be less clear depending on the priorities of the
        designer, because one way or the other room has to be found for the
        ballast. If the boat has to be given more volume in order to add
        ballast without compromising other priorities (like headroom) then
        the distinction between 'inside' and 'outside' ballast - as far as
        the designer is concerned - becomes fuzzy - because if to make room
        for the ballast the designer has to deepen the keel or harden the
        bilge - thus changing the overall volume - the designer is, in
        effect, tacking on the ballast 'outside' despite the fact that the
        builder will actually be placing the ballast 'inside.'

        John O'Neill

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "John Bell" <smallboatdesigner@m...>