Re: Micro comparisons

  • gavin atkin
    Message 1 of 33 , Feb 1, 2004
      bolger@yahoogroups.com wrote:
      Message: 2
      Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 19:00:16 -0000
      From: "pvanderwaart"

      Subject: Re: Micro comparisons

      >Anyone considering Micro, and who rejects Long Micro as too big,
      should run Oldshoe (http://www.ace.net.au/schooner/oldshoe.htm)
      through the mental processor. It's enough smaller to make the
      building easier and quicker, but the cockpit may be better. No cabin
      at all of course, and it would take some doing to make it a cruiser.
      >Still, I sometimes wonder why it hasn't been more popular.

      I've wondered about that too, for it seems to me that in many ways it would make a good boat for an open boat cruising enthusiast, and an inexpensive day boat for others.

      I think the answer must be that weight and slow speed are prices people are prepared to pay for sheltered accommodation - but a lighter, faster boat is more appealing to them the rest of the time.

      I'm half-guessing about the speed bit, but I don't think the Oldshoe is going to be a Laser.

      Gav

    • Bruce Hector
      Message 33 of 33 , Feb 9, 2004
        Did you notice that it's a spud barge. Two poles on the starboard side
        that can be dropped into the mud/botom to anchor it in place for hors
        of sketching or painting without changing the view.

        Strange, how we tend to think we've just invented everything last week.

        Bruce Hector
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SunCoastRowingClub/
        Join us for a fun pull every Wednesday eve on Florida's west coast.